Mass effect gets hi-res tex- wait...zomg Tali's face!

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
DracoSuave said:
You mean like Sarah from Chuck [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2088803/], except with dark hair?
Yea, as she was the model for Miranda. However, her forehead is not as large in real life. I just think something didn't quite translate right.

AD-Stu said:
I thought "Would Not Bang" memes were supposed to have a score and be contained in the one image? :p
I tried, I REALLY tried, but the game does not grace us with the never-ending forehead and chicklet teeth at the same time. Bioware must have thought that was just too much ugly to make a possible romance character display at one time...... and they were right. : ? /

xvbones

Oct 29, 2009
Wither said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
xvbones said:
Also to hell with Miranda, if I have to listen to one more lecture about how she's awesome and perfect and wonderful and it's so hard to be so awesome and perfect and wonderful I am firing her out of a fucking airlock.
+2 Renegade points.

Zachary Amaranth approves.

That would be an awesome game option. Spacing the characters who annoy you.
That's pretty much how I see Virmire. A chance to rid myself of Ashley. I found myself laughing with glee when it came time for her "heroic sacrifice" on my second playthrough.
I'm sorry, Ashley fans, but I just cant bring myself to sleep with a Nazi
Srsly.

In ME 2, when whatsisfuck asks you how you have recovered, emotionally, from Ashley's sacrifice, i was like "Ashley who? OH RIGHT THE ONE I BAKED WITH NUCLEAR FIRE HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA RIGHT HAHAHAHAHAHAH I ALMOST FORGOT SHE EXISTED, THE VENOMOUS **** HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Nah, nah, I'm pretty recovered, thank you, you're a doll for asking - Can i get another cup of coffee? Thanks."

boag

Sep 13, 2010
SpaceBat said:
boag said:
2 things, she makes a point of remembering those she kills.
And what does that change? Suffering for the kills you've made does not mean anything if you do not learn from it and improve yourself.

boag said:
and She didnt kill her daughter for having the condition, she kill her daughter for relishing in it and becoming a monster.
She killed her daughter for becoming a monster, which is generally the result of the condition (due to a heightened urge to mate) unless they are forced into isolation. No one will choose to be isolated from the world, unless the only other option is death. This doesn't justify her actions at all, as her fleeing resulted in the death of many innocent people (kind of like how Samara fleeing from law enforcement would result in the death of many innocent people. When you have the choice to avoid murder and choose to kill anyway, you're a monster).

boag said:
I would dare say that the mother in Omega is glad Justice was served, and got some closure from it.
Yes, what she did in Omega was the right thing to do. Here's my point though: I have nothing against her for killing her daughter on omega, because the evil deeds needed to be stopped and there was absolutely no other way. There was no chance of capture, of trial, of anything. She killed and it was the only option available to her at the moment. I do not mind killing a criminal when its necessary, but I would rather have law enforcers apprehend criminals if it is possible and if there would be no lives in danger by doing so. Violence and death should be the last choice.

boag said:
Lastly, Justicars dont go on "killing sprees", it was explained by her, she would only kill the unjust, she wont kill a person just because they arent dress accordingly, she would kill for people that did heinous acts.
If an Asari is withheld from her duties by anyone, such as local law enforcement, she will kill anyone who stands between her and the freedom to continue dishing out her absolute law. This is outright stated in the game. If the situation calls it, she will go on a killing spree and murder every person who dares to stand in her way, even if the victims are good people.

boag said:
Corruption, Abuse, Murder.
I can't remember the Justicar code being specific. It just mentions unjust, which I find to be unbelievably vague. Again, whether we're talking about a petty thief or a murderer, context should be important, but is a thing Justicars dismiss.

1.- Who says she doesnt learn anything?

