Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Tips and tactics discussion.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
For ME 3 Multiplayer, there's two simple things you need to do in order to be successful.

1: Find a Widow or Black Widow.
2: Play an Infiltrator.
3: Don't be a frickin' moron.

Alright, so there's only 3 simple things you need to do in order to be successful. Well, really only 2 simple things and one thing that is apparently excruciatingly difficult for far too many players >.>

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Sleepless Gamer said:
StriderShinryu said:
Silly question, and a tad off topic, but I haven't been able to find a solid answer to it anywhere. What do you have to do to open up more appearance options? I've unlocked at least a few of everything else that can be unlocked but am still stuck with the default options (only base and highlight colour choice) for every single race/class I have.
You Just need to unlock the character XP cards in the packs, they also come with the ability to mod one more part of their look.

( Which can be a major pain to get if you use a gold unlock character -.- )
So, basically, for my Quarian Engineeer I'll have to unlock her again to get the appearance mods? Sounds clear but painful hehe

Ironlungz949

Mar 14, 2012
AndyRock said:
I seem to be one of the few that loves the human sentinel, has a 50% damage reduction shield that can be exploded for extra damage in melee, and has warp and throw, which both have low cooldowns and massive AOE biotic explosions (if you spec right), I've had many people talk about thining the horde with a few sniper rounds, in that time I can decimate the entire horde and do massive damage to armor. In short biotic explosions > everything
quick question, I've never played as another sentinel other then the krogan, what is humans health and barrier? Does the human sentinel have powers with cooldowns?

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
thelonewolf266 said:
I don't know I think soldiers are the best class for chewing through standard enemies like cannibals, assault troopers that sort of thing.
Asari Adept is easily the best at that. Stasis chains allow them to freeze literally every enemy in an area with a well-placed Biotic Explosion. It's really quite silly.

Soldier does the best sustained weapon damage because of Adrenaline Rush. The problem with that is that Soldiers don't have ANY other useful abilities and weapon damage takes a backseat to power spam in multiplayer. That's why Engineers (Drone, Overload), Adepts (Stasis, Warp/Throw), and Infiltrators (Tac Cloak) are the best classes by a pretty wide margin.

Sleepless Gamer

Mar 18, 2012
StriderShinryu said:
Sleepless Gamer said:
StriderShinryu said:
Silly question, and a tad off topic, but I haven't been able to find a solid answer to it anywhere. What do you have to do to open up more appearance options? I've unlocked at least a few of everything else that can be unlocked but am still stuck with the default options (only base and highlight colour choice) for every single race/class I have.
You Just need to unlock the character XP cards in the packs, they also come with the ability to mod one more part of their look.

( Which can be a major pain to get if you use a gold unlock character -.- )
So, basically, for my Quarian Engineeer I'll have to unlock her again to get the appearance mods? Sounds clear but painful hehe
Yeah that's the long and short of it. Also i am green right now, i cant seem to unlock a quarian engineer, i loved that class when i played the demo, specced the turret to be a portable flamer.

DrgoFx

Aug 30, 2011
Sleepless Gamer said:
One last thing, if we can all share XBL/Origin/PSN accounts then maybe, just maybe, we can avoid the sort of people that think its fun to try and play a level 1 soldier on a silver reaper run ..
They could be like me and just went quick match without changing anything since it's their first time. The first game I joined I was kicked out of because I was a level 1 infiltrator for silver Cerberus.

My gamertag is DrgoFx, I haven't played that much, I just have a level 7 infiltrator and level two's in Adept, Sentinel and Soldier due to the purchasing of pack. [Give me some damn infiltrator boosts. /rage] But yeah, level 7 Human Infiltrator. As for anything else I would play, probably a Turian Soldier, Drell Adept or Human Sentinel.

