Mass Effect 3 Review

Oro44

Jan 28, 2009
fozzy360 said:
Susan Arendt said:
We don't have the resources to cover everything, so naturally when choices must be made, we err in favor of covering games our audience will enjoy. If you think that's a bad way to do things, I encourage you to put us in your rearview and find a gaming site that better suits your standards.
Ok, I can understand if someone gets defensive when someone else calls them out on something they may or may not have done. I get that, but you can't just reduce your argument to "well if you don't like it, you could always leave". That's not the point, as least, from what I could gather from the various back-and-forths from this thread. It's a very dismissive and condescending attitude. On top of that, it does nothing to help your side of the argument if you're going to break off the discussion by suggesting the person leave and never come back.

Oro44 said:
This brings up a good point that I don't understand. Why do people insist on making their dissatisfaction known (ie. Nerd Rage)? If you don't like it, don't buy it. Your blood pressure will thank you.
Kind of sounds like you'd prefer that anyone with anything negative to say about anything shouldn't let their opinions known just for the sake of the fact that it's an opinion that you're not gonna like. Why shouldn't people let their dissatisfaction known? Of course, this is mainly intended for non-trolls, but if someone is really disappointed with something, why shouldn't they tell us? Plus, "don't like it, don't buy it" isn't good enough. Developers have to know why people are unhappy and why they are happy.

Zydrate said:
Anyone else finding the staff's zealous defense a bit unprofessional?
It just seems like the entire staff is taking this extremely personal. It's a bit....worrying.
Yeah, this was kind of my point. Constructive criticism is fine, it just bugs me how personal and flat out mean these things get

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
fozzy360 said:
Susan Arendt said:
We don't have the resources to cover everything, so naturally when choices must be made, we err in favor of covering games our audience will enjoy. If you think that's a bad way to do things, I encourage you to put us in your rearview and find a gaming site that better suits your standards.
Ok, I can understand if someone gets defensive when someone else calls them out on something they may or may not have done. I get that, but you can't just reduce your argument to "well if you don't like it, you could always leave". That's not the point, as least, from what I could gather from the various back-and-forths from this thread. It's a very dismissive and condescending attitude. On top of that, it does nothing to help your side of the argument if you're going to break off the discussion by suggesting the person leave and never come back.

Oro44 said:
This brings up a good point that I don't understand. Why do people insist on making their dissatisfaction known (ie. Nerd Rage)? If you don't like it, don't buy it. Your blood pressure will thank you.
Kind of sounds like you'd prefer that anyone with anything negative to say about anything shouldn't let their opinions known just for the sake of the fact that it's an opinion that you're not gonna like. Why shouldn't people let their dissatisfaction known? Of course, this is mainly intended for non-trolls, but if someone is really disappointed with something, why shouldn't they tell us? Plus, "don't like it, don't buy it" isn't good enough. Developers have to know why people are unhappy and why they are happy.

Zydrate said:
Anyone else finding the staff's zealous defense a bit unprofessional?
It just seems like the entire staff is taking this extremely personal. It's a bit....worrying.
You misunderstand my point. If someone innately disagrees with a core way we do things here, then they're simply never going to be happy here and would undoubtedly prefer the way another site approaches its content. That's quite different from simply having a different opinion about a certain game.

If, for example, you believe that out lack of coverage of certain titles indicates a bias, and that we're wrong to take our audience's preferences into account when choosing what to cover, then you'll inevitably find fault with our content. Thus the suggestion to look elsewhere.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Fr said:
anc[is]Spoiler free comments on the ending of the game itself?
Hmmm....no, I don't think I can do that. I don't want to color your experience in any way going in to the finale.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Fr said:
Hmmm....no, I don't think I can do that. I don't want to color your experience in any way going in to the finale.
It's a bit late for that, the rest of the internet kinda beat you to the punch :( I appreciate the sentiment though.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Fr said:
anc[is]
Susan Arendt said:
Fr said:
It's a bit late for that, the rest of the internet kinda beat you to the punch :( I appreciate the sentiment though.
I'm sorry. :( I take not spoiling games pretty seriously, so I'm sorry to hear you already know what happens.

Dec 14, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Fr said:
anc[is]
Susan Arendt said:
Fr said:
I'm sorry. :( I take not spoiling games pretty seriously, so I'm sorry to hear you already know what happens.
I don't know how, but I've managed to stay spoiler free.

Except I'm in the UK, so I have to wait until Thursday/Friday.

I hope the internet shows me mercy :D

BaronIveagh

Apr 26, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
lamely dodging the question of whether you pirated the game - which, for the record, I believe you did. Did you seriously think you wouldn't get called out for that?
Sorry, you can call me out on it, but you'd end up shooting yourself in the foot.

I own a PS3 and a PC, but no Xbox. The PC crack came out late yesterday, but according you you I had to be playing it yesterday morning. So, how did I post specific complaints about the game six hours before it was cracked?

Answer: Research.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
Gorfias said:
Still Life said:
Been playing it.

My. God.