2.- Her other 2 Daughters didnt become Monsters like Morinth, Also Samara didnt flee from the Law, her code even stated she had to cooperate for day, the reason for this has already been explained, a Justicar cannot be stopped by Red tape, the Police Chief and Sheppard both state how the Bosses fucked her over by asking her to detain Samara. There is no sane reason to ever doubt a Justicar, unless the Police are being bribed to stop her momentarily.

3.- If a Justicar is involved, peaceful solutions are long past. There was nobody that would be able Morinth, not with Jurisdiction and not with Power, this is part of the Reason Justicars exist.

4.- A petty thief, would have to be really unlucky or stupid to rob something while a Justicar is around. Justicars dont go after petty thieves, unless they witness it, or are made aware of it.

If you are this upset about Samara, you must really hate, Zaeed, Thane, Grunt, Wrex, Jack, Miranda, Mordin and Garrus, I dont see how you can single her out when each of these individuals pretty much kill/have killed outright for less noble reasons.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
SpaceBat said:
xvbones said:
As for the bit where she'd have been forced to kill that cop for delaying her, yeah, okay, so that's harsh but you know something Samara was hunting a fucking monster. Any delay -any delay - could potentially cost more and more and more lives. That part of the Justicar code made complete sense to me, because law enforcement at that extreme level should not be vulnerable to local bureaucracy. Powerful criminals should not be able to purchase red tape protection and local officials should not have the ability to halt a fucking monster hunter in the fulfillment of her duty.
It might make total sense for the Justicar code to have such a rule, but that doesn't make it right. Yes, they might be hunting monsters from time to time (Their main job is not monster hunting however. It's protecting the innocent whenever they can), but that does not give them the right to just ignore the laws of the area she's in and FUCKING KILL INNOCENT PEOPLE in order to keep doing what they do. They can never be held in custody for more than a day, regardless of their actions at that moment. The very fact that they're held captive means that they are not out there hunting for evil-doers, which means they cannot be held in custody at any point for more than a day without killing anyone who stands in their way.

In the end, killing innocent people who are just doing their job in order to save other innocent people just doesn't seem as the best choice to me. Yes, powerful officials might try and slow Justicars down by buying off corrupt officials, but do you honestly believe that massacring regular cops in order to avoid this is the right way to go (and do keep in mind that when she murders these people, others law enforcement officers will HAVE TO hunt her down as well, which will also then be murdered by Samara for doing their job) She is like Batman, breaking the law in order to do what she thinks is right. Only huge difference being that the criminals are subject to her rules and her rules always ends in death.

xvbones said:
What I will do is thoroughly disagree with you on just about every point; if Justicars were 'morally bankrupt', they would be purchasable and corruptible.
They would kill to suit their own needs, rather than kill because they are bound to the action.
They would, in fact, permit emotion to rule their action, rather than accept their positions as instruments of law enforcement.
Morally bankrupt, as I said above, was probably a wrong choice of words. I might have confused its meaning with something else. I apologize for that, as English isn't my first language. What I meant with Morally bankrupt was the fact that they try to repress every sense of morals they have and avoid any confrontation that might bring these morals back up. The fact that they follow their own set of rules anywhere without any exceptions and their contradictory behavior while doing so (Justicar must protect the innocent at all cost, even if it costs the lives of innocents.) basically means to me that they try to have no morals of their own, which is why I thought the word "morally bankrupt" would be appropriate.

xvbones said:
The Justicars have a clear purpose and are clearly well suited to that purpose. They are clearly worshipped by the Asari and there are clear reasons for that worship, seeing as how we met our only Justicar while she was busy hunting a fucking monster that eats children.
Monrith ate chi--wait that's not the point. As I said, the situation we encountered was different, but judging by the info we've gotten about Justicars, hunting down specific criminals isn't their main and only objective.

EDIT: I must add one thing though. I really appreciate you keeping the discussion civil, something that seems to be lacking on the internet. So once again, while our opinions may
differ, thank you for discussing in a normal manner.