I don't know many tactics other than not miss my sniper shots.

eventhorizon525

Sep 14, 2010
Ironlungz949 said:
AndyRock said:
I seem to be one of the few that loves the human sentinel, has a 50% damage reduction shield that can be exploded for extra damage in melee, and has warp and throw, which both have low cooldowns and massive AOE biotic explosions (if you spec right), I've had many people talk about thining the horde with a few sniper rounds, in that time I can decimate the entire horde and do massive damage to armor. In short biotic explosions > everything
quick question, I've never played as another sentinel other then the krogan, what is humans health and barrier? Does the human sentinel have powers with cooldowns?
I actually main human sentinel, and to start off, the health and shields are average as compared to the other races, and laughable next to krogan. I still find them really good though. The first real step to using them is realizing how much of a situational power Tech armor is for them. The human sentinel is a biotic explosion machine, with the ability to have some DR when reviving someone, moving between chokepoints, or activating some objective item. The real focus is the fact they have warp + throw (and don't require a special unlock and/or use barriers for rolls like asari (iirc how asari work)). Basically, build warp into the debuff - biotic explosion route, and build throw into aoe, biotic explosion, and a straight damage upgrade at rank 6. Keep your weight low enough to be at 190% bonus or higher, with the predator being particularly good because of its rof and how easy it is to get a mark 10.

In missions, be very mindful of the rest of the team. Generally you will spend 90% of the time using throw the second it is off cooldown until there are larger mobs that will survive long enough for you to warp-throw detonate. If there are a lot of other biotics, watch if they set up explosions or detonate explosions more (generally, vanguards mostly detonate, and adepts set up a lot of detonations) and plan accordingly. Had one gold with 2 vanguards where I just used warp; my score wasn't the greatest, but we laughed our way through even heavy targets. We even managed to stagger banshees in the middle of the auto-kill animation, which is still the most rewarding thing I have done in mp so far.

EDIT: Realized I never mentioned why I find tech armor meh (to those who haven't looked at it indepth), it applies an 80% cooldown penalty while active, which can be specced down to 50% (still not worth it imo).

AndyRock

Dec 22, 2009
Ironlungz949 said:
AndyRock said:
Both the human's health and shields are 625 (from my upgrades atleast), and I got the percentage of damage reduction wrong, it's 30% - 40%(upgraded), also as I play him as basically a tankier adept, so yes he is very cooldown based, I usually take an assualt rifle or a pistol and submachinegun.

captcha: heavy metal - wow, it can read what's on my avatar's forehead

Truman Soutar

Mar 6, 2012
Multiplayer is piss easy guys, all you have to do is play through the story on insanity mode. I notice on multiplayer many people still use cover, but if you play on insanity mode you learn to not use it since it leaves you open and unable to adapt quickly to flanking maneuvers; unless your reloading single shot rifle in the middle of a firefight with 10 enemies or a similar situation like a Prime right in your grill, the mobility of standing is paramount on gold challenges. Also on gold challenges NEVER sit in the extraction zone waiting. Defend somewhere else so the enemies close on that position and then with 10 seconds left run to the EZ (10 seconds is enough to run from the opposite side of Firebase Giant to the Evac with a couple seconds to spare).

I promoted my engineer and now I play as a turian sentinel (no combat roll which you might think is an impediment to the standing strategy i described above but it's really not), Mantis IV with enhanced scope and extra clip and Phalanx/Predator with scope or if not a pistol I'll go with the Mattock but I tend to favor power recharge time over the assault rifle except on gold. PSN tag is TramanTraks.

Ironlungz949

Mar 14, 2012
RJ 17 said:
For ME 3 Multiplayer, there's two simple things you need to do in order to be successful.

Alright, so there's only 3 simple things you need to do in order to be successful. Well, really only 2 simple things and one thing that is apparently excruciatingly difficult for far too many players its >.>
I unlocked the black widow this past Friday but I have a widow IV wat would be better?
Should I use the black widow BC its a ultra rare weapon or the widow IV BC it has higher damage?

Gustof26

Apr 7, 2011
Shockwave. So useful, great for use against a guardian. Helps keeps the husk off you at all times. GO HUMAN ADAPT!

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Truman Soutar said:
Multiplayer is piss easy guys, all you have to do is play through the story on insanity mode. I notice on multiplayer many people still use cover, but if you play on insanity mode you learn to not use it since it leaves you open and unable to adapt quickly to flanking maneuvers; unless your reloading single shot rifle in the middle of a firefight with 10 enemies or a similar situation like a Prime right in your grill, the mobility of standing is paramount on gold challenges.
I play gold a lot, and I don't agree with this reasoning. Personally, I think it's the opposite of what people should be doing on gold. (It's also the opposite effect it has on me when I play on Insanity.) Depending on what they are playing. Standing around outside of cover on gold in the middle of a firefight isn't something I would recommend.

