Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Tips and tactics discussion.

Gigatoast

Apr 7, 2010
Always save up for the spectre packs, you can afford one for every two missions you succeed on silver mode. They're especially useful in the beginning when you don't have many characters/weapons unlocked, chances are you'll get something badass out of each one. But if you've got your preferred loadout and are just looking to get weapon mods then I suggest getting veteran packs.

Also, the quarian infiltrator is AMAZING against the geth, you can hack literally any enemy with an amazingly short cooldown depending on your loadout, also works great against Cerberus turrets.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
scorptatious said:
DustyDrB said:
Apparently tonight, the thing to do is to go into Bronze matches as a level 16+ character. Move up already, people. I just unlocked a Krogan soldier, which actually gives me a reason to play as a soldier finally. But what the hell are all these level 19s and 20s doing on Bronze?
Grinding for easy credits maybe? I don't know, I'm a lv. 18 soldier and I have yet to get through a silver challenge. Getting closer and closer to beating it though.

For me, as a soldier, I find the shotguns to be awesome. Especially when they are modded. If I can just get a claymore or the graal spike thrower, I think I'm golden.
The human soldiers are boring. The Krogan soldier I unlocked tonight, however, is amazing. Lots of health. And that melee...

The claymore is great for him too, since you don't really need any powers beyond Fortification.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
The Wykydtron said:
I wonder if having a mixed faction mode would be good? Banshees, Phantoms and Primes all at once. Funtimes abound!
That sounds like a cruel and unusual way to punish someone...unless they were somehow fighting each other

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
DustyDrB said:
scorptatious said:
DustyDrB said:
Apparently tonight, the thing to do is to go into Bronze matches as a level 16+ character. Move up already, people. I just unlocked a Krogan soldier, which actually gives me a reason to play as a soldier finally. But what the hell are all these level 19s and 20s doing on Bronze?
Grinding for easy credits maybe? I don't know, I'm a lv. 18 soldier and I have yet to get through a silver challenge. Getting closer and closer to beating it though.

For me, as a soldier, I find the shotguns to be awesome. Especially when they are modded. If I can just get a claymore or the graal spike thrower, I think I'm golden.
The human soldiers are boring. The Krogan soldier I unlocked tonight, however, is amazing. Lots of health. And that melee...

The claymore is great for him too, since you don't really need any powers beyond Fortification.
I remember first seeing someone play as a Krogan. When I died and watched him in spectator mode, I was in awe at how he was bashing through groups of enemies with little trouble. Made me really want to unlock the Krogan soldier.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Silly question, and a tad off topic, but I haven't been able to find a solid answer to it anywhere. What do you have to do to open up more appearance options? I've unlocked at least a few of everything else that can be unlocked but am still stuck with the default options (only base and highlight colour choice) for every single race/class I have.

Sleepless Gamer

Mar 18, 2012
StriderShinryu said:
Silly question, and a tad off topic, but I haven't been able to find a solid answer to it anywhere. What do you have to do to open up more appearance options? I've unlocked at least a few of everything else that can be unlocked but am still stuck with the default options (only base and highlight colour choice) for every single race/class I have.
You Just need to unlock the character XP cards in the packs, they also come with the ability to mod one more part of their look.

( Which can be a major pain to get if you use a gold unlock character -.- )

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
A good sniper is invaluble for thinning out the numbers of cannibals forcing everyone to stay in cover while a banshee comes for them. A vanguard who knows how to use invincibility frames is a killing machine, those two with some tech and/or biotic backup should do fine.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
MetallicaRulez0 said:
Load up on Asari Adepts and Infiltrators, preferably Salarian. Asari Adept makes a mockery of basically everything with Warp/Throw combos and Stasis bubbles for mass CC. Infiltrators can do massive damage with Cloaked Widow shots and are super clutch for capturing objectives and cloak revives.

Oh, and make sure you don't play Soldier. They're basically useless.
20 Krogan Soldier not amused by your statement.

1600 Shield. 30 % Damage Reduction. And more damage than an Asari adebt.

Tired of Soldiers on Silver Runs eh? Thats because all the good soldiers are going gold. I'll be chilling out explodin' the geth pyro's on Firebase White. Chiao.

