Mass effect gets hi-res tex- wait...zomg Tali's face!

nullplan

Nov 3, 2011
xvbones said:
And don't give me 'yeah but she's also pretty tough', because no she isn't, she's a goddamned engineer, her skillset isn't even useful unless you're going against robots.

She should be kept on the ship where she's safe and not wading through lasers and bullets and thus making herself into a monumental liability what with her extraordinary fragility.

/rant
Yeah, well, I found that at least on easy and medium difficulty it doesn't matter which characters I choose as shore party, because they are all pretty good at what they do, and what they do is shred enemies. Long-range, short-range, doesn't matter. You can go all strategical or tactical about it but in the end, none of my characters ever died (except for Mordin in the suicide mission, which was a shame).

Oh, and my own class was engineer, too.

On second thought, the supposed fragility of her never made it into the battle mechanics, did it? I mean, think about it: If her suit is all that protects her from getting allergies to the death then any hit to her should be lethal. Or something like poison damage. But then no-one would play with Tali, because she'd be constantly dying.

On third thought, Tali herself said that what Quarians are getting are really big allergies. Then why does the suit dispense anti-biotics (as said by that Quarian guy you meet in Tali's recruitment mission). If anything, they'd need anti-histamene (stuff that prevents allergies). Well, another plot hole... that plot is a net.

xvbones

Oct 29, 2009
Itsthefuzz said:
This thread went from people telling the OP that the texture pack isn't official and now has turned into guys writing, literally, over 1200 words explaining why a video game race's Justicars are like police officers.
Gentlemen.

The internet.

GoaThief said:
Indeed, and it's been an enjoyable read.

I've yet to play much Mass Effect but these Justicars sound like tyrants.
Well, a big part of it is that the Asari all have intrinsic biotic powers - imagine them like a race of fairly powerful telekinetics with some serious telepathic abilities.

They're all female and look like literally whatever you want them to look like, they seem to have the power to directly alter your perception of them at a subconscious level - everybody who looks at them thinks they look like a gorgeous female that strongly resembles their own race.

Also, they can rip open a bulkhead with their minds.

What I'm saying is that rogue Asari is significantly deadlier than just about any other race in the galaxy and Justicar are the way they are because the criminals they are hunting are ludicrously dangerous.

nullplan said:
xvbones said:
And don't give me 'yeah but she's also pretty tough', because no she isn't, she's a goddamned engineer, her skillset isn't even useful unless you're going against robots.

She should be kept on the ship where she's safe and not wading through lasers and bullets and thus making herself into a monumental liability what with her extraordinary fragility.

/rant
Yeah, well, I found that at least on easy and medium difficulty it doesn't matter which characters I choose as shore party, because they are all pretty good at what they do, and what they do is shred enemies. Long-range, short-range, doesn't matter. You can go all strategical or tactical about it but in the end, none of my characters ever died (except for Mordin in the suicide mission, which was a shame).
That is true, but it is also true that every single existing Bioware title is not especially challenging on anything less than Hard.

Also, send Mordin back to the ship with the survivors and he will survive, every time.

On second thought, the supposed fragility of her never made it into the battle mechanics, did it?
That was my point, yes, the game presents a frail character and then ignores her frailty for the combat sections.

On third thought, Tali herself said that what Quarians are getting are really big allergies. Then why does the suit dispense anti-biotics (as said by that Quarian guy you meet in Tali's recruitment mission). If anything, they'd need anti-histamene (stuff that prevents allergies). Well, another plot hole... that plot is a net.
Eh. Only so far as the massive gulf between story and gameplay.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
Tali is really of no interest too me, and this isn't an official mod, but that is nice work done. Looks much better, and Mass Effect is no bad looking game to start off.

Modders never cease to amaze me.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Irridium said:
Canadish said:
And I bring you Exhibit B:

All this is odd, since Bioware CAN make good faces. I mean, look at Jack. They managed to pull off a "crying face" with her without plunging her into the uncanny valley. And they even managed to pull of the "almost crying face" with her. Something I still believe they pulled off through wizardry.

Bioware can do faces. Guess they just need to stop trying to make the in-game characters look like their real-life counterparts.
As a 3D modeler I can let you know, you have NO idea how hard it is to resist the desire to follow your reference exactly, even if it looks uncanny as a result.

It's an issue of "damn it I followed the plans! why aren't the plans working! fuck it! submit"

Knife-28

Oct 10, 2009
xvbones said:
I bet Tali has Predator mouth.

Like six toothed flanges and a lot of webbing.

In ME3, she'll take off her mask and then she'll eat a baby. She won't even chew it. She will just suck down that entire baby.

And then I will laugh.
I laughed way to much at this comment. Heck, at this entire tread.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
GoaThief said:
Itsthefuzz said:
This thread went from people telling the OP that the texture pack isn't official and now has turned into guys writing, literally, over 1200 words explaining why a video game race's Justicars are like police officers.
Indeed, and it's been an enjoyable read.

I've yet to play much Mass Effect but these Justicars sound like tyrants.
then you are going to be super pissed when you find out what a "SPECTRE" is in that game LoL.

ThatLankyBastard

Aug 18, 2010
I'm an Alien-Girl kinda guy... I tried for Tali with my FemShep but ended up with Liara in ME1 (she was second choice anyways), tried for Tali in ME2 but ended up going after Liara with the DLC cuz you can't FUCKING romance Tali with a female for some FUCKING reason...

...so anyways when i go through ME3 in the 48 continuous hours I'm gonna play it after release date I'm hoping to romance Tali... and if I can't I'm going after Bioware~ "Seriously I've waited 3 damn games to do her guys!!! Get it together!!!"

...i think I had a point in mind when I started writing this... Oh yeah, the OP...

I'm gonna have to get this pack! Screw the waiting times, I wanna kick some Reaper but in HD!

"Assuming extremely textured control"