Mass Effect 3 M.Player on Gold...have you survived?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
boag said:
Been through a couple of maps, still need to do the rest to earn the achievement, and I am still far an along away from the Krogan Gold Challenge

Don't have time to watch the whole video at this moment, but from what I can see the "Krogan Challenge" is completing Gold with 4 Krogan soldiers? Gotta say I don't see how that would be challenging enough to warrant being considered some kind of "special challenge".

Completing gold with 4 Turian Soldiers...now I bet that would be tough. :p

boag

Sep 13, 2010
RJ 17 said:
boag said:
Been through a couple of maps, still need to do the rest to earn the achievement, and I am still far an along away from the Krogan Gold Challenge

Don't have time to watch the whole video at this moment, but from what I can see the "Krogan Challenge" is completing Gold with 4 Krogan soldiers? Gotta say I don't see how that would be challenging enough to warrant being considered some kind of "special challenge".

Completing gold with 4 Turian Soldiers...now I bet that would be tough. :p
Using Melee only.

At least Turians get those rich bonuses to stability and weapon damage to make up for their lack of dodge roll, Krogans only get melee and defense bonuses which mean jack shit in gold.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I've survived it a few times, although always on my Engineer with +200% cast rate. Never managed to beat a Reaper game on Gold though. The Banshees, Brutes, and Ravagers toward the end of the game just become far too much of a problem for the groups I've been in. I haven't exactly been with the optimal team builds, though. Just random matchmaking.

tendaji

Aug 15, 2008
I recently found out a little glitch (or at least what seems like one) If you have a combat drone and deploy it on top of the Banshee, she'll keep trying to teleport closer to that drone and be stuck on that drone for a good 30 seconds to a minutes allowing the entire group to just open fire without her moving. After a while she'll finally start using her AoE which destroys the drone and she'll start moving again. I thought it was interesting because I've noticed this happening quite often when I deploy my Combat Drone against her.

As for Brutes, if you have the armor piercing ammo or mod + Incinerate will mean that they can't stand a chance against you. Especially if you have the +200% recharge and specced right.

Phantoms are capable of being Stasis Bubbled, all you have to do is charge them with a shotgun after that and they are as good as dead seeing as a 1m Shotgun Headshot does insane damage.

Atlases are basically Overload Spam followed by Incinerate Spam. Just don't try to give them hugs as I found out that they like to grab my characters too much.

Also what I did was spec for Chain Overloadx3 + Neural Shock, so when there are a group of heavy enemies attacking us, what I do is use the Overload on the ranged enemies to stun them for a few seconds so we don't have to worry about then shooting us as he take down the Brutes or Banshees.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
RJ 17 said:
Tohuvabohu said:
I 3 manned a gold game a few nights ago with my friends. Firebase Bronze (I think that's what it's called.) with a human soldier, salarian engineer, and myself as a Krogan sentinel. We were fighting against cerberus.

We did have another person with us. But he turned out to be worthless and got his ass handed to him at least 5 times in wave 1. He left during wave 2 after dropping 5 more times.

Luckily the rest of us were able to finish off the game. Best tactic: Keep moving.

Because Firebase Bronze has a pretty solid circular structure, it's not too hard to continually run in circles, forcing every enemy behind us then picking a temporary spot to hunker down at. But, it DID take us around 40 minutes to clear the game... Some waves just seemed to go on and on and on. And getting attacked by 6 phantoms at once was also pretty troublesome.

But, we did finish it. Full extraction. Took every ounce of teamwork and coordination we could muster. Felt good man.

Random but: Has anyone noticed that the Shockwave ability seems to have a tendency to outright stop working? I almost never play a human adept because this happens to me ALL the time.
Afraid I haven't even touched the Adept yet, so I really don't know about Shockwave's ineffectiveness.

As for Gold, yeah, that's pretty much all you can do. It's impossible to have your squad pick a corner and hold it the entire game. You can have your "preferred starting point" for the beginning of each wave, but it inevitably boils down to running from spot to spot, picking off a few here and there before moving on.

But I gotta say I'm damn impressed that you beat Gold against Cerberus...because yeah, those frickin' Phantoms attack in swarms and all hell can very quickly break out when you've got 4 or 5 of'em flipping around between you and your squadmates. Like I said, the Geth Hunters themselves are a complete pain in the ass, but at least they can't insta-kill you like the Phantoms. But the Hunters are sooooooo fast now and just relentlessly aggressive.

I really need to get my Quarian Engineer up to 20 so I can start using her on Gold...the turret ability is very, VERY useful in slowing down the exalted march of the enemy forces.
Don't level up the 'float' skill in Shockwave, it negates the knockback/brief stun you can get on shielded enemies with vanilla - just passes through them.

And see I was actually wondering if Stasis would work on Phantoms, I thought they had that thing that negates tech and biotic attacks, but yeah, if Stasis does work (in my opinion it's the most overpowered power in the game) against them then I can see Cerberus being the easiest group to fight.
Stasis is only negated by armor, making it ubur effective against Cerberus.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
boag said:
Ahhhh, now that I can see being a bit more challenging. :p

Though I have seen a Krogan Soldier going 1 on 1 with Brutes on Silver and just melee'ing them to death, I was quite impressed by that considering the lack of Krogan dodging abilities that you mentioned.

But speaking of the dodge, I'll give no backward or forward roll for the Krogan and Turian characters...but why not a quick little side-step like the Quarians get?

boag

Sep 13, 2010
RJ 17 said:
boag said:
Ahhhh, now that I can see being a bit more challenging. :p

Though I have seen a Krogan Soldier going 1 on 1 with Brutes on Silver and just melee'ing them to death, I was quite impressed by that considering the lack of Krogan dodging abilities that you mentioned.

But speaking of the dodge, I'll give no backward or forward roll for the Krogan and Turian characters...but why not a quick little side-step like the Quarians get?
Their humps get in the way ;D

but yeah, Krogans get Damage Reduction when they enter Bloodrage, and they get it for landing 3 consecutive melee attacks.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
TsunamiWombat said:
And see I was actually wondering if Stasis would work on Phantoms, I thought they had that thing that negates tech and biotic attacks, but yeah, if Stasis does work (in my opinion it's the most overpowered power in the game) against them then I can see Cerberus being the easiest group to fight.
So it works against a Phantom with full barriers? Sweet. I'll talk to my friends about that...as it certainly makes Cerberus a HELL of a lot easier if you can neutralize the Phantoms that way. Like I said in a previous response: the Phantoms are the only serious threat that Cerberus has.

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
My friends and I did Cerberus Gold back in the demo. I don't recall at this point what our setup was, but I believe it was a human vanguard, human infiltrator, asari adept and quarian engineer.

Since then I haven't really been able to get my group of friends together for tougher matches, so I've been sticking to silver. A few days ago however I joined a lobby, not really paying attention, and when we got flung into the match against Cerberus it felt like I was taking ridiculous damage from everything. Turns out the leader had switched it to Gold.

So we 3 manned gold up until wave 8, when a buddy of mine hopped in. The setup was a kickass Asari adept, myself as a Drell adept (two adepts destroy Atlas', seriously it's just stumble, stumble, stumble - dead), a Turian sentinel, and then my buddy joined as a Turian soldier.

It was not nearly as hard as I recall from the demo, but the Asari adept probably could have solo'd the whole thing. I wasn't in a very focused mindset at the time, so I made stupid choices that got me killed (mostly up until the point when I realized it was on gold), but for a 3 manned pub match, with absolutely no mics/communication, we rocked it.

Looking forward to trying Gold Reapers.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
I haven't even tried. I'm pretty good I think. Right now I have a level 20 Vanguard which normally serves me well, with a fairly minimum amount of dying from time to time. It's normally banshees that get me. Also trying to level up the others, but I like the Vanguard's playing style more due to being able to be on a near-constant offensive thanks to the 100% shield recharge from my charge.

I've done all the enemies on silver, including reapers. But since I do random matchmaking I don't feel comfortable enough with trying gold when we normally have a rough time with silver due to some people not being very good (sometimes myself being one depending on class used).

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Only beaten it 2 times so far, no particular strategies but all the attempts started out the same, namely had a group that steamrolled silver, nobody left afte the match so the leader set us to gold.

All I can think of strategy wise is that it becomes a neccesity to have an infiltrator on the team that knows the map well enough to be able to run the 3 miles across the map to rez the guy who aggroed the 3 phantoms.

Oh, and plenty of Javalin missiles.

If people I knew played the game or the matchmaking system was worth a damn and had a friend feature, might have had a few more successes, but I'll take my victories where I can get 'em.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
About a dozen times.

Gold isn't that hard as people make it out to be although I've never beaten gold with the Reapers running about.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Kapol said:
I haven't even tried. I'm pretty good I think. Right now I have a level 20 Vanguard which normally serves me well, with a fairly minimum amount of dying from time to time. It's normally banshees that get me. Also trying to level up the others, but I like the Vanguard's playing style more due to being able to be on a near-constant offensive thanks to the 100% shield recharge from my charge.

I've done all the enemies on silver, including reapers. But since I do random matchmaking I don't feel comfortable enough with trying gold when we normally have a rough time with silver due to some people not being very good (sometimes myself being one depending on class used).
A bit of warning/advice: if you get by with your Vanguard by doing the charge-nova-charge-nova combo, you might want to rethink your strategy on Gold. It might work for Bronze and the first half of Silver, but on gold it's a very good way to find yourself getting shot from every enemy on the map.

TakeshiLive

Mar 8, 2012
I did Firebase Giant with only one Quarian Infiltrator against the Geth. Our tactic was "Hide-in-the-command-room-and-not-die." It worked kinda well and the (full) extraction was the most intense time I've ever had on ME3 :D

Neaco

Aug 17, 2009
usually i try to work with vanguards since they can set-off biotic explosions easily. warp, warp, warp. biotic explosions everywhere. its usually good to have an infiltrator (quarian mostly) who is on medic duty since they can snipe in the back while watching the team.

then again, i promote my classes right away so i rarely play gold.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
RJ 17 said:
TsunamiWombat said:
So it works against a Phantom with full barriers? Sweet. I'll talk to my friends about that...as it certainly makes Cerberus a HELL of a lot easier if you can neutralize the Phantoms that way. Like I said in a previous response: the Phantoms are the only serious threat that Cerberus has.
Just remember to always get stasis bubble, ALWAYS, its not negotiable.

