Mass Effect being blamed for Connecticut shooting.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
So I'm sure most of you are aware of the shooting in Connecticut that left 18 children and 7 adults dead. Well it seems now, going by this image, that Mass Effect is somehow being blamed.

Now, I just saw this image on Tumblr, so I've not got a story on how Mass Effect has come to be blamed other than the shooter being a fan of Mass Effect judging by the likes on his Facebook page. But I wanted to bring this to your attention. What are your thoughts on this?

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well, the really stupid thing about the whole thing (besides you know, blaming Mass Effect for the shooting in the first place) is that (as far as I'm lead to believe) the guy that liked Mass Effect and that the people were (and possibly still are) hunting down isn't actually the shooter. It was his brother.

But you know, can't have the truth getting in the way of a good ol' fashioned moral hoo-hah!

Also, since it's getting near Christmas, and it's Mass Effect related and the picture sort of implies "Can you go away for a moment"

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
Did the shooter use biotics or something?

How is him liking Mass Effect relevant at all?

Rude as HECK

Feb 24, 2011
I believe the name being thrown around was Ryan Lanza, but other reports say this is the name of the brother of the actual shooter. I don't know the truth there, but clearly there's a lot of confusion here.

Also idiots.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Andy Shandy said:
Wait, so people were, and still possibly are, after the wrong person? Oh, this just gets better and better...
Yep. Most of the media put out that the shooter was Ryan Lanza (the one that has like Mass Effect on Facebook), when it seems to be Adam Lanza, his brother.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/14/media-adam-lanza-newtown-connecticut-shooter-ryan-lanza_n_2302864.html

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Whoa whoa whoa!!! Mass Effect is being blamed for this shooting.

"And to think there are 1.3million people out there being drawn in by this sick idea for a video game. God help us all!!!"

Well, I suppose it is. I actually want to reach into the internet and slap the people writing this shit for their utter stupidity.

I always thought that Mass Effect was a pretty positive game that taught that people regardless of who they are can all work together towards a common goal, saving the universe. Ok yeah, there is some shooting, but it is not an essential part of the game.

Agghhhhh!!! The stupidity is actually hurting me.

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
Yeah if I lost friends and family the first thing I would do is post about it on facebook, uhgghghghg. People can be so immature.

Jeez I kind of feel sorry for this Ryan Lanza, not only did his brother kill 26 people and then he himself got killed, but he also killed their mother. Poor kid must be going through hell right now. If that is in fact true, like fapper plain stated, don't trust the news so early, they always get it wrong.

Hey, an idea occured to me. Maybe this has something to do with the end of the world? Maybe this Adam Lanza actually believed the world was going to end in 7 days and thought "Fuck it, I'll kill a bunch of kids and then off myself", thinking he'll be dead in a week anyway. I mean 26 random people being killed is pretty crazy, 20 of them being small children ages 5-10.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Well... man, I knew some people were still really pissed about ME3's ending, but there's no need to take it out on the kids. :p

[sub][sub]I'm a terrible, terrible person and I'm sorry.[/sub][/sub]

On a more serious note, 'games causing violence' hysteria isn't usually grounded in careful, rational thought at the best of times, but this reaches new lows of window-licking stupidity. Not only are people blaming a tangential connection to a game that involves shooting (but isn't really a full on shooter and certainly not a 'realistic' shooter) rather than the very un-tangential factors in these deaths (i.e. the shooter, and the gun he was carrying), but they haven't even got the right guy anyway.

Joseph Harrison

Apr 5, 2010
I've avoided posted anything on Facebook or discussing it took much because there's so little news right now. These people are being stupid and just looking for something easy to blame because they don't want to believe that there are seriously crazy fucked up people out there who don't need a reason to kill 26 people, 18 of whom are children. I wish people could just spend at least a day in respectful morning before starting the blame game.

Nothing Tra La La

Feb 10, 2010
On one hand, I understand people trying to look for someone/something to blame. Otherwise, what happened is just senseless (which, sadly, it was). But this is really ridiculous. I'm sick to death of the whole "violence in games lead to violence in real life" debate. We don't automatically assume a cannibal went out and started eating people because he liked to play Kirby. Instead of trying to vilify the entertainment industry, we need to focus on preventative measures for tragedies like this.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Nothing Tra La La said:
I'm sick to death of the whole "violence in games lead to violence in real life" debate.
It's also that Mass Effect is a game that ultimately promotes peace and working together towards a greater goal, and it's being blamed for a shooting. All because the misidentified shooter liked the game. People are far too quick to start throwing around the blame without having all the facts. They want a scapegoat and gaming unfortunately always seems to be that scapegoat.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
What. The. Fuck? I mean WOW. You have to dilute yourself a lot to think this. I guess Valut101 was right, people will look for any reason to hate Mass Effect.

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
So because he LIKED the game...that automatically makes it the games fault...Ya, people will look for a scapegoat anywhere they can find it. Truly, my heart goes out to everyone affected, but seriously man....the dude was probably unstable, and there is no one to blame but the man who pulled the trigger.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010

I'm 100% positive that mass effect didn't cause it.

Him being a fan means nothing

On a side note, mass effect is one hell of a target

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
"What was the shooter wearing at the time?"
"A pair of Levi jeans, and..."
"LEVI! HOW COULD THEY!? I HOPE THEY ROT IN HELL!"

This is no different to me...

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Why have people always got to find a fucking thing to blame?
Why not have a little fucking respect for the family of people who died without having a massive rage boner against something you dislike?
I don't even give a shit that it's a video game being blamed, I just fucking hate these people going around acting like massive cunts.

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
The Mass Effect facebook page is comedy gold. I almost feel bad for laughing. Why do these people think shooting pixelated aliens in a video game is worse then taking an actual rifle and hunting deer in the woods?

Perhapes we should outlaw meat and all become vegetarians?

My favorite post by far is "ANAKIN killed children. Not Commander Shepard. Wrong sci-fi, people." Oh boy haha.