Mass Effect Andromeda Deluxe edition 25% off only 2 days after launch

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
https://gamerant.com/mass-effect-andromeda-sale-discount/

48 hours is all it took for the Deluxe edition to get a 25% discount. This is likely to be an unprecedented flop if its gotten this bad. My god, I really can't wait for the numbers to start being revealed. I mean BioWare is dead at this point, there's no recovering from this. It'll just be BioWare Austin running ToR so long as it remains profitable within a year, mark my words.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Eh, as much as I'm hoping it flops so that Bioware maybe gets the idea that they need more than fuckable party members, token minorities, and mobile combat to make a game good, or at worst puts the wheezing horse to pasture, sorta too early to call it here.

Alot of Deluxe editions and Season Pass bundles have sorta been put on sale over the last year within like a week of launching to cash in on that sweet sweet impulse dollar. Not really all that surprising. Now if the base game does it within the next two weeks, then I'm right there with you.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
While I agree that this probably reflects poor initial sales performance, I doubt this is a death knell for Bioware. Mainly because this is the work of their B-team. Basically, this was done by the studio that did the ME3 multiplayer (arguably the best bit of ME3). The team was increased in size and told to make a full-sized game. However, they lacked the experience needed, and it shows. The game comes off as full of effort, but the skill of the people involved was a bit lacking, except for the actual combat (which was the one thing they have done previously).

Also, even if this means that the team gets axed over this, Bioware is still safe, since this is just a secondary dev team. The main team doing a different project. The real question here might be Why was ME:A tossed off to the B-team? Why is one of their flagship franchises handed off to inexperienced developers who aren't able to really handle a project of this scope?

In the end, this is basically the Dragon Age 2 of the ME series: a game that never lived up to its potential due to poor management. In DA2's case, it was because funding and staff were diverted into making SW:TOR, leaving a skeleton crew with overly tight deadlines who tried to make the most of it. Here, the problem is an inexperienced team that didn't get the support and guidance they required.

Sad? Yes. Disappointing? Yes. Death of Bioware? Nope, hardly.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Jandau said:
Sad? Yes. Disappointing? Yes. Death of Bioware? Nope, hardly.
Since 2012 the only thing BioWare has released is The Old Republic expansion packs. While it's still profitable, there's no way that'll keep more then BioWare Austin alive. ME:A is a flop and unless this mythical new IP that doesn't even have a name yet can somehow be pumped out in the next year there's pretty much no chance of the rest of the company staying afloat.

Sure, maybe they'll pull a Bethesda and announce it a few months before it comes out. But I seriously doubt that a company in as much financial trouble as BioWare is right now would try to pull something like that off, especially since the way they treated ME:A with near radio silence has very clearly stemmed from the fact they knew it was trash and are just hopping to make back the cost now since Mass Effect, an IP that was once hailed as the Star Trek of my generation, is now a dead IP just like Dragon Age is.

The writing's been on the wall for years now, BioWare is finished. Mark my works.
MC1980 said:
MEA basically got DA2/ME3'd, where a lot of key staff, including the majority of senior writers, had to go help out on the fucking MMO while the leftovers and the new hirees got to fuck up the writing rushing those games out, which were treated basically as secondary projects.
You know the worst part of it all is that those experienced staff members who where moved to SW:ToR where the new inexperienced ones at the company back when everyone who knew what they where doing during the making of Mass Effect and Dragon Age left. For some reason though I doubt history will repeat itself. Call it a hunch, but given how DA2 and ME3 where at least financial successes while ME:A is almost assured to be a flop, I'm not being hyperbolic when I'm saying that the company that now has its flagship IP be dead while its only other IP died years ago is in serious trouble.

The only good part about all this is that it basically assures us a few more ToR expansions. I'd say it's their only game I've enjoyed in the past 5 years hyperbolically like it would be for most companies, but given how all they've released in that time is ToR expansions, ME:A and DA:I that isn't an exaggeration.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I would be willing to bet the game is selling just fine, and in fact half expect some sort of 'fastest selling EA release this year ' announcement soon. Something to make it sound like everyone is buying the game, which is good for PR and also makes people go "Well if everyone else is playing it guess I gotta try too!".

After all since when have reviews ever had any sort of bearing on whether a game sells well or not?

The game was marketed to hell and back and has the Mass Effect logo slapped on for good measure, even if it's not breaking any records I've not doubt the game is selling well. As for why the sale this early, who knows? Probably some accountant somewhere trying to pad a few numbers.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
It will never happen, but EA/Bioware could always fix the ME3 ending, by re-doing the entire thing even though the game has been out for years already, and then produce a proper sequel. One of the benefits of "Andromeda" is that being set in another galaxy it can always be treated as a spin-off that went nowhere.

That said Andromeda isn't terrible, it's just not the "OMG, this is wonderful" quality that people expect from Bioware.

