Mass Effect Andromeda Review - A Galaxy Far, Far, Away

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
008Zulu said:
I recall Bioware saying that you could send your squaddies out to do those fetch quests. Can that be done?
Yes and no. Basically, you can send APEX strike teams out to take care of missions that you could normally do yourself by way of the multiplayer. It might take them a couple of real life hours to complete. You can purchase multiple teams and level them up individually so you can be doing more than one at a time. It's actually kind of fun and you can get some decent rewards for very little effort if your team is successful (percentage chance based on how strong your team is vs the difficult of the mission).

Kahani

May 25, 2011
ffronw said:
this is because the game's writing seems oddly out of sync, varying from quests that feel agonizing and meaningful to those that feel worth ignoring entirely. Worse, the moments that did feel important had little lasting impact.
I feel this is one of the biggest problems with big AAA games these days. People worry about things like too much focus on graphics and flashy cinematics, but even without that, a game developed by hundreds of people across many different teams and often in different offices and even different continents is always going to struggle to be consistent and connected. You get a brilliant author writing one quest, followed by a terrible one writing the next for exactly the same character. Or even a perfectly good one writing the next quest, but with no idea what's supposed to have happened previously since its all written in isolation. And given that different bits are written at different times and inserted into place later, plus open(ish) worlds letting players change the order of events, it may not be possible for anyone to know whether one piece of writing is supposed to follow another or not. So we constantly get well written parts mixed up with utter crap, and get deep emotional parts mixed up with goofy comic relief.

SlumlordThanatos said:
space is a big setting, and trading one galaxy for another doesn't really change very much if you stop and think about it.
Space is a big place, which is exactly why trading one galaxy for another really should change pretty much everything. Pretending to have a different setting while keeping exactly the same species with exactly the same characterisations, exactly the same technology, exactly the same planet exploring, and so on, really seems to miss the point of having a new setting in the first place. It just looks like they're trying to placate people who didn't like where the original trilogy went, only without actually changing anything. Of course, they're in a rather "damned if you do, damned if you don't situation", since then you have things like this:
erttheking said:
Because we had to leave behind every single character, location and situation we had come to know and care about. Kind of a deal breaker for a lot of people. We essentially have to start over from scratch
On the one hand you have people who are annoyed because it's just repeating all the same things as the previous games instead of doing anything new, but on the other hand you have people who are annoyed because they've moved the setting instead of just continuing with exactly the same characters and story. And of course, this contrast is so common you can go to TV Tropes and compare the pages "They changed it, now it sucks", and "It's the same, now it sucks". But I do think they made a bit of a poor choice here by going halfway and not really pleasing anyone.

GARforGunman

Dec 12, 2010
Quazimofo said:
008Zulu said:
SlumlordThanatos said:
Getting around the mess that was ME3's ending wasn't impossible

Yeah well, people bitched about XCOM picking a Canon ending they didn't like, and that turned out great. Just... Pick one (that isn't synthesis) and run with it.
Some personal thoughts on XCOM 2 and how it might relate to Mass Effect. Bare with me.

The defeat scenario they went with for XCOM 2's opening was nowhere near what we saw in the first game. In EU/EW, the aliens' invasion was gradual enough to not even feel like an invasion. Even with the original Long War mod it never felt too overwhelming. Sure, they'd throw progressively more powerful UFO's and species at Earth, but it was like a scientific experiment to test mankind. You could lose in the first few months, but only if you're extremely unlucky and inept at managing your resources.

Then XCOM 2 happened and, rather than the slow buildup of alien forces we saw in the first game, we see them throwing late-game units and battle cruisers at XCOM while they're still armed with ballistic weapons. Hell, the base defense mission occurred before they could even stun an Outsider, let alone successfully assault the alien base.

Initially, this felt like a setback story-wise for players who'd invested hundreds of hours into the original. Game designers may create the game, but its player investment that can give it life to sustain it. XCOM 2's story initially felt like it was negating that investment while trying to allude to events that (supposedly) never canonically happened in the first game. Ret-conning events in a series this young is usually a recipe for disaster.

Thankfully, this was saved by some end-game revelations and possible sequel hooks that seem tied to events from both the defeat and victory scenarios of EU/EW. Best of all, it was revealed in a manner that didn't insult the player's choices and actions up to that point.

With Mass Effect 3 (and The Old Republic and DA:I), Bioware didn't do that. Its not just that all the endings (even the Refuse option) are flawed from a lore, gameplay and thematic standpoint. The game is riddled with moments that trivialize the major decisions players made throughout their multi-game journey. Had they actually mapped out the players' consequences and found a way to incorporate them into just one ending that fit within everything built up to that point, they might have succeeded.

Instead, Bioware has created their own nightmare where they can't stick to one canon scenario without creating more problems. Their move to Andromeda can't solve this issue. If anything, the problem seems to be getting worse going by the quality of writing for this new entry.

I have a feeling the Mass Effect series will be held up as a warning for future RPG developers to head. Tread carefully in promising things to your players lest they turn against you for not delivering.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
MCerberus said:
I think TB's bottom-line agrees with what I've played so far
"It's jank, but fun jank"
I came here to say exactly this (I'm listening to this week's Co-Optional right now :p).

I'm not gonna sit here and say it's an amazing game because the polish is clearly not there and - as TB points out - there are serious issues with the UI. But in terms of the core gameplay itself - exploration and combat - it's very fun.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
What are the characters like though? The squadmates? I loved the original games but as I'm sure many would agree, what made them was the characters; Garrus, Tali, Wrex, Liara, etc. Shifting everything so that none of these characters will be present was a ballsy move, although I can see that it was also a necessary one. Having said that, I can get behind this if the new squadmates are still love-able/funny/charismatic/interesting.

Do they shape up?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Cycloptomese said:
Basically, you can send APEX strike teams out to take care of missions that you could normally do yourself by way of the multiplayer.
I was hoping it would be that they would go do the fetch quests for you.

KaraFang

Aug 3, 2015
infohippie said:
erttheking said:
SlumlordThanatos said:
KaraFang said:
Mass Effect Andromeda: "We pooch screwed the series with ME3.... whoops! Move to a new location!! Move to a new location!"
I see this a lot, and I'm wondering exactly why this is bothering so many people.
Because we had to leave behind every single character, location and situation we had come to know and care about. Kind of a deal breaker for a lot of people. We essentially have to start over from scratch, and it's hard to make lightning strike twice when it comes to creating a unique world filled with people you care about.
Yeah, for me Mass Effect IS Liara, Wrex, Tali, Calibrations-guy as well as the Citadel and all the minor races. Well, at least I still have ME3 to look forward to playing, one day, if it ever comes to a Steam. 'Cause as long as it's exclusive to Origin, I ain't buying it.
These above are how I feel.

As for the current area and crew, I would say they "could" continue the series here... and it "could" be good. But to do so we would have to swallow one change (a) and then they would have to invest in a script and keep it tight against the characters AND the world and have a decent "baddie" or "situation" to fight (B)

a) You have to choose a "canon" ending. For best purposes - Destroy - ending. Rebuild is an excellent starting point, synthesis was the antithesis of everything ME originally had going, and control was a bit of a "this is how stuff is" end...not much game elementing from there. So, HAVE to choose a "canon" end and we have to swallow this.

this "could" be aided by a starting movie with Liara commenting something along the lines of:

"We won... at such cost. Still, sometimes, when I meditate and open myself to the void I can almost sense the other paths... other universes. some are far worse, some have so MUCH suffering. Others are empty.... Some are better, wonderful. But I have to live with what the universe has given us. This is our path and we shall walk it"

Etc etc etc. Do this and while a lot of people will be "butt hurt", it does negate that this is the ONLY canon ending. You specify that Liara knows that others exist (and if you don't wanna do the Asari being deeper connecting to the universe thing, have her talk about being a scientist and knowing quantum states etc exist allowing for multiple worlds.

So, that's sorted and we have a resolved timeline point for "game" purposes and which races made it etc

b) you need something that is at least engaging enough as the Reaper war. Okay, here we go:

With destroy, you have the backdrop for power vaccums and struggles all going in the universe. You have a military force that has been beaten down and is stretched thin (no matter how many species you got on side). So, 1st mission, get Shepherd back... she/he is badly injured and so therefore allows for having to hone skills again etc.

Sub missions, plot pushing focus = assisting universe to rebuild, deal with issues etc.

Main Plot = Simple, USE THE DARK MATTER/SUN COLLAPSE PLOT HINTED IN ME2!!!!!!!

It's sitting there, unused. Make it so that (like the Protheans before) we as Eezo using races are starting to pick up some suns becoming unstable and turns out there is a major issue with Eezo being used for FTL etc. Cue Shepherd and team trying to sort THAT out with limited resources.

Or heck, you could make it so that the Reapers and the "child" AI had a failsafe option in case the crucible were to be used. (Say what you like, that choice option made no sense from such a flawed AI that believed what it was doing was the ONLY option.)

OR you could make it so the Leviathan race were awakened when the Reapers were wiped out (a la Protheans on Ilos) and they are now trying to tap into the suns power and the damaged relays to create a mind control wave that would enslave every being in the galaxy... and the sun instability is the cause.

There's LOADS of options using the sun issue from ME2.

You then have a plot that's of almost the same scope as the Reapers killing everyone... now you have to try and save the galaxy from imploding.

I'd have rather had that (and an admission from BW that they dropped the ball) than Andromeda moving away from ALL of that, and then doing another Reaperlike (lite) threat, extinct race has solution, same aliens (but nobody you care about) and nothing is mentioned really from that. (sighs).