It's pretty much everything I could have hoped for. I'm having a ton of fun!
On what system? PC getting a lot of bad word of mouth. I tried origin to try to get the demo and it wouldn't even start on my 64 bit windows 7 PC build.

I've heard Kinnect works with it, PS3 Move too?
Playing on PC with Windows 7 64bit. Haven't had a single issue running it, but PC is a funny thing at times.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. And I don't know everything, just enough to... influence me. Oh well

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I've been playing it all day...

This game... is like... if Awesome crapped out Awesome onto a silver platter made of Awesome and gave me two Awesome spoons to eat it with.

But... I threw the spoons away. Because it also gave me Awesome Biotics so I could eat the Awesome off the Awesome silver platter without my hands so I could continue playing Mass Effect 3 while eating the Awesome with my brain.

My one, ONE complaint so far, is that I don't have as much control in conversations as I would have hoped, ESPECIALLY near the beginning of the game. Control of Sheppard is taken away from me far too much for my liking.

But I don't care because the rest of it is AWESOME and totally makes up for it.

Dec 14, 2009
ZeroMachine said:

This game... is like... if Awesome crapped out Awesome onto a silver platter made of Awesome and gave me two Awesome spoons to eat it with.

But... I threw the spoons away. Because it also gave me Awesome Biotics so I could eat the Awesome off the Awesome silver platter without my hands so I could continue playing Mass Effect 3 while eating the Awesome with my brain.

My one, ONE complaint so far, is that I don't have as much control in conversations as I would have hoped, ESPECIALLY near the beginning of the game. Control of Sheppard is taken away from me far too much for my liking.

Would you say the game is:

A: Awesome

B: Awesome

C: Awesome

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
ZeroMachine said:

Would you say the game is:

A: Awesome

B: Awesome

C: Awesome
D: All of the above, with a heaping helping of Awesome.

Dasick

Oct 4, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
...before rolling out the classic "it was all a trap!" story...
Which was pretty much the only reason I kept at it, was to see if I could get one to say something incriminating. I had thought it might be Gavin, as he has most visible to gain, but forgot the time difference and he logged.
I assume this is the "all a trap" defence you're referring to? Because it's part of a post which contains his opinion on ME3. And the ME3 stuff comes first. You might be sceptical about his story, but the best way to oust a troll is to make an intelligent point. If he has nothing of sustenance to say about it - you win, but the forums as a whole win as well. If the guy does have something of value to say - you and everyone else on the boards wins again.

So, bad endings, deus ex to boot, and a lack of meaningful impact from the choices you've made in the previous games. These all seem like the most common complaints with the game, looking through this thread.

Susan said that there are tons of call backs to your decisions in the first two games, but "call back" isn't the same as "impact". Which is it?

As for the ending, that stuff is pretty important. The ending is what makes or breaks any story. I don't care if you just preformed the entire Nutcracker in mid-air, it doesn't matter if you break your neck when you land.

Dasick

Oct 4, 2009
ZeroMachine said:

Can you be more specific about what makes it awesome? So far you're just gushing.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
Not quite the end of the series as I believe Bioware said they'll be making more Mass Effect games it just that Shepherd won't be there.

DonTsetsi

May 22, 2009
BaronIveagh said:
Andy Chalk said:
lamely dodging the question of whether you pirated the game - which, for the record, I believe you did. Did you seriously think you wouldn't get called out for that?
Sorry, you can call me out on it, but you'd end up shooting yourself in the foot.

I own a PS3 and a PC, but no Xbox. The PC crack came out late yesterday, but according you you I had to be playing it yesterday morning. So, how did I post specific complaints about the game six hours before it was cracked?

Answer: Research.
What does pirating have to do with the discussion? Having a pirated copy shouldn't change your opinion (at least not for the worse). If you're going to continue tossing insults and questioning each other's integrity, please stay within the original topic.

But seriously, this forum fight, while amusing, doesn't benefit anyone involved.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Dasick said:
ZeroMachine said:

Can you be more specific about what makes it awesome? So far you're just gushing.
I want to preface this by saying that I mean absolutely no offense by saying this, but I am NOT here to review it. I'm too busy gushing. As you said.

If you want my opinion on more specific things, honestly Susan's review is similar to what I would write (so far, I've yet to beat it).

Basics: the combat is intense and fun, the characters are as great as ever, the plot is fun and has a perfect combination of cheesy scifi and genuinely great storytelling, and the atmosphere of the game is dark and near-hopeless without causing depression.

But, as I said. Player choice in dialogue thus far is at a minimum compared to other Bioware games, even though drastic choices are at an all time high.

That's the closest you'll get to a review from me until I beat the game.

The87Italians

Jun 17, 2009
I've been enjoying the game just as much as I thought I would. Except for James. He got benched as soon as I could bench him. The one thing that makes me hate if even more is that every sentence that comes out of his mouth will probably be a meme at some point.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Mass Effect 3 Review

The ending the series - and its fans - deserve.

Read Full Article
I just wanted to say that your review is awesome. I have played the game for about five hours now and I am loving it.