BUT They should not have left their "C" team to work with a franchise like this, and then of course you have Manveer Heir and his anti-white rants and such which probably hurt the game's release substantially, they didn't cut him until after the game was finished despite the complaints.

Had they put their best people on it, and kept guys like Manveer far away from any kind of major role in game development, I think things would have turned out considerably better.

There is hope, neither Bioware or their major franchises are beyond saving, but at this point it seems increasingly likely that it's all coming to a sad end and all that will remain are fond memories.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
But....new games go on sale the week of release all the time? This is just crafting your own narrative to an excellent degree though, so, congrats?

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Elijin said:
But....new games go on sale the week of release all the time? This is just crafting your own narrative to an excellent degree though, so, congrats?
That, or just plain ol' delusional, hyperbolic wish-fulfillment.

Sales figures are a dark art, sure, but wasn't DA:I their biggest selling property? Or at least massively successful (easily enough to be called a critical and commercial hit)? Even if ME:A is less successful, it'd very like represent a stumble at best. But hey, this is BioWare we're talking about; the debacle over ME3 was rather revealing about gamers/gamer culture, and not in a good way. Certain groups/people just wuv to hate 'em. And ironically it's mostly about identity politics, but not in the way they think it is.

...however, I'm a huge BioWare fan and I won't be getting ME:A until its patched some issues away. All companies - particularly the triple-A's - should be punished for releasing shoddy products onto the market. If a day1 patch had dealt with them after reviewers had to endure major bugs, fine, I'd be playing the damn thing right now, but it may take weeks or months to truly address. They've not lost a sale with me, but they clearly have lost an early unit being shifted and publishers go nuts over those kinds of sales.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
The funny thing is, for me, comparing it to DragonAge 2 works in its favour since I fuckin' loved DragonAge 2.

What I don't love is my dog-shit internet taking over 24 hours to download the fucking thing - 43.76GB! Jesus tap-dancing Christ, BioWare. Just do the PC release on a BluRay Disc: there's higher than average odds our gaming PCs have at least a drive that can read them.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Gordon_4 said:
Jesus tap-dancing Christ, BioWare. Just do the PC release on a BluRay Disc: there's higher than average odds our gaming PCs have at least a drive that can read them.
Yeah, it's becoming more common and very annoying.

Though I can't tell if it's a cost cutting measure or a means to secretly get rid of bricks and mortar stores.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Fucking please, this witch hunt for Bioware/Andromeda is ridiculous.
Gordon_4 said:
The funny thing is, for me, comparing it to DragonAge 2 works in its favour since I fuckin' loved DragonAge 2.

What I don't love is my dog-shit internet taking over 24 hours to download the fucking thing - 43.76GB! Jesus tap-dancing Christ, BioWare. Just do the PC release on a BluRay Disc: there's higher than average odds our gaming PCs have at least a drive that can read them.
Get used to it, it's not really the developers fault that you have dogshit internet in 2017.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Elijin said:
What do you mean? I totally didn't get NieR: Automata for 20% off literally before it released. It's unheard of!

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Therumancer said:
It will never happen, but EA/Bioware could always fix the ME3 ending, by re-doing the entire thing even though the game has been out for years already, and then produce a proper sequel.
They'll never do that for one good reason. They'd lose all the support from the gaming press who went on the attack for them, branding everyone as entitled whiners and how they were destroying Bioware's artistic integrity.

That press support is more valuable to them than the Mass Effect IP.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Lets not get hasty here...Bioware is NOT dead.

Nearly every franchise has their weak/poor entry and it doesn't spell doom for them.

- Arkham Origins didn't kill that franchise.
- Dragon Age 2 didn't kill that franchise. (I absolutely love this game but I know I'm against the norm)
- Final Fantasy has several games to choose from and none of those killed the franchise.
- Resident Evil has tons of B-entries and even a some main games that didn't kill the franchise. As bad as people perceive Andromeda, I seriously doubt its anywhere near as bad as RE6.

I could go on but I think that's enough to get the point across.

Also, while having a sale soon after launch doesn't send a great message out to the public, it's also not unheard of these days. You could argue that a sale in the first 2 days vs 2 weeks or 1 month is a meaningful difference but to me the game is still brand new in all of those cases so the same message is being sent either way.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Gordon_4 said:

Get used to it, it's not really the developers fault that you have dogshit internet in 2017.
No, there's a whole goddamn building full of shitheads I can blame for that. Doesn't make it any less annoying for me.

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
It's an independent seller (Ships from and sold by 510BARBOSA78)on Amazon, not Amazon itself selling the game at that price. It's also only available with a $5 discount on Xbox.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Gordon_4 said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Gordon_4 said:

No, there's a whole goddamn building full of shitheads I can blame for that. Doesn't make it any less annoying for me.
I hope that building is your internet providers. Developers also usually lets you pre-load their games a couple of days before release.