1 and 2.- What innocent people has Samara killed? In no way will she kill an innocent unless this innocent is directly opposing her. In the theorized breakout, the Police Chief would have the choice of just Ignoring Samara and tell her bosses, sorry I couldnt stop her and letting her leave. There is nothing that would prevent real innocent people from just letting the Justicar leave.

3.- At the cost of the lives of the innocent, seems to be what is setting off your anger, im not sure how a Justicar would go out of its way to kill innocents unless the situation is fucked up enough that they are no longer innocent. Seriously, think about it, as a Cop why would you stop a Justicar from conducting an Investigation?

4.- by looks of it, Justicars are extremely Skillfull Elite Special Ops Units, one suddenly appearing means horrifying shit is going down somewhere near.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
xvbones said:
Sir, it is silly enough that we are having a genuine debate over the practices of an imaginary intergalactic law enforcement agency staffed entirely by psychic supermodels.

Getting uncivil about it would just be stupid.
This quote, may I use it as a signature in places, I would love ever so much.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
boag said:
SpaceBat said:
xvbones said:
As for the bit where she'd have been forced to kill that cop for delaying her, yeah, okay, so that's harsh but you know something Samara was hunting a fucking monster. Any delay -any delay - could potentially cost more and more and more lives. That part of the Justicar code made complete sense to me, because law enforcement at that extreme level should not be vulnerable to local bureaucracy. Powerful criminals should not be able to purchase red tape protection and local officials should not have the ability to halt a fucking monster hunter in the fulfillment of her duty.
It might make total sense for the Justicar code to have such a rule, but that doesn't make it right. Yes, they might be hunting monsters from time to time (Their main job is not monster hunting however. It's protecting the innocent whenever they can), but that does not give them the right to just ignore the laws of the area she's in and FUCKING KILL INNOCENT PEOPLE in order to keep doing what they do. They can never be held in custody for more than a day, regardless of their actions at that moment. The very fact that they're held captive means that they are not out there hunting for evil-doers, which means they cannot be held in custody at any point for more than a day without killing anyone who stands in their way.

In the end, killing innocent people who are just doing their job in order to save other innocent people just doesn't seem as the best choice to me. Yes, powerful officials might try and slow Justicars down by buying off corrupt officials, but do you honestly believe that massacring regular cops in order to avoid this is the right way to go (and do keep in mind that when she murders these people, others law enforcement officers will HAVE TO hunt her down as well, which will also then be murdered by Samara for doing their job) She is like Batman, breaking the law in order to do what she thinks is right. Only huge difference being that the criminals are subject to her rules and her rules always ends in death.

xvbones said:
What I will do is thoroughly disagree with you on just about every point; if Justicars were 'morally bankrupt', they would be purchasable and corruptible.
They would kill to suit their own needs, rather than kill because they are bound to the action.
They would, in fact, permit emotion to rule their action, rather than accept their positions as instruments of law enforcement.
Morally bankrupt, as I said above, was probably a wrong choice of words. I might have confused its meaning with something else. I apologize for that, as English isn't my first language. What I meant with Morally bankrupt was the fact that they try to repress every sense of morals they have and avoid any confrontation that might bring these morals back up. The fact that they follow their own set of rules anywhere without any exceptions and their contradictory behavior while doing so (Justicar must protect the innocent at all cost, even if it costs the lives of innocents.) basically means to me that they try to have no morals of their own, which is why I thought the word "morally bankrupt" would be appropriate.

xvbones said:
The Justicars have a clear purpose and are clearly well suited to that purpose. They are clearly worshipped by the Asari and there are clear reasons for that worship, seeing as how we met our only Justicar while she was busy hunting a fucking monster that eats children.
Monrith ate chi--wait that's not the point. As I said, the situation we encountered was different, but judging by the info we've gotten about Justicars, hunting down specific criminals isn't their main and only objective.

