Mass effect 'Battle-Healer/Medic' class.

Cmwissy

Aug 26, 2009
Hey Escapees, I finally bought Mass Effect 1& 2 after much contemplation; And I am now just skimming through the classes.

Yahtzee was right about the classes - they're all extremely easy to confuse.

I'm looking for a 'Cleric'-esque class (Medium/Heavy armor - Battle healing) but can't seem to find one; I understand the Engineer is the 'normal' healing class and I would assume the Infiltrator (Engineer/soldier hybrid) is the battle-healer; but sadly that's the rogue class.

So; I'm currently stuck in-between Vanguard and Sentinel; the Vanguard has the armour but doesn't seem to have any heals (And I really want to be a support medic) while the Sentinel seems to be a lightly armoured squishy; (although they apparently get an ability that shoots their armor through the roof called barrier or something)

Which class fits my description of healer/warrior better?

DuplicateValue

Jun 25, 2009
Mass Effect, Mass Effect, Mass Effect. It's everywhere. And it's annoying. (No offence to you, OP.)

Can't we have just one overall Mass Effect thread where you can all discuss the game and ask questions, etc?

Dec 14, 2009
Heals don't matter, this game plays very different to other RPGs in that respect. There's an ability that increases the amount of healing you get from medi-gel, but that can be from any of your teamates, just go with the class you like the most.

Cmwissy

Aug 26, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Heals don't matter, this game plays very different to other RPGs in that respect. There's an ability that increases the amount of healing you get from medi-gel, but that can be from any of your teamates, just go with the class you like the most.

Ah thank you - So the medicine ability is cross-class but the engineer/sentinel is slightly better at it?

DuplicateValue said:
Mass Effect, Mass Effect, Mass Effect. It's everywhere. And it's annoying. (No offence to you, OP.)

Can't we have just one overall Mass Effect thread where you can all discuss the game and ask questions, etc?
Many apologies - I'm thinking about how painful it was when Modern warfare 2 came out.

rockingnic

May 6, 2009
There is no healer class. In ME1 you use med packs and ME2 you have rechargeable health like CoD. It's more about what powers you want, what weapons you want to be able to use and armor range.

Cmwissy

Aug 26, 2009
rockingnic said:
There is no healer class. In ME1 you use med packs and ME2 you have rechargeable health like CoD. It's more about what powers you want, what weapons you want to be able to use and armor range.

Ah, I'll probably go as a Vanguard then as they seem more of a caster/warrior hybrid.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
As far as I am aware, the only way to heal teammates is Unity which everyone gets.

Dec 14, 2009
Cmwissy said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Ah thank you - So the medicine ability is cross-class but the engineer/sentinel is slightly better at it?
No, whoever has the first aid skill can use it the best of it's abilites, but only one teammate really needs to have it because effects all characters when you heal. If you're really bothered about survival skill then use soldier, once they level up a fair bit they are damn near unstoppable.

rockingnic

May 6, 2009
Cmwissy said:
rockingnic said:

Ah, I'll probably go as a Vanguard then as they seem more of a caster/warrior hybrid.
I suggest any class with excess to at least medium armor because I beat ME1 with the soldier (only 2 playthroughs)and don't know how I would beat it with anything less than heavy armor on the hardest difficulty. ME2, the classes are more balanced out with no restriction to armor and the cooldown times are improved so you can use them more often in combat as well as with more effective effects.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
DuplicateValue said:

Wait until march for all the FF13 threads and troll threads.

DuplicateValue

Jun 25, 2009
Random Argument Man said:
DuplicateValue said:

I'll totally be one of the people making those threads (the FF13 ones, not the troll ones xD). /hypocrite

DuplicateValue

Jun 25, 2009
s69-5 said:
DuplicateValue said:
DuplicateValue said:

I'll totally be one of the people making those threads (the FF13 ones, not the troll ones xD). /hypocrite
I really like FF a lot (since FF1 on the NES) but I have a feeling that they will be just as irritating.
Probably. But at least they'll be something irritating that I can actually understand.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
DuplicateValue said:
s69-5 said:
DuplicateValue said:
DuplicateValue said:

I really like FF a lot (since FF1 on the NES) but I have a feeling that they will be just as irritating.
Probably. But at least they'll be something irritating that I can actually understand.
Bah. As someone who likes both FF games and Mass Effect, I reserve the right to be irritating and obtuse on the topic of either. All the same, one of these days I'll have to try my hand at trolling one or the other. A well equipped troll works from familiarity with the subject material.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
There is no healer class in the Mass Effect series. There is no healing period in the Mass Effect series beyond Medi-Gel (like a health potion type thing).

Cmwissy

Aug 26, 2009
MetallicaRulez0 said:
There is no healer class in the Mass Effect series. There is no healing period in the Mass Effect series beyond Medi-Gel (like a health potion type thing).

Don't Medi-Gel's get certain upgrades with talents with certain classes though?

Similar to how the medicine skill effects stim-paks in fallout 3.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
Pretty much every class has the first aid skill. The squishy engineer, sentinel, and adepts get the medicine skill branch which reduces the amount of time it takes to re-use the first-aid ability. Don't be afraid to use them just because they can only wear light armor. Biotics get the barrier ability which super-charges their sheilds for a short time and techs can seriously boost their sheilds in general by putting points in the electronics skill branch. That doesn't mean that you have to choose a medically capable class in order to heal well, you can heal the same amount if one of your partners has points in the skill. You're always the one that activates the heal.

Mass Effect combat isn't really about having designated roles as much as in other games. It's about playing the way you want to. Combat classes have greater armor and can use better guns, but they can't use skills (spells) as well. Tech and biotic classes each have their own sorts of skills which are used to damage the enemy as well applying effects, but aren't quite as capable when the skills are recharging.