Mass Effect 3 Writer Allegedly Slams Controversial Ending

Gigatoast

Apr 7, 2010
Dexter111 said:
You know this is funny, because I've read that Child's Play (the charity founded by Penny Arcade writers) will not take any more money from the "Retake Mass Effect Movement" because they didn't want to be attributed to be in "support" of the movement: http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/23/retake-mass-effect-to-close-childs-play-drive/

A charity refusing more money for that reason seems rather baffling...

?I have been in contact with a manager at Child?s Play. First, he wanted to stress how grateful they were for our efforts here, and the huge impact it will have in helping the charity. However, he pointed out that several sources are incorrectly assuming a link between the charity and the petition, or outright support of the petition by the charity.

?This has been a source of difficulty for them, and it has been requested that we wind this effort down. Again, I want to stress that the charity is not unhappy with our work, they are exceptionally pleased with what we have accomplished.?

Robb went to some length to distance Child?s Play?s message from that of its founders at Penny Arcade, and to voice his support for ending the fundraising drive, but the response was predictably negative.
You sir, are operating off misinformation.

Here's a quote from Tycho's response to the matter:
I actually support this cause, but I am a pessimist, and I?m thinking about the next time something like this happens - when someone attaches Child?s Play to something we can?t get behind, or leverages your history of generosity and fellow feeling for their own weird bullshit. So, we need to have something like a policy on this.
It wasn't "Retake ME3" that led to the drive's eventual shut-down, it was the fact that the charity was being misused. That could open doors to much more horrible scenarios, and it's a perfectly understandable reason to close the drive.

Here's the link to his full response: http://penny-arcade.com/2012/03/21/childs-play-and-retake-mass-effect

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
Hmm. This does seem legit.
To be fair though, it's very easy to throw blame around like this. Frankly, we don't have the whole story and its only one person's point of view.

I don't want to descredit him or defend Hudson or anything like that. It just seems a little bit convinient that the project leader has now been set up to take this fall almost entirely alone.
Then again maybe I'm just paranoid.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Canadish said:
Dexter111 said:
You know this is funny, because I've read that Child's Play (the charity founded by Penny Arcade writers) will not take any more money from the "Retake Mass Effect Movement" because they didn't want to be attributed to be in "support" of the movement: http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/23/retake-mass-effect-to-close-childs-play-drive/

?I have been in contact with a manager at Child?s Play. First, he wanted to stress how grateful they were for our efforts here, and the huge impact it will have in helping the charity. However, he pointed out that several sources are incorrectly assuming a link between the charity and the petition, or outright support of the petition by the charity.

?This has been a source of difficulty for them, and it has been requested that we wind this effort down. Again, I want to stress that the charity is not unhappy with our work, they are exceptionally pleased with what we have accomplished.?

Robb went to some length to distance Child?s Play?s message from that of its founders at Penny Arcade, and to voice his support for ending the fundraising drive, but the response was predictably negative.
W-what!?

Why would you stop accepting the donations?
I might understand if this was some kind of serious political movement donating and everyone was claiming that Penny Arcade supported them...

But it's obviously not.
And I don't think anyone was saying that Penny Arcade was in support of the movement.

That just....it stinks if you ask me...
The creators and proponents of that petition may feel that they were turning a negative into a positive by channeling that rage and discontent into charity donations, but the link can go both ways, and few charities would want to be viewed as being associated with rage and discontent. It was a well intended idea that was executed without fully considering the possible consequences.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Dexter111 said:

You know, I've been slowly inching towards the conclusion that PA is every bit the massive corporate shill that other journalists are accused of being. First the completely stonewalled stance on used games, then the post on the ending controversy itself seemed far more antagonistic than those of any other sources, now a PA funded charity is refusing donations over something this petty? Sh*t, it's money, and it's not like these people are asking for dead kittens in ME.

I think it's high time I chucked PA into the same bin as Gamespot, it's a shame 'cause I love their comics.

As for OP: It would definitely explain the disconnect, and there was a joke going around the BSN boards that somewhere post launch there was a writer walking around the Bioware offices screaming "I told you so!" at the top of their lungs. Great news that there are at least a few people with some good sense in a once great studio.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Casey is really smart and really analytical. And the problem is that when he's not checked, he will assume that other people are like him, and will really appreciate an almost completely unemotional intellectual ending.
Everyone, Casey is now the new Peter Molyneux.