As I say, as I haven't played ME:A I cannot comment. But the reviews, information about it etc means I am very uninterested in it as a purchase. (shrugs).

djl3485

Sep 30, 2012
Auron225 said:
What are the characters like though? The squadmates? I loved the original games but as I'm sure many would agree, what made them was the characters; Garrus, Tali, Wrex, Liara, etc. Shifting everything so that none of these characters will be present was a ballsy move, although I can see that it was also a necessary one. Having said that, I can get behind this if the new squadmates are still love-able/funny/charismatic/interesting.

Do they shape up?
It's all perspective. I enjoy the new squadmates, especially PeeBee, Drak and Vetra. Of course they aren't the original characters but they are all good in their own way. The only person I didn't seem to like was Liam.

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
...Oh god.

Okay, look. I am the biggest Biodrone/Bioware Apologist I know of. I've played multiple Bioware games and continue to buy and purchase them when available. In fact, I still insist that Dragon Age: Inquisition is a good game.

That being said, Mass Effect: Andromeda is not a perfect game. It has several outstanding issues, both technically speaking and narratively speaking. Just as the beautiful backgrounds heavily contrast with the stiff facial animations, so does the narrative contrast with the character work. There are times when Mass Effect: Andromeda has a memorable moment, but it's contrast with tedious planet scanning or odd dialogue or a character that doesn't add up.

Even compared to Bioware's worst title, Dragon Age 2, the characters of Mass Effect: Andromeda never seem to hit that sweet spot of characterization. Compare Alistair's snarking, Miranda's ice queen attitude, Aveline's duty, Carver's incessant whining, and the cast of Andromeda (save for Drack who's just so much fun and maybe Jaal, Kallo and Vetra), just doesn't feel memorable. It'd be one thing of the characters were completely unlikable, but it's just the opposite; they're so bland with so many inconsistent and indistinct traits that they never add up to anything beyond generic. The biggest offenders are Cora and Liam. Frankly, these two don't really have anything to say that sticks out.

There's plenty of content to do, but it's, as the reviewer put it, busy work. It's there so you can get more experience and perks and not much else.

I enjoyed Mass Effect: Andromeda, but it's clearly imperfect. I, personally, don't need a refund or feel ripped off. At the same time, however, I can also see a consumer look at the game, see the imbalanced visual glitches and writing, and say "maybe I'll wait until it's patched', and understand where they're coming from.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
KaraFang said:
infohippie said:
a) You have to choose a "canon" ending. For best purposes - Destroy - ending. Rebuild is an excellent starting point, synthesis was the antithesis of everything ME originally had going, and control was a bit of a "this is how stuff is" end...not much game elementing from there. So, HAVE to choose a "canon" end and we have to swallow this.
There are a lot of good options stemming from this and it could even be a way for Bioware to salvage their massive scrweup with the ending. You could follow up with another trilogy and the whole first game could be spent putting down minor warlords trying to seize power over small areas of the galaxy while trying to repair and salvage the handful of remaining jump gates to extend your reach. Towards the end of it you could become aware of whatever issue with the unstable suns as a big end of game reveal, ready to lead into the second game.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
djl3485 said:
Auron225 said:

Do they shape up?
It's all perspective. I enjoy the new squadmates, especially PeeBee, Drak and Vetra. Of course they aren't the original characters but they are all good in their own way. The only person I didn't seem to like was Liam.
Liam's loyalty mission is a whole load of fun, especially if your playing as humorous Ryder :) but it's Mass Effect so apart from loyalty missions I very rarely use human squad members (Cora or Drak? do the math!)

I'm honestly having a blast, is it Mass Effect 2? No but then again few games have come close to that space opera for me.
It's got the free roaming of DA: Inquisition, character that, for the most part, are engaging, judgement calls that make you think (and not just in a "is this going to come back to bite me next game?") and "OTT BIOTIC POWERS"

Ignore the reviews that do nothing but ***** about the animation, I've only noticed it on a couple of occasions cause I'm too busy having fun!

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Imagine if Bioware sold the Mass Effect rights to CDPR. What an amazing game we would get.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
The impression I've gotten from the various reviews sounds like the team who created ME:A didn't gel very well, perhaps in part because of time constraints. There's a lot of "the writing here is good, but here, it's lackluster" and "there's so much space, but a lot of it is empty, and many of the missions are lackluster" and "the combat is good, but there isn't enough around it that reflects that level of polish".

Combined with the bugs, animation errors and graphical snafus, the impression is of various teams that weren't communicating well about reaching common expectations or shifting focus when something could have used another pass.

It's a pity; EA doesn't seem to be the most forgiving company right now as far as giving franchises another chance when they stumble, even if the stumble may have been something the brass had a part in creating (which may have been the case if they needed more time than they were given).

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
my opinion is that bioware managed to create the sharknado of the mass effect universe.. mindless fun and messed up on so many levels