Movement is important as hell on Gold, but that doesn't mean you should avoid cover at all costs. Especially since there's no lack of enemies on either enemy force that can drop your shields with a single glancing shot (Nemesis, Atlas, Phantoms, Rocket Troopers, Primes, Ravagers, these can all nuke your shields in a split second.)

MetallicaRulez0 said:
thelonewolf266 said:
I don't know I think soldiers are the best class for chewing through standard enemies like cannibals, assault troopers that sort of thing.
Asari Adept is easily the best at that. Stasis chains allow them to freeze literally every enemy in an area with a well-placed Biotic Explosion. It's really quite silly.

Soldier does the best sustained weapon damage because of Adrenaline Rush. The problem with that is that Soldiers don't have ANY other useful abilities and weapon damage takes a backseat to power spam in multiplayer. That's why Engineers (Drone, Overload), Adepts (Stasis, Warp/Throw), and Infiltrators (Tac Cloak) are the best classes by a pretty wide margin.
It's still possible to be an effective soldier on gold. I had a friend playing a human soldier who cleared a few waves by himself after the rest of us were executed due to phantom BS.

They really are all about using the right weapons with the right equipment.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
AD-Stu said:
OK - a question as much as anything: what's the best strategy for evacuation on the reactor map?

I'm yet to find a team that's done it well, and the actual evac zone is all but indefensible (as opposed to, say, the Noveria or Benning maps from the demo). Is it better to pick another spot to defend from, then sprint for the evac zone at the last second?
Sit behind the barriers, not in the middle of the thing.

How to succeed:

2 Infiltrators
1 Engineer/Adept
1 Vanguard/Sentinel

At least 2 Geth Shotguns between you.

Infiltrators are basically the most versatile class, especially Quarian or Human. They can do the kill/disable objectives by themselves, and are invaluable as revivers if things go south. Quarians get Sabotage, which makes Geth very easy, and Cerberus easier as you can hack Turrets/ATLAS mechs and sit back for a spell. Humans get a grenade, which is helpful against Reapers, as well as everything else.

Engineers are useful for some versatility, as Incinerate is handy and Combat Drones are quite beneficial, slowing down enemies or keeping them in choke points. Otherwise, a Drell Adept is a valid choice as they have an excellent spread of skills, especially Cluster Grenades and Area Reave for self-buffing and causing constant Biotic Explosions.

Vanguards are superb for taking down big targets, as well as being distracting. A Drell Vanguard can spam Charge so much they remain invincible, lob Cluster Grenades to destroy clumped mobs and badly damage heavy units. Pull helps with minor frustrating enemies such as Geth Hunters/Pyros and Guardians. Otherwise, a Sentinel is handy for their fairly versatile skills, but most of all their bulk. If specced right, they can absorb more damage than any other class, which is great for distracting mobs for the others to work on, or tanking Hacking objectives.

If you have a Geth Plasma Shotgun or the Graal Spike Thrower, life is much easier.

Ironlungz949 said:
I unlocked the black widow this past Friday but I have a widow IV wat would be better?
Should I use the black widow BC its a ultra rare weapon or the widow IV BC it has higher damage?
You obviously haven't used the Black Widow yet then. It's somewhat better as it does similar damage, but has 3-4 rounds in the magazine, meaning you can pop off more shots in far less time.

Also, to anyone using a Soldier: You're doing it wrong.

Ironlungz949

Mar 14, 2012
AndyRock said:
Ironlungz949 said:
AndyRock said:
Both the human's health and shields are 625 (from my upgrades atleast), and I got the percentage of damage reduction wrong, it's 30% - 40%(upgraded), also as I play him as basically a tankier adept, so yes he is very cooldown based, I usually take an assualt rifle or a pistol and submachinegun.

