Mass Effect 3 Gives Steam a Miss at Launch

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
anthony87 said:
Jellly said:
"Playing Mass Effect 3 multiplayer will require a constant connection."

Well there's plenty of other games to play anyway, looks like ME3 can wait.
But...if the multiplayer is online wouldn't you NEED a constant connection to...y'know, stay connected?
Sense; his post makes none. It's funny how people come up with some really dumb arguments when EA is involved.

Michael Zipp said:
They do realize they will probably lose sales to this right? I'm sick of companies like EA. Valve and Steam work wonderfully, why go away from that? I'm more likely to pirate the game and find a way to send money straight to Bioware now. Even if it's a damn check in the mail.

I also give it 2-3 days tops before the internet finds a way to crack ME3 to run without Origin.
And just like that the mods are gonna come after you for admitting to piracy. I'd run if I were you, or at least edit your post.

Feb 13, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
and are happy to partner with any download service that does not restrict our ability to connect directly with our consumers."
In other words, EA want direct access to their customers.

Why's that EA? Given that Wadjet, Team Meat, Bioware, Bethesda, Firaxis, iD, Activision and others are still able to communicate directly - through Steam?

Is it because Steam won't give you access to customers peripheral details and software loadout - that Origin requires? And that Steam won't do unless you allow it to.

How strange.

Or is it because Steam made a billion [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107536-Steam-Flirts-With-1-Billion-in-2010], EA lost nearly 5 billion [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/7.337275.13625063], but regained a billion through Digital - allegedly? [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.338023-EA-Breaks-a-Billion-Bucks-in-Digital]

How odd indeed.

But it must be Steam. Especially when EA have underlined exactly which parts of Steam's contract they have problems with.

Oh...

And hold on:

Mass Effect 3 will require a one time, single authorization for the single player game.
Origin is required for the PC versions of Mass Effect 3, both physical and digital.
But Origin is constant authorisation connection. So Single/Multi Player is constant connection, I think? Which is fine for all of us that have superfast broadband that never cuts out - which, at last count, was maybe 5% of us?

Before we even talk about the 4 separate areas between training camp and mission end that Bioware are bound to have made up - along with the two characters that rescue you - one based around mystical cybernetics and the other on pure strength.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
It's a good thing that my Shepard is on my 360 then, because I won't install Origin on my computer.

cardinalwiggles

is the king of kong
Jun 21, 2009
massive decision here i won't be buying ME3 then. i refuse to buy from EA for business practises i disagree about. with the online pass system (blergh) to this pettiness with steam. if you play in someone elses playground you gotta play nice. you can't come over and demand they do everything like you need it to be, you wouldn't be invited back. wish they would sort this out.

Comando96

May 26, 2009
I'm buying this off of Steam only...

There is a key word there... its not Steam and its not only...

EA have just lost extra money off of me by doing this... sad... I really don't want Bioware to suffer but... can't be helped.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
If the game doesn't come to steam, eventually, i'll be very unhappy, since I own both Mass Effect 1 and 2 on steam...

EA needs to stop being a baby...

Radioactive Kitten

Nov 16, 2009
I enjoyed ME1 and ME2, but I will not be buying ME3. I was going to buy it retail if it wasn't going to launch of Steam, but since it requires Origin, I will not be purchasing it at all.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
anthony87 said:
Jellly said:

But...if the multiplayer is online wouldn't you NEED a constant connection to...y'know, stay connected?

I thought that at first, but what this means is it can screw up LAN games. Also, what happens if their verification server goes down? Even if all the game servers are up, the overloaded verification server is still preventing you from playing.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
This will be the only time that I'm glad my saves are stuck on my 360, although considering how little I use that anymore I might end up just passing on the game all together.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Ea and their download service Origin has not done anything to wrong me yet so I am alright with using it to play Mass Effect 3. Hopefully EA and Steam resolve their differences.

Plumerou

Mar 7, 2011
i heard that the restrictions they talk about is buying DLC from within the game to avoid paying to Valve a little percentage, but im not sure thats the case, so can someone please confirm this? i remember reading it somewhere, but cant really remember where

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I'm buying it on consoles due to this. Also, I hope their PC sales bomb fucking miserably and then they decide to change it because of that, and then no one still buys it just to spite them. That would make my day.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
"Its all Valve's fault that they wont let us host Origin through Steam! So your getting screwed over because their the ones trying to steal money from us by being so complicated!", is what i hear when i think about this.

Seriously, EA are the only people having trouble with steam, and its because they want 100% of the cut to themselves.

While i love computergaming, and im an avid computer gamer, there are times like this when im glad to enjoy owning a console.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
basically no matter what we are being shoehorned into Origin and the only way not to is not play the game

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
I would pay extra for DLC for BioWare games if they would sell it through Steam. The authorization service was such a buggy piece of shit that I had to figure out how to turn it on because it was off by default when it came to Dragon Age DLC. Even once I turned it on in my system tasks I had to mess with it so that it would realize I should access the DLC I fucking paid for.

Vuliev

Jul 19, 2011
Jellly said:

Have a feeling you misread that, mate. Doesn't every multiplayer mode require a constant internet connection? :p

Anyway, this is definitely a lost sale from me, and it's extraordinarily disappointing that EA has their heads so far up their collective ass that they can't see the hit they'll take from this.

Vuliev

Jul 19, 2011
Vindictus said:
This is getting worse and worse. I really hate to deny Bioware hard-earned money, but I'm not happy with Origin being active for a game like Mass Effect. Looks like I'll be AHRUAGHURAJG
Might want to edit your post before you incur mod wrath. Happened to me as well my first time on here.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I don't see the point in having a Steam copy if you also need Origin running. What's next, Half Life 3 offered through Origin?

I'd care more if I could play Mass Effect without it crashing every hour (more if I turn the graphics up to something reasonable). Maybe it will work on my next PC, whenever that is, and I can finish it and ME2 and then pick up the third one cheap if the Origin requirement has been removed of I've hit my head and decided to have a whole pile of software running in the background.