Mass Effect Extended Cut Question

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
After looking at one spoiler that made my jaw drop a tad I realized they may have actually made a decent amount of changes to the end of the game with this DLC. For anyone who's watched/played it can you describe what kind of things they did and whether or not you liked them without any specific spoilers? I won't be able to play it until after work today and probably not until I get at least a little bit of Dawnguard under my belt. Also, do you really have to play from the Cerberus Base mission or should you just start somewhere during the Earth mission? Thanks!

Saegrim

Dec 11, 2011
Most of the changes occurred from Shepard getting up and going to the Citadel.

As for what they did...
They covered most of the plot holes the original had.
The Catalyst, while still feeling sudden and completely out of the blue, is easier to accept this time around.
Shepard doesn't blithely accept what it says this time around, and the undertones of their conversation is interesting.
For the actual ending sequence, they provide plenty of closure. There are some lingering plot threads, but not many.
If you pick Destroy, you're still going to get a little kick to the balls. Not a big one, but it's still a kick to the balls.

Overall, I liked it. It's not perfect, but it's appreciable and nice to have. It created a decent resolution instead of the abrupt and blurred one we got before.

As I said in a previous thread, the original ending felt like we had climbed a very large staircase, and just as we were about to hit the final step, we realized it wasn't there.
This time, there is a final step. It's made of granite, and isn't as well shaped as the diamond forged, ninety-degree cut previous steps, but it's there, and it's nice to have and is appreciable.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
There are a few things between Cerberus base and going up into the citadel, but mostly they address very specific plot holes, and you won't really miss anything big by not playing them. However, in regard to the ending:

*spoilers at this point, if you don't want to know anything important stop reading now*

from another thread, the account of my reaction to the extended cut

copy... paste:

I was very annoyed. The first time I played through it I'm like, well before I do this fuck you stupid "godkid" for still being here *shoots the godkid*

*OH GOD HARBINGER VOICE*

*Everyone dies*

Ok then... so indoctrination theory is right... maybe?

*Plays through again with destroy*

.... ok... some extra slides... Liara is sad.... and Shepard is dead now?

*cliffhanger breath scene*

right.. so there's more now...?

*credits*

...ok, maybe after the credits...?

*Buzz Aldrin speaks*

...maybe after this...

*stupid pop up message*

oh you noncommittal motherf**** *** **** ** ***** ***** ** * in the ******* *** * * * * ****** **** ** * * **** **** barnacles ***** ** **** ** ** *** with a goddamn pig...

:mad:

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Saegrim said:
Most of the changes occurred from Shepard getting up and going to the Citadel.

As for what they did...
They covered most of the plot holes the original had.
The Catalyst, while still feeling sudden and completely out of the blue, is easier to accept this time around.
Shepard doesn't blithely accept what it says this time around, and the undertones of their conversation is interesting.
For the actual ending sequence, they provide plenty of closure. There are some lingering plot threads, but not many.
If you pick Destroy, you're still going to get a little kick to the balls. Not a big one, but it's still a kick to the balls.

Overall, I liked it. It's not perfect, but it's appreciable and nice to have. It created a decent resolution instead of the abrupt and blurred one we got before.

As I said in a previous thread, the original ending felt like we had climbed a very large staircase, and just as we were about to hit the final step, we realized it wasn't there.
This time, there is a final step. It's made of granite, and isn't as well shaped as the diamond forged, ninety-degree cut previous steps, but it's there, and it's nice to have and is appreciable.
That is nice to know. I originally picked destroy before because it felt like the "best" ending before but I have heard there are new endings now, so I'll definitely go for one of the new ones. I'll probably just load up a save right before the end and play from there before hopping onto Dawnguard. If they added anything before the very end I can just play through all that later this week.

I am not sure if I am more surprised that they have managed to cover most of the plot holes or that they actually added new endings even though they implied that they hadn't. How many were added by the way?

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
It's almost impossible for people who believed indoctrination theory to continue being ignorant. That's refreshing. Also there's a big Fuck you! ending directed at the players, the creators, and the characters in the game. It's easily the best ending in the game.

Saegrim

Dec 11, 2011
Fappy said:
That is nice to know. I originally picked destroy before because it felt like the "best" ending before but I have heard there are new endings now, so I'll definitely go for one of the new ones. I'll probably just load up a save right before the end and play from there before hopping onto Dawnguard. If they added anything before the very end I can just play through all that later this week.

I am not sure if I am more surprised that they have managed to cover most of the plot holes or that they actually added new endings even though they implied that they hadn't. How many were added by the way?
There's only one new ending. It actually made me laugh twice, because there's two ways to get to it, but either way it's hilarious.

Not that it's badly done, just what it is is quite funny to me.

You'll probably want to go through Destroy again. There's not much to the new ending. Most of what the Extended Cut does is seen in the original three.

I can give you a basic feel of the new ending if you want. I won't be specific.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Saegrim said:
Fappy said:

There's only one new ending. It actually made me laugh twice, because there's two ways to get to it, but either way it's hilarious.

Not that it's badly done, just what it is is quite funny to me.

You'll probably want to go through Destroy again. There's not much to the new ending. Most of what the Extended Cut does is seen in the original three.

I can give you a basic feel of the new ending if you want. I won't be specific.
I think that was the one thing I spoiled for myself.

Does it involve killing the star kid because I read that in another thread and started laughing :p

Saegrim

Dec 11, 2011
Fappy said:

Does it involve killed the star kid because I read that in another thread and started laughing :p
Well, the Catalyst doesn't actually die. That's just one of the two new triggers for the new ending.

Basically, in the new ending, the Catalyst and Reapers shit all over everything.
You can't even see it coming, really. It's hilariously abrupt.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Saegrim said:
Fappy said:

Does it involve killed the star kid because I read that in another thread and started laughing :p
Well, the Catalyst doesn't actually die. That's just one of the two new triggers for the new ending.

Basically, in the new ending, the Catalyst and Reapers shit all over everything.
You can't even see it coming, really. It's hilariously abrupt.
That's awesome. I am going to do destroy again and then probably check that one out.

Saegrim

Dec 11, 2011
Fappy said:
That's awesome. I am going to do destroy again and then probably check that one out.
I thought it was funny they even put that in. I knew some people wanted such an ending, but I didn't think they'd actually put it in.

To get the new ending, either pick all Renegade responses with the Catalyst, or when you're supposed to choose between Control, Synthesis, and Destroy, shoot him.

Oh, I forgot, with Control, Synthesis, and Destroy, a different character does a voiceover. Just based on what I've read, all three seem to fit well and are pretty neat. I've only heard the one for Destroy.

I don't know precisely how much our decisions affect the ending. I've only done it the once, and I only have one Shepard that's at the end of Mass Effect 3.[/quote][/quote]