Kingme18

Destroyer of Worlds
Mar 26, 2011
tendaji said:
RJ 17 said:
tendaji said:
Only against Cerberus so far, I've had a ton of training from the beta that they are basically no longer a threat against me anymore. Reapers rape my team on Silver so I'm afraid of what they do on Gold, and Geth love pyros WAYYY tooo much
I can't see getting past the Cerberus Phantoms, THOSE guys mess up my team even on Silver. Reapers are tough, but we don't have serious problems with them on Silver...I'd HATE to go up against a swarm of Banshees on Gold though...yeah, that's not gonna happen. As for the Geth, as I mentioned in my OP: We had 3 Quarian Infiltrators with Sabotage. It's not as effective as it used to be, but it's still a very big help. If nothing else it acts as an effect geth stunner attack, and yeah, hacking those same pyros that you hate so much can be VERY useful when you've got 3 of them melting the face off a Prime.
Well the great thing about Phantoms is that they can be put into Stasis, so have an Adept with the Stasis bubble, and Gold is incredibly easy cause you just removed a major threat from your gameplay.
RJ 17 said:
TsunamiWombat said:
Stasis only works against phantoms once or twice, so you HAVE to kill them the first time you put them into stasis! There is nothing worse than sending a stasis onto a phantom only to find out that they're immune to it.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Kingme18 said:
Yeah, I figured as much, it's the same way with Sabotage and the Geth. Each time you hack them it becomes less and less effective until about the 4th time when they become fully immune to it.

jamjar

Mar 15, 2012
I managed to get it on Giant against geth with 2 human engineers, a quarian infiltrator and a krogan, You have 3 people at the top of that base sniping down to the start point (or assault rifle, either or) and have one guy (me engineer) sniping down the other side (side with the ladder if you can't understand that) to stop the flanking you. They get most of the points but you end up taking out numerous pyros and hunters. They always go for the ladder so you can deploy a drone and back up and then waste them. Helps if when you take on pyros to snipe the fuel tank and let them explode while you focus n other targets (cough...primes). Works really well until round 8/9 and there are too many of them, its still effective but you back up to the top a lot. You can get quite a few grabs as well since all geth except primes can be grabbed. Final round (evac) defend that area until 30 seconds left, if you have remaining cobras get a few multikills and sprint to the evac. Works really well as long as people don't chase the enemy. Don't have any tips for when the objectives come up though. If its data download, have 3 people for as long as possible while the other lures enemies away/snipes, the enemies spawn pretty close. For targets stick to the main tactic. For those four things, luck of the draw, for me they were close by and our tactic didn't have to change.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
jamjar said:
I managed to get it on Giant against geth with 2 human engineers, a quarian infiltrator and a krogan, You have 3 people at the top of that base sniping down to the start point (or assault rifle, either or) and have one guy (me engineer) sniping down the other side (side with the ladder if you can't understand that) to stop the flanking you. They get most of the points but you end up taking out numerous pyros and hunters. They always go for the ladder so you can deploy a drone and back up and then waste them. Helps if when you take on pyros to snipe the fuel tank and let them explode while you focus n other targets (cough...primes). Works really well until round 8/9 and there are too many of them, its still effective but you back up to the top a lot. You can get quite a few grabs as well since all geth except primes can be grabbed. Final round (evac) defend that area until 30 seconds left, if you have remaining cobras get a few multikills and sprint to the evac. Works really well as long as people don't chase the enemy. Don't have any tips for when the objectives come up though. If its data download, have 3 people for as long as possible while the other lures enemies away/snipes, the enemies spawn pretty close. For targets stick to the main tactic. For those four things, luck of the draw, for me they were close by and our tactic didn't have to change.
Yeah, the best-laid plans often go straight to hell when the Objective rounds kick in. The first one isn't so bad, 2nd one gets tricky, but that last objective wave can just become full-blown insanity...ESPECIALLY if you get crapped on by having a "Defend The Circle" objective...yeah, that's a real easy way to have 7 Geth Hunters killing your squad in a matter of seconds.

:p But you do bring up the point about the evac wave. I REALLY hate seeing people camping out the evac zone with a minute and 30 seconds left...for the love of god, people, you've already finished the hard part: the final objective wave! Now you just gotta dick around on the opposite side of the map from the evac zone and just gradually make your way back around so you don't have to worry about a literal flood of enemies filling up that blue circle and murdering your face. To be fair, as an Infiltrator, it's easy for me to simply cloak and make a sprint straight to the evac zone with 20 seconds left. But even for those who can't go invisible, kiting is not a very hard concept to master. :p