Mass Effect 3 - weird decision by bioware regarding romance pathway in ME2 shadow broker

iNsaneMilesy

Dec 10, 2008
Anyone else notice in the Shadow Broker DLC Team member archives that all the human female love interests for male shepard are sterile and unable to have children? - Talkin Miranda and Jack here... and probably Ashley I'm guessing in ME3 if you saved her. Miranda because of her cloning and Mordin also mentions that Jack's biotic powers would kill the feutus in utero... seems really odd writing decision to me. Like trying to sway you from any imaginative "settling down and having kids" kinda ending for shepard after the fact, or to force a love interest for cannon's sake later on. Either way it has me a little puzzled.

Would like to hear theories.Or

tendaji

Aug 15, 2008
Would Shepard have any fertility anyways? I mean I don't know if fully functioning testicles would be that high on a list for rebuilding. Or he could have been given an 'upgrade' in that department. But as of right now, I'd also assume Shepard is sterile and unable to fertilize a female.

Now let your mind wander about the improvements Cerberus might have made on Shepard!

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
tendaji said:
Would Shepard have any fertility anyways? I mean I don't know if fully functioning testicles would be that high on a list for rebuilding. Or he could have been given an 'upgrade' in that department. But as of right now, I'd also assume Shepard is sterile and unable to fertilize a female.

Now let your mind wander about the improvements Cerberus might have made on Shepard!
But an arguement against that (not saying you're right or wrong or anywhere in between) is that the Illusive Man wanted Shepard EXACTLY as he was before he died. I would think that if he had fully functioning testicles before his death, he would have them after. The ability to breed can mean a lot to a male and his psyche even if he has no intent on having children. That's why a lot of men resist getting a vasectomy even after they've decided the never want or have had enough children. They believe it makes them "less of a man" because they are no longer capable of siring a child.

EDIT: OT: And while it could be a way to players from expecting to settle down with a brat and the like, it could also be that Shepard will give them the "miracle child", against all odds Miranda was able to have a baby because Shepard is just that much of a God in bed. XD

As for Mordin talking about Jack not being able to have a child, can anyone explain that one to me? I've never seen/heard about it before.

tendaji

Aug 15, 2008
Screamarie said:
tendaji said:

But an arguement against that (not saying you're right or wrong or anywhere in between) is that the Illusive Man wanted Shepard EXACTLY as he was before he died. I would think that if he had fully functioning testicles before his death, he would have them after. The ability to breed can mean a lot to a male and his psyche even if he has no intent on having children. That's why a lot of men resist getting a vasectomy even after they've decided the never want or have had enough children. They believe it makes them "less of a man" because they are no longer capable of siring a child.
But you have to remember that this is the first time that anyone was literally rebuilt back from the dead. Who knows if they literally work or not, because if it generates the same amount of testosterone but is still rendered infertile, that is still going to keep Shepard the same. And even if he didn't get fully functioning gear back, would Cerberus tell him that?
Because assuming it is working is just as good of a placebo for a lot of human beings. So who knows, especially since its a first time for everything kind of situation (and the fact that we don't really have the technology to compare it to...)

I love the fact that we are discussing the fertility of Commander Shepard on this forum, it makes it quite enjoyable...

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
tendaji said:
Screamarie said:
tendaji said:

But you have to remember that this is the first time that anyone was literally rebuilt back from the dead. Who knows if they literally work or not, because if it generates the same amount of testosterone but is still rendered infertile, that is still going to keep Shepard the same. And even if he didn't get fully functioning gear back, would Cerberus tell him that?
Because assuming it is working is just as good of a placebo for a lot of human beings. So who knows, especially since its a first time for everything kind of situation (and the fact that we don't really have the technology to compare it to...)

I love the fact that we are discussing the fertility of Commander Shepard on this forum, it makes it quite enjoyable...
Yes it is, isn't it? I mean it's kind of a futile arguement, after all, it's a video game character that has no definite gender in the first place. XD

I still think though that if the technology was capable the Illusive Man would have wanted Shepard, whether male or female, to be able to reproduce. For that Shepard's psyche and because I would think that the Illusive Man would be interested in the child of such a strong human, but that may just be my sick thinking. Not to mention I have interest in playing a game with Shepard's kid somewhere down the line, so I'm probably grasping at hope here.

But on the other hand, if the technology wasn't capable, you make a very good point. The Illusive Man has proven he's quite capable and willing to lie to Shepard if he believes it's for the best. He would most certainly keep that hidden to make certain his investment worked how he wanted it to. Selfish bastard that he is.

iNsaneMilesy

Dec 10, 2008
Screamarie said:
tendaji said:
As for Mordin talking about Jack not being able to have a child, can anyone explain that one to me? I've never seen/heard about it before.
Mordin doesnt say it directly, it is more implied when he approaches you if you go down the romance path with Jack, he mentions possible sex options using biotics etc also... combine this with her archive report and you get the bigger picture.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
iNsaneMilesy said:
Screamarie said:
tendaji said:
Mordin doesnt say it directly, it is more implied when he approaches you if you go down the romance path with Jack, he mentions possible sex options using biotics etc also... combine this with her archive report and you get the bigger picture.
Really? I romanced Jack with my Male Shep...I guess I just wasn't paying attention...I'll have to keep this in mind when I'm going through another ME2 playthrough with a male shep. Thanks! ^_^

Rivenart

Feb 1, 2012
It's because ME4 is going to be starring Shepards asari child though Liara. Either surrogated or just being thiers.

Even if Shepard can't produce the sperm, I'd assume she'd be able to burrow some genetic code from him. If she hasn't already from the multiple forced Embrace Enternities.

How else do you explain her Super plot armor and being forced onto the player all the time. Even the renegade option doesn't actually turn her down, supposedly a "bug"...

There I've spoiled ME4s plot for you all, you know it's true.