70K Points at wave 9.

Good tactic btw, try to get a Falcon. Use it to take out the minor stuff, make Infiltrators take care of the big bad armored guys. Set them on fire to aid them with a fire-explosion.

CCountZero said:
MetallicaRulez0 said:
Sounds like you've played with some pretty poor Soldiers :p

Only class that my Human Soldier has trouble keeping up with is a Human Vanguard.

Granted, I can't speak for Gold on that char, but in Silver and Bronze, Soldier seems very, very useful.

It could be that the Soldiers you've seen just haven't got a good weapon for it. I was lucky enough to get the Falcon early on.
Soldier 'ere' Sitting in gold. Chillin'.

CCountZero

Sep 20, 2008
MetallicaRulez0 said:
Sounds like you've played with some pretty poor Soldiers :p

Only class that my Human Soldier has trouble keeping up with is a Human Vanguard.

Granted, I can't speak for Gold on that char, but in Silver and Bronze, Soldier seems very, very useful.

It could be that the Soldiers you've seen just haven't got a good weapon for it. I was lucky enough to get the Falcon early on.

Cloud1e37

Mar 19, 2012
Hey so my brother in law was saying that with his Salarian Engineer that his Incinerate allows everyone to do extra damage to whoever he cast it on. I am looking at it and all that I see that it does is increase the damage of the incinerate by 40%. It's the Rank 5 Upgrade Burning Damage: Increase damage by an additional 40% over 8 seconds. He believes that this makes it so everyone fighting what he cast it on is doing 40% more damage to it, like weapons and powers. What I got from it is that it increases the DOT of just his incinerate. Am I right?

Sleepless Gamer

Mar 18, 2012
Caramel Frappe said:
Sleepless Gamer said:

Wrex: What is this garbage about tips on multiplayer?! Everyone knows all you need are the Krogan!

Tali: Alright, why don't you go ahead and start up a match on Gold difficulty then?
A Krogan surely can handle anything even going head on against a Banshee with melee.

... *ahem*

OT: Pro tip on multiplayer - Get 4 of your friends with mics, everyone having 2 infiltrators and 2 engineers ready to play and set the difficulty to Gold with Geth as the enemy choice. How is this a good tip at all you ask?

Well, the engineers can use overload and droids to fight off any number of Geth while the infiltrators can sabotage to get more support while having invisibility in case an ally needs to be recovered. Geth are actually the easiest bunch out of the three forces and if you have mics, you guys can come up with positions and who does what during a certain round. Doing this, I won two Gold matches in a row and I was being a human male engineer.

Another great tip is that you'll always want to save up for Specter packs.. those are the things that actually gets you nice new characters, upgraded weapons and other rare legit stuff. Oh and if you want to add me on Xbox live then please do so. I'll be more then happy to play with anyone thus I am a really good Quarian Engineer with a Graal Spike Thrower Shotgun. If you know what weapon I am talking about, you know it's an OP shotgun lol.
The only good shotguns i've unlocked so far are the claymore and the geth plasma, how would you rate it compared to those?

As for dealing with geth, as My stasis spamming adept the only ones that give me grief are those pesky pyros. They always seem to know where im hiding -.-

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
This weekends Silver-Reaper challenge is one of the hardest things I've done this year. Silver Geth are tolerable and Silver Cerberus is relatively easy (Bronze is a walk in the park now, but it used to be hard work too).

Has anyone got any ideas as to what the best map is for the Silver/Reaper challenge or any gold attempts, with some rough tactics? I have a full squad most of the time and we're all pretty good but keep wiping at approximately wave 8-9 against reaper forces.

I play a level 20 H.Infiltrator and my pals play as high level combat-engineers, adepts and soldiers. I usually top the scoreboard but it does fluctuate between us and I can guarantee 25+ head shots a game, but we always get overwhelmed in the last few waves when Banshees and Brutes come in greater numbers than ourselves.

Like I said, Cerberus, Geth & Reapers at Bronze on any level, easy. Reapers on Silver, we just can't quite do it.

Cheers.

My pro-tips:
Stay within range of each other, and while we all love saving up for Spectre/Veteran packs, purchase the odd recruit just to give you that equipment self-revive / missile edge.