captcha: heavy metal - wow, it can read what's on my avatar's forehead

This is why I play sentinel and I hope it will appeal to the masses
krogan sentinel= best team support character. Why? For the krogan, when combined with lift grenade and no points to incinerate, all other powers can be maxed out and there is no need to worry about cooldowns , unless you detonate tech shield. It makes weight concern a thing of the past as sheer fire power is the krogans sentinel best offense and defense. Yes people will disagree but kS (krogan sentinel) is a great tank able to endure massive damage compared to all other characters.great for reviving allies in any bronze silver and gold match....lift grenade is probably one of the best crowd control powers when playing gold excellent for quick getaways and good to distract the enemy while you revive. Firepower is the-KS best friend. Honestly keep a respectable distance from your team...help them out with the widow and if things get bad pull out the saber......firepower firepower FIREPOWER. Gold matches are team efforts. Without ur team you alone cant defeat your enemies. Also dont forget people....its-not the character thats good...its the player that controls the character. Every character has his pros and cons..... But the curtain is no exception. Great tank,support, crowd control. Don't choose the KS if you wanna be the star of your team.... krogan are tough but lack agility. Team effort it wins wars.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Knight Templar said:
rcs619 said:
I had two of my most frustrating matches last night. In one asari adept kept stasising EVERY geth I would hack. Like, even if I picked a geth at the back of a group (which I like to do since they live longer), as soon as he lights up orange, he gets stasis-ed. Couldn't really correct him either, since he didn't have a headset. In the other, it was almost the exact same thing, except it was a human vanguard going around charging any geth I hacked. Sabotage is not a set-up for your charge. He also didn't have a headset.
Doesn't a hacked Geth allow for a detonation? If so than you could forgive the Vanguard for taking the chance to blow up something, unless the Geth was by itself.
No clue what the Adept was thinking, there's zero advantage to using stasis like that. Waste of everyones time.
I go for recharge time over detonation. Most geth are long-range attackers (troopers, rocket-troopers) so they aren't close enough to others for the detonation to really matter a lot of the time. Pyros are an option, but... ehh, I'd rather have a quicker recharge time than a situational effect. Plus, it only works if the geth dies while hacked and since most of the ones worth hacking (pyros, rocket-troopers, primes) have a decent amount of health, you can't always rely on them dying while the hack in still up.

...and yeah. That Asari, I wanted to turn on my headset to try and correct him... but somehow I had the feeling it wouldn't do any good. I did manage to get 3rd place in that match, even with the Asari screwing me over. Some guy was a terrible vanguard and kept dying every other wave, lol.

Truman Soutar

Mar 6, 2012
Tohuvabohu said:
Truman Soutar said:
Multiplayer is piss easy guys, all you have to do is play through the story on insanity mode. I notice on multiplayer many people still use cover, but if you play on insanity mode you learn to not use it since it leaves you open and unable to adapt quickly to flanking maneuvers; unless your reloading single shot rifle in the middle of a firefight with 10 enemies or a similar situation like a Prime right in your grill, the mobility of standing is paramount on gold challenges.
I play gold a lot, and I don't agree with this reasoning. Personally, I think it's the opposite of what people should be doing on gold. (It's also the opposite effect it has on me when I play on Insanity.) Depending on what they are playing. Standing around outside of cover on gold in the middle of a firefight isn't something I would recommend.

Movement is important as hell on Gold, but that doesn't mean you should avoid cover at all costs. Especially since there's no lack of enemies on either enemy force that can drop your shields with a single glancing shot (Nemesis, Atlas, Phantoms, Rocket Troopers, Primes, Ravagers, these can all nuke your shields in a split second.)

MetallicaRulez0 said:
thelonewolf266 said:

It's still possible to be an effective soldier on gold. I had a friend playing a human soldier who cleared a few waves by himself after the rest of us were executed due to phantom BS.

They really are all about using the right weapons with the right equipment.
What I was trying to convey in my post was the superiority of using cover simply by putting it between yourself and whatever is shooting at you without actually interacting with it. You can even shoot without even exposing yourself; quite literally impossible when using the cover based shooting system.

I'm with Yahtzee on cover based shooters, I think it's a stupid system (kinda cool when it first popped up but quickly got boring) that is kind of irrelevant if you understand the concept of firing lines.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Truman Soutar said:
What I was trying to convey in my post was the superiority of using cover simply by putting it between yourself and whatever is shooting at you without actually interacting with it. You can even shoot without even exposing yourself; quite literally impossible when using the cover based shooting system.

I'm with Yahtzee on cover based shooters, I think it's a stupid system (kinda cool when it first popped up but quickly got boring) that is kind of irrelevant if you understand the concept of firing lines.
I see. I thought you meant something else. My bad! And well, that's correct. It is possible to use cover by simply standing behind something, and yes you can still stand behind things in Gold as well. Much more flexible and faster paced to do so. Especially in crowded environments.

I think what the huge problem in ME3 is(Something that was also a problem in ME2), that you cannot crouch. Sometimes there is not a wall between your enemies and the best position to engage them. And the only way to give yourself any kind of cover is to glue your back to a chest-high wall. This is the ONLY way to crouch, which sucks because you are otherwise constantly standing upright, and constantly a huge target out in the open.

If you could only crouch whenever the hell you wanted to.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Ironlungz949 said:
RJ 17 said:

Alright, so there's only 3 simple things you need to do in order to be successful. Well, really only 2 simple things and one thing that is apparently excruciatingly difficult for far too many players its >.>
B.Widow is the way to go. The fact that it gets 3 shots before reloading makes it so much more efficient than the standard Widow. The Widow does do more damage in a single shot, but in the time it takes to fire and reload, you could have shot twice with the B.Widow, and 2 shots from the B.Widow is stronger than one shot from the regular Widow.

That and the B.Widow has a lot more spare ammo than the standard Widow so you don't need to make as many runs to the ammo box when in some of the tougher waves of Silver or Gold.

Izzy1320

Mar 4, 2010
Hmm... Not really sure what to say to this. I've tried all of the classes and I have most of the races now (still missing salarian infiltrator and drell vanguard, if I remember correctly), if not very many new weapons worth mentioning. Speaking on the pure basis of the classes, however, they all have their own unique specialties, that I've found.

Engineers are practically invaluable at some times, especially due to their abilities that distract or otherwise provide a secondary point of attack on tougher enemies. My quarian engineer (lvl 19 atm) has soloed both Brutes and Banshees on silver difficulty, and I have managed one brute on gold by myself while the team was otherwise occupied.

On a different note, the vanguard excels at dealing exceeding amounts of damage to single enemies, or small groups, especially the humans with their nova and shockwave for CC, and the Asari, with her aoe strong melee and her stasis (completely invaluable with phantoms, makes them so much easier to kill).

The adepts, while physically weak, especially the drell, can deal large amounts of damage to any single targets with their range of biotic abilities. Both warp and reave are excellent at depleting enemy armor.

The soldiers, I've found, function as a very effective powerhouse for simply spamming weapons fire. If other classes can keep the enemies from reaching too close to them, from medium to long range, the soldier can be exceedingly powerful, especially with their various explosive accoutrements. The Krogan soldier on bronze is a tank, and he can mow through enemies with a proper shotgun/assault rifle. On silver, he can still be just as effective, but he has to be much more conscious of his surroundings, lest he be overwhelmed by cannibals/marauders shooting from the side/behind.

Sentinels were actually the second class I promoted, the first being vanguard, and I played most of my time as a turian. I found, playing as other races as well, that the sentinels fit in well as more of a Jack-of-all trades. The turian, for example, has overload, for shields and barriers, and warp, for barriers and armor, making them particularly useful against enemies such as banshees, provided they stay clear of that instant-kill range. The krogan with tech armor becomes a veritable sponge for damage, provided, as with the soldier, that they manage to steer clear of choke-points and rushing away from the rest of their team. whether they focus more on their grenades or their incinerate, each option can provide a different style of aid for the rest of the team.

Infiltrators are actually class I've played as the least (despite the Widow being my first spectre pack unlock.), so I can't offer much besides the obvious. They provide powerful support, as long as they remain at range, and their tactical cloak is immensely valuable for mission objectives/reviving downed teammates without being seen. That being said, at the times where I've been revived by a cloaked infiltrator, I was generally so enveloped by enemies that no sooner was I able to regain my feet that I was knocked down again because of the sheer number of surrounding hostiles.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
RJ 17 said:
B.Widow is the way to go. The fact that it gets 3 shots before reloading makes it so much more efficient than the standard Widow. The Widow does do more damage in a single shot, but in the time it takes to fire and reload, you could have shot twice with the B.Widow, and 2 shots from the B.Widow is stronger than one shot from the regular Widow.

That and the B.Widow has a lot more spare ammo than the standard Widow so you don't need to make as many runs to the ammo box when in some of the tougher waves of Silver or Gold.
I just CANNOT get a goddam B.Widow. I don't want to say how many Spectre packs I've opened either. (Hint...it's a lot). I've got almost every character unlocked, I've got almost every weapon unlocked, and yet the one thing I really wanted...the B. Widow...remains locked. I don't even have the normal Widow. I'm still sniping with the goddam Mantis.

It's not fair ROWLWOROWWLWORLWOWLR