EDIT: I must add one thing though. I really appreciate you keeping the discussion civil, something that seems to be lacking on the internet. So once again, while our opinions may
differ, thank you for discussing in a normal manner.

1 and 2.- What innocent people has Samara killed? In no way will she kill an innocent unless this innocent is directly opposing her. In the theorized breakout, the Police Chief would have the choice of just Ignoring Samara and tell her bosses, sorry I couldnt stop her and letting her leave. There is nothing that would prevent real innocent people from just letting the Justicar leave.

3.- At the cost of the lives of the innocent, seems to be what is setting off your anger, im not sure how a Justicar would go out of its way to kill innocents unless the situation is fucked up enough that they are no longer innocent. Seriously, think about it, as a Cop why would you stop a Justicar from conducting an Investigation?

4.- by looks of it, Justicars are extremely Skillfull Elite Special Ops Units, one suddenly appearing means horrifying shit is going down somewhere near.
Yup.

Plus, Illium, while asari-controlled, isn't actually a part of asari space. Meaning that its laws (considerably more cosmopolitan than, say, the asari homeworld would be) are structured towards Illium business, not asari business.

The Justicar code would probably mesh absolutely with asari laws, as they are an arm of the asari system of punishment. However, it would not necessarily meld with non-asari laws, hense why the Justicars have the 24 hour allowance at all.

The fact is, asari law and culture has Justicars as a part of it. She's not 'above the law', she's 'a part of the law', not much different than Spectres, the STG, or any other such thing.

As well, the officer involved has a dilemma; she doesn't want to hold Samara either. This is why she requires your help... she needs to resolve this or else she's stuck between the law she is sworn to uphold, and the law of the Justicars which she honors and respects. That's as much an internal conflict of the officer as it is an external conflict between the officer and Samara. And for her part, Samara also acts to see this resolved, for she TOO does not desire this conflict.

There's nothing morally bankrupt about that. Samara doesn't want her code to force her to kill the officer, and the officer doesn't want to conflict with the Justicar code she respects. It's a conflict of incompatible rulesets between two people who do not desire to conflict, but are sworn to uphold those rules.

That's what I got out of their interaction; mutual respect. Not antipathy.

Ready2Go

Jun 7, 2010
Thank God, now people will shut up about her face. I would talk about it more but i toke a arrow in the knee.

Stephanos132

Sep 7, 2009
Use_Imagination_here said:
Jadak said:
I never got how the Quarians ended up with no immune system in the first place...

I mean, okay sure, they live in suits, that would do it. But why do they live in suits? Because they have no immune systems... Because they live in ships? How the how does that work, how would the mass exodus of a population in overcrowded ships result in a sterile environment? If anything it should be the opposite...
It doesn't have to make sense if it happened in the past. It's a general rule in mass effect.
Their immune systems were poor by our standards before being bound to the fleet. I believe the explanation was their worlds ecosystem was somewhat lacking in microscopic life, and what few did exist were not harmful, so the immune system was likely never needed on a scale comparable to us. Also, insect life was conspicuously absent too, meaning other life was needed for plant pollination, so there again it was better for their bodies to not react to inbound pollens and so on. Living in a completely sterile environment must've somehow exaggerated this trait.

Of course, it makes little sense if we are following our existing idea of life starting out microscopic and then scaling up after a while. One gets the impression the meeting that created the quarians started with things that afflict humans and then crossed a couple out.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Stephanos132 said:
Use_Imagination_here said:
Jadak said:
I never got how the Quarians ended up with no immune system in the first place...

I mean, okay sure, they live in suits, that would do it. But why do they live in suits? Because they have no immune systems... Because they live in ships? How the how does that work, how would the mass exodus of a population in overcrowded ships result in a sterile environment? If anything it should be the opposite...
It doesn't have to make sense if it happened in the past. It's a general rule in mass effect.
Their immune systems were poor by our standards before being bound to the fleet. I believe the explanation was their worlds ecosystem was somewhat lacking in microscopic life, and what few did exist were not harmful, so the immune system was likely never needed on a scale comparable to us. Also, insect life was conspicuously absent too, meaning other life was needed for plant pollination, so there again it was better for their bodies to not react to inbound pollens and so on. Living in a completely sterile environment must've somehow exaggerated this trait.