Save your missiles for at least wave 7, and use only as a last resort in killing waves as they are a must for the objectives. Also, check around to make sure nobody is already using theirs.

Build your character to work for you play-style. It's all well and good to have your overload jump twice, but if you find yourself hitting single enemies more often, it would've been better points spent on the damage increases instead.

Cover isn't a must. As an infiltrator I prefer to move around a lot, flee from groups closing in on you and such. The few times I use cover I end up getting bogged down or flanked. Always aim for the head and remember the bonus damage you do when you shoot from stealth. You also get one second after your shot where you remain invisible, so fire off a cryo-blast immediately after you shoot to get a free power off.

Sleepless Gamer

Mar 18, 2012
Bvenged said:
This weekends Silver-Reaper challenge is one of the hardest things I've done this year. Silver Geth are tolerable and Silver Cerberus is relatively easy (Bronze is a walk in the park now, but it used to be hard work too).

Has anyone got any ideas as to what the best map is for the Silver/Reaper challenge or any gold attempts, with some rough tactics? I have a full squad most of the time and we're all pretty good but keep wiping at approximately wave 8-9 against reaper forces.

I play a level 20 H.Infiltrator and my pals play as high level combat-engineers, adepts and soldiers. I usually top the scoreboard but it does fluctuate between us and I can guarantee 25+ head shots a game, but we always get overwhelmed in the last few waves when Banshees and Brutes come in greater numbers than ourselves.

Like I said, Cerberus, Geth & Reapers at Bronze on any level, easy. Reapers on Silver, we just can't quite do it.

Cheers.

My pro-tips:
Stay within range of each other, and while we all love saving up for Spectre/Veteran packs, purchase the odd recruit just to give you that equipment self-revive / missile edge.

Save your missiles for at least wave 7, and use only as a last resort in killing waves as they are a must for the objectives. Also, check around to make sure nobody is already using theirs.

Build your character to work for you play-style. It's all well and good to have your overload jump twice, but if you find yourself hitting single enemies more often, it would've been better points spent on the damage increases instead.

Cover isn't a must. As an infiltrator I prefer to move around a lot, flee from groups closing in on you and such. The few times I use cover I end up getting bogged down or flanked. Always aim for the head and remember the bonus damage you do when you shoot from stealth. You also get one second after your shot where you remain invisible, so fire off a cryo-blast immediately after you shoot to get a free power off.
The best map I would say to take the reaper faction on is the one set in noveria with all the snow and whatnot. You do have to be careful with them spawning on the landing pad but usually they funnel themselves through 2 clear choke points, that's my experience so far over the event weekend and in general

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Sleepless Gamer said:
snip

The best map I would say to take the reaper faction on is the one set in noveria with all the snow and whatnot. You do have to be careful with them spawning on the landing pad but usually they funnel themselves through 2 clear choke points, that's my experience so far over the event weekend and in general
KK, thanks - I'll give it a shot. (Ironically one of two levels we dismissed as being too small/open.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
Uszi said:
You need at least one engineer. Honestly, the engineer is broken. Drone/Decoy drawing a Banshee's or Brute's aggro is invaluable, as is incinerate/overload/shield drain/etc.

gotta love being an engineer, spamming chain overload against geth... so OP.

anyway, i find having a team of human engineer, vanguard (usually asari), a sentinel and either infiltrator or adept works pretty well. but stay as a team, don't try running away.

also set up choke points, that way chain overload, cryo explosions and biotic detonations hit as many as possible. a choke point with an asari vanguard using stasis bubble is invaluable

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
As someone who plays infiltrator a lot, especially the Quarian one:

An enemy glowing orange does not mean "primary target" it means that they have been hacked

I had two of my most frustrating matches last night. In one asari adept kept stasising EVERY geth I would hack. Like, even if I picked a geth at the back of a group (which I like to do since they live longer), as soon as he lights up orange, he gets stasis-ed. Couldn't really correct him either, since he didn't have a headset. In the other, it was almost the exact same thing, except it was a human vanguard going around charging any geth I hacked. Sabotage is not a set-up for your charge. He also didn't have a headset.