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
Hammeroj said:
Reet72 said:
Hmm. This does seem legit.
To be fair though, it's very easy to throw blame around like this. Frankly, we don't have the whole story and its only one person's point of view.

I don't want to descredit him or defend Hudson or anything like that. It just seems a little bit convinient that the project leader has now been set up to take this fall almost entirely alone.
Then again maybe I'm just paranoid.
Um, the "project lead" is leading the project. If there's anyone to blame about the game being such and such, apart from the higher-up executives, it's the project lead. Practically every decision has to go through with them, and at the very least he had to approve the ending.

While you say you don't want to defend Hudson, that is pretty much what you're doing, even if it's unintentional. It's not convenient at all. In fact it's so inconvenient, Patrick Weekes is risking his job by doing this.

And kudos to the guy, as little as that'll do. Nice to see someone honest in the industry from time to time. The constant circle-jerking by everyone involved has been getting pretty tiring.
I'm not an authority or anything. I don't pretend to understand how these sorts of things work. Take my words as the baseless opinions that they are. However, the few creative endeavors I have been apart of didn't work like that. If people were invested in it then they would want to know what was going on and what everyone else was doing. And they would complain (a LOT) if they didn't like it.
I'm not saying this is impossible but it seems really wierd to me. Why would no one have known about the ending? And if they did, why would they have not made any objections? I don't know but it just seems a bit off is all I'm saying.
If Hudson and Walters really did write the whole thing by themselves then they deserve all the hate and vitriol the internet can supply (which is a lot). That is just really dumb. However I find that hard to believe.
I'd rather refrain from blaming them before we know what happened or at least have a bit more evidence to back it up. Benefit of the doubt and all that.

Cranky

Mar 12, 2012
Drew Karpyshyn was probably the one writer that held it all together. When he was suddenly put off the last ME novel and the writing team I felt something was truly amiss.
Still, the conspiracy theorist in me believes that this is all a massive ploy by Bioware to throw blame at each other to appease fans. If not, then I think Weekes is telling the truth.

MarxonSR1

Apr 28, 2009
If this is real, it's great that he went out of his way to inform us at possible cost to himself.

Personally I'd like to see more of this, Bioware would garner a lot more respect from me, by all the writers and everyone involved just telling us what on earth happened, without nonsense PR responses. Just give us exactly what you thought you were trying to do, and who felt it was bad. For me that would be much better than an ending changing DLC (though I'd like that also).

Incidentally I like how he mentioned those terrible goodbye scenes, in the 'nothing is going to happen here' section. Mordin, one of the games most interesting characters, got 30 seconds of meaningless dialogue, and even Wrex only got to say stuff while you just stood there.
This compared to what I thought were really good endings for Thane, Legion and Mordin (if he dies on Tuchanka).

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Cranky said:
Drew Karpyshyn was probably the one writer that held it all together. When he was suddenly put off the last ME novel and the writing team I felt something was truly amiss.
Yes, they hired the writer of Halo: The Flood for the last book appropriately titled "Deception"
And we all know how well that turned out.

I wouldn't have minded some of the endings stated in the post.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Not to be pessimistic but to me this just sounds like an attempt to throw someone under the bus in order to try and shut people up. Theres no way that something as important as the ending to Mass Effect 3 would just be rushed out without the approval of the writing staff. I really don't see that happening.

EA and Bioware have their PR leashes attatched firmly around the necks of all employees at this point. There is no way that something like this could go out without either their approval or without serious reprocussions.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
You could really say that it shows, especially compared to other great parts in the game but I'm not convinced that it's real. It doesn't really matter to me who's to blame anyway, although I wouldn't say no if they changed the ending and would use some of the things he mentions.

Acton Hank

Nov 19, 2009
Elmoth said:
If they'd just let drew karpyshyn be the only lead writer in all three games It would have had the same impact for games as starwars had for movies.
I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Canadish said:
Very interesting read I think.

...this is a poor writer finally snapping and cutting through the corporate PR smokescreen...
This is exactly what I think. EA are too stubborn to play mind-games. If so, they'd try and disguise all those business practices that REALLY grind our gears as consumers. But they don't.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
That post wasn't fake. They're trying to protect their asses. The post was too well thought out and well written to be fake. And it came from Bioware writer. Everyone on Penny Arcade knows who that guy is. It wasn't an imitation. Don't believe these fuckers.

They don't have a single proof that it was an imitation, and a lot of people saw who posted that.