Of course, it makes little sense if we are following our existing idea of life starting out microscopic and then scaling up after a while. One gets the impression the meeting that created the quarians started with things that afflict humans and then crossed a couple out.
More like their immune system developed to form symbiotic links with microbiology in general, Hence by being in the fleet, their immune systems got fucked up by not being able to interact with foreign bodies.

Its like what happened in WALL-E, when people were stuck in chairs,appendages became irrelevant.

Carbonyl

Jun 2, 2011
Bara_no_Hime said:
Ghengis John said:
Better than 50%? No. **etc snip**
History begs to differ.

That gene is what makes people exclusively gay, not willing to fool around for pleasure. Society tells us that that is wrong, hence people don't do so as often.

Monkeys masturbate in public. We don't - not because it isn't fun, but because society tells us not to. There's no "masturbating in public" gene.

I wasn't implying that the previous poster (or you) are secretly gay or bi - I was implying that those concepts only matter because they're (to some extent) forbidden or categorized. If being straight/gay/bi was as accepted as do you prefer chocolate, vanilla, or swirl... there wouldn't even be terms, and "straight" people might try to other option out of curiosity or boredom.

Sexuality is related to genetic, hormonal, and neuronal differences. Some people have completely fluid sexuality (also some people do not identify with any gender), some have a large but finite range of accepted partner types, some have a small range, and some simply only want one gender/sexually identified/oriented partner, some people are asexual. I can objectively find someone of any gender attractive, lovely, and highly emotionally relevant, but I am only physically attracted to males and in fact, when I am in a relationship cease being physically attracted to anyone but my current partner. There are people who refuse to consider/accept/recognize that they may have socially "abnormal" sexual preferences or sexual identity, but society cannot change the fact that these preferences exist. People /can/ be conditioned to have averse reactions to things they would otherwise love through serious and repeated trauma experienced whenever the stimulus is presented. This is the same reason I can't eat avocados without getting nausea: the first time I had some (very delicious) guacamole, I spent the next ten hours throwing up an obscene amount of green vomit. Societal norms do not change sexual preference, they simply suppress expression and pursuit of them. I am straight because there isn't anything else I want. I am not bored. I asked myself if I was curious, and decided I wasn't, without feeling any need to seek empirical data. Not every man in ancient Greece wanted to participate in pederasty, but that was simply how things were done in that society. There are gay men who simply find no sexual desire for any female. There are people who have finite and definite preferences, and they are not going to stop having those preferences, no matter what society /allows/ them to do about it. Actions may be dictated by society, but inherent sexual preferences cannot.
Many people fail to have emotionally positive polygamous relationships, but it works for some people. We practice monogamy for a variety of reasons, some evolutionary, some emotional, and some cultural.

And there are MANY reasons we don't masturbate in public: It is unsanitary and would result in numerous infections (do you know how much a yeast infection hurts?). Bodily fluids can be biohazards and can spread disease. Bodily fluids must be cleaned up or are a violation of health codes. It forces others whose preferences are not the sight of you getting off to watch you getting off. It is a sexual act and constitutes sexual assault if consent is not given by all parties present. If it is in the presence of minors they can never legally give consent.
Masturbating in public is a disrespectful, inconsiderate, aggressive, and spiteful act. Humans are social creatures, and have many evolutionarily selected traits and behaviors that are advantageous in a socially dependent species.
Many people consider their bodies to be personal and private. It is their right to cover themselves as they see fit, it doesn't make them closed-minded or repressed.

ischmalud

Feb 5, 2011
xvbones said:
Can I just say that I have never understood the massively overwhelming fanwank passionate love for Tali?

Is it the knowledge that fucking her would kill her from all the various infections?

That she is so fragile she can die from breathing unfiltered air?

/rant
so but thats wrong she actually pulls up quite nicely if u choose to bang her, guess it would have created a level of moral dilemma somewhat too complicated for BW to put into one of their games.

anyway, i wasnt aware that ppl worshiped her somuch fair enuff thats just dumb/ just another more or less forgetable in a just above average game

Burntpopcarn

May 29, 2011
[

And while we're on it, why can't Femshep fuck Mordin Solus?

(because he's too fucking awesome, that's why)

/rant[/quote] I think you'll be able to romance him (and wrex or wreav, depending on who's alive still) in mass effect 3.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
xvbones said:
TopazFusion said:
xvbones said:
I must destroy the internet.
Someone already tried that.
There is a huge difference here.

See, my little sister is sweet and kind and beautiful.

SOPA's little sister was PIPA, who was ugly.

Very, very ugly.

Let that be a lesson to you, boys and girls.

If you want to be protected, you cannot be ugly.

evilneko said:
xvbones said:
And don't give me 'yeah but she's also pretty tough', because no she isn't, she's a goddamned engineer, her skillset isn't even useful unless you're going against robots.
Tali was one of my most valued party members in Mass Effect. And she isn't at all delicate on the battlefield, despite the whole can't live without her suit thing. Gameplay And Story Segregation at work there. Were it not for that I'd agree, she would be absolutely useless and may as well not even be available for missions.
I never strayed from Garrus, Wrex and Liandra.

And yes, of course, obviously Gameplay/Story Segregation is in full steam here, seeing as how the absolute last thing you want to do if the whole universe is lethal to you is get into a fucking gunfight.

Geo Da Sponge said:
xvbones said:
The one who has weathered a lifetime of harsh experiences and yet has come through it neither bitter nor jaded and can rip out a bulkhead with her mind plus also work a fucking assault rifle, that's the one I want.
What, no love for Jack?

Is it that she uses a shotgun rather than an assault rifle? I bet that's the problem here.
Jack is too much of a wounded bird. You see all those tattoos all over her body? They actually read Extremely High Maintenance in six different languages.

And also I do not trust Jack, she is clearly holding out on us.

First time you actually see her, the very first thing she does is obliterate an entire room full of heavy assault mechs and then that never happens, ever again.

I mean. I mean come on. Come on. How fucking long is the cooldown on her "Rape A Room Full Of Heavy Assault Mechs" skill? Because we have been spending months[ flying around the fucking galaxy here, that shit has got to be back up.

(also fuck shotguns.)

(also no baldies ell oh ell)
Seriously. If she can do that, why does she even need weapons?

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Im not sure why but i always imagined Tali having a squid face because of the mouthpiece on the helmet. I hate her anyways so not a big deal for me.

xvbones

Oct 29, 2009
samaugsch said:
Seriously. If she can do that, why does she even need weapons?
I throw my hands up into the air. Who the fuck knows. Who the fuck knows?

Why did she have any weapons training at all?

Eff Eff essss.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
I seriously just don't care about seeing Tali's face.

There's no way BioWare could possibly please everyone if they did it, either. All the Tali fanboys/girls, it would just turn into a clusterfuck. Too many people that want her to look like a cute human girl with slightly purple-tinted skin.

Itsthefuzz

Apr 1, 2010
This thread went from people telling the OP that the texture pack isn't official and now has turned into guys writing, literally, over 1200 words explaining why a video game race's Justicars are like police officers.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Itsthefuzz said:
This thread went from people telling the OP that the texture pack isn't official and now has turned into guys writing, literally, over 1200 words explaining why a video game race's Justicars are like police officers.
Indeed, and it's been an enjoyable read.

I've yet to play much Mass Effect but these Justicars sound like tyrants.