It was just so aggravating. A quarian infiltrator, against the geth, relies on the hacking to get a large chunk of its points. Through geth-on-geth kills or through a huge number of assists. If I wanted to just straight-up snipe people I'd have picked my human infiltrator.

It happens all the time though, really. People shoot at the bright-orange geth, even if its in the middle of shooting at someone else. On the bright side, the people I play with who DO use headsets know to kill hacked geth last.

StriderShinryu said:
I'm looking for some tips for my Quarian Engineer.

What would be a good accompaniment to my Mattock assault rifle? I love it's range and precision, especially scoped (though the forced tunnel vision is a pain for someone who isn't used to sniping) and it's potential high rate of fire. I love it so much I tend to use it all the time unless I have to swap. I'd like to have something that works well with it and may actually make me want to swap based on situation and not just ammo levels. Or should I just go with one of the lighter weight faster firing sniper rifles so that I end up with essentially two Mattocks?

What is a good recommended power set up level wise? I've got a few levels left until cap and I haven't yet maxed any of my three specials. Incinerate is pretty much a no brainer. I love Cryo even if it's more situational in use, but the end upgrade tiers for it don't sound all that impressive in writing. I want to really like the sentry drone, but I'm just not finding it that useful. It's end tier powers sound excellent but I don't know which the better choice would be between them or if it's even worth it at all based on what I'm seeing now.
It really depends what you want to do. Personally, I like to play a power-heavy engineer.

I only carry a heavy pistol (when you get the carnifex/paladin, its really is all you need =P ) so that my recharge rate is as high as possible.

Really, there are two ways to level a character 6/6/6/6/0 or 6/6/6/5/3. It just depends whether or not you want to have a fewer number of maxed-out powers, or a bit more versatility. In the case of a Quarian engineer, Sentry 6, Incinerate 6, Cryo 3, Quarian 6 and Fitness 5 is probably your best bet.

With only a heavy pistol you can spam your incinerate like no tomorrow. As for your sentry turret, it really is up to you. With rockets, you can just toss it someplace good and have it kill enemies halfway across the map. However, rockets are best on open maps and lose a bit of usefulness when your line-of-sight is limited. Flamethrower does tons of damage, but you'll need to be good at tossing the sentry, since it can't move like a drone (being able to plant it anywhere is also an advantage too). The sentry is also quite versitile, since you can give it AP ammo or cryo ammo (among other things as it levels up). But yeah, if you want a flamethrower sentry, you just need to be good at getting it in the middle of a group of enemies. I'm not a fan of cryo blast myself, but it is damned cool (OHYEAH Ice pun! lol).

Ironlungz949

Mar 14, 2012
Honestly you need a bit of everything in a silver out gold match. (bronze is way too simple to use tactics ) have a damage guy....stealth guy....tank guy....support guy......
Most maps run in a square pattern, run it click wise our counter clockwise but as a team.events get too close them back off make the events run that's circle around the map. You need a good attack and a good escape plan.I would go more into details but later...break is over..cya good luck

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
rcs619 said:
I had two of my most frustrating matches last night. In one asari adept kept stasising EVERY geth I would hack. Like, even if I picked a geth at the back of a group (which I like to do since they live longer), as soon as he lights up orange, he gets stasis-ed. Couldn't really correct him either, since he didn't have a headset. In the other, it was almost the exact same thing, except it was a human vanguard going around charging any geth I hacked. Sabotage is not a set-up for your charge. He also didn't have a headset.
Doesn't a hacked Geth allow for a detonation? If so than you could forgive the Vanguard for taking the chance to blow up something, unless the Geth was by itself.
No clue what the Adept was thinking, there's zero advantage to using stasis like that. Waste of everyones time.

AndyRock

Dec 22, 2009
I seem to be one of the few that loves the human sentinel, has a 50% damage reduction shield that can be exploded for extra damage in melee, and has warp and throw, which both have low cooldowns and massive AOE biotic explosions (if you spec right), I've had many people talk about thining the horde with a few sniper rounds, in that time I can decimate the entire horde and do massive damage to armor. In short biotic explosions > everything

Edit: I got the percentage wrong, it's actuall 30% with the option to upgrade to 40% damage reduction