Mass Effect Movie: No Femshep, no Seth Green, Original Story.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Hello, it's me RatRace123, and as I occasionally do, I'm here to present you with some movie adaptation news filtered through much fanboy rage and bias.

Found this little tidbit of info:

http://kotaku.com/5842345/there-will-be-no-female-shepard-seth-green-or-video-game-stories-in-the-mass-effect-movie

Apparently, the Mass Effect movie will indeed star a Male Shepard, will feature an original story rather than adapting the plotline from the game; and perhaps most distressing of all, will not feature Seth Green as Joker. From what I gather, Joker will be in the film, but not played by Green.

This, for some reason, really pisses me off. Maybe it's just that the idea of a Mass Effect movie isn't something I'm too into anyway, but this casting decision just feels kinda wrong.
Is it because he doesn't look the part?

Yeah, totally don't see any resemblance there.

I know that a Mass Effect movie will probably end up doing, at least moderately well regardless of critical opinion...

But, word of mouth hype, especially for an adaption of a fan favored property, goes along way towards determining the overall success of the film.

It's still early in pre-production but they need to do something that will please the fanbase. Even if it's not entirely necessary. I can best equate it to casting Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime in the Transformers movies.
Did they need to do that? No, and they seemed to be able to recast all the other Autobots just fine, but throwing the fandom a bone like that definitely earned the film a lot of positive buzz.
The exact same kind of buzz that a potentially high profile project like Mass Effect needs.

It's already got a lot of things working against it:
-It's a game adaptation, which never rise beyond the level of "eh, 'salright."
-It stars Commander Shepard (The customizable player character in an open ended game) rather than working off of other ideas in the shared universe (of which there could potentially be an infinite amount)
-Specifically it stars Male Commander Shepard, which risks further alienating the 40 or so percent of the fanbase that prefers Femshep.
-And now, we know that Seth Green won't be reprising his role.

Like I said, it's still early, but there's not much here that looks all that appealing. They need some positive hype out there, and the easiest way to do that IMO, is in the casting.

I may be overreacting, in fact I am, and I'm nowhere near as pissed as my ranting may lead you to believe, but the whole situation still rubs me the wrong way.
Joker's a fairly important character and is one of the few characters who could realistically be portrayed in film by his voice actor, and to have him not just seems like a stupid desicion.

Any thoughts on this? Discuss.

Edit: The statistic for FemShep players is actually closer to 20%, but no one can deny that they aren't a damn dedicated 20%. My argument still stands, but this was a problem they knew they were going to have to face when they decided to use Shepard as the film's protagonist. Shepard's gender doesn't actually bother me, the inclusion of Shepard as the main character kind of does, but my rant is really more about the casting issue. If they must make it a story about Shepard, with Shepard's crew, at least have the correct casting.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Well this is going to suck.

Seriously, no Seth green? And male Shepard? Now I'm not going to claim to be a massive PR merchant here, but wouldn't having a femshep attract a lot of teenage guys to the movie. Having a extremely hot chick, who is also a total badass as the main character is going to sell a load more tickets than one with a boring dude who looks like a shaved gorilla, and you never know, they could do Femshep well, and actually make a strong female character..... yeah, not much hope there. Femshep will probably have a fan-service shower scene just for the hell of it.

And Joker will loose most of his geek-cred, character and humour if you give it to anyone but Seth Green.

Oh, and the if Yvonne Strahovki turns up as Miranda wearing the uniform she does in the game, I'm sold, no matter how shit the movie is.

YesConsiderably

Jul 9, 2010
So... what... it should feature a female Shepard and risk alienating the 60 percent of the fanbase that prefers him?

Some of the most self entitled gamers i've had the displeasure of dealing with are ardent femshep fans.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
YesConsiderably said:
So... what... it should feature a female Shepard and risk alienating the 60 percent of the fanbase that prefers him?

Some of the most self entitled gamers i've had the displeasure of dealing with are ardent femshep fans.
Eh, I'm not too pissed about Shepard's gender, and everybody knows that's a decision that they're gonna end up having to shoot themselves in the foot over one way or the other.
I still think the film shouldn't have featured Shepard at all, to be honest. It would eliminate that problem entirely.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
In related news, they won't be casting Yvonne Strahovski because she doesn't look the part for Miranda.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
I disagree about game adaptions never rising beyond the level of "eh, 'salright." The "Prince of Persia" movie was awesome.

MaleShepard was the icon on the first and second games. So, no surprise there. Did the first Mass Effect even have an option to be female?

An original story would work better than either game story: there are enough options that someone in the fanbase would be really ticked off.

Dec 14, 2009
I can see something...

It's hazy, I can't quite make it out, I... I think the fail is in such huge quantities, that its physical form is unascertainable by the human eye.

(The Seth Green/Joker issue, not the gender issue)

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
If they're not following the game story, they should have worked from the prequel novel. I think that it would make a great movie itself. It's pretty fast-paced, doesn't require familiarity with the games, and has a lot of action. It's like a futuristic James Bond story with a younger David Anderson as the main character.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I will watch it as long as they keep the line "Because it's a big. stupid. jellyfish."

Kidding aside, eh... I find it hard to be interested in the prospect of an ME movie. For a start it's not really that cinematic - ME to me feels more like a mini series. Indeed, playing the first game reminded me of nothing so much as Babylon 5 - lots of talky aliens; heavy emphasis on politics and personal interaction - presented with a sci-fi aesthetic that was closer to Flash Gordon than Alien.

There are some current gen games that, for better or worse, you can easily envisage making the jump to the big screen, mainly because they already look like trailers for a summer blockbuster. Mass Effect, for me, isn't one of those.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
I would have liked an original story in the same universe. So, yeah. Go FemShep.

Apr 28, 2008
RatRace123 said:
-Specifically it stars Male Commander Shepard, which risks further alienating the 40 or so percent of the fanbase that prefers Femshep.
Actually, according to the stats Bioware has; very, very few people actually play as Femshep.

In fact, about only 20% of the playerbase plays as Femshep.

http://www.destructoid.com/mass-effect-2-player-choice-statistics-are-surprising-188362.phtml

Granted that is a bit old, and doesn't take into account PS3 players, but still. Femshep players are way in the minority.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
With a fully-customizable protagonist and a mutable story, Mass Effect is meant to be a video game, not a film. Even putting aside affection for the franchise and belief in games as a different method of storytelling to films, the whole thing is pointless for everybody involved because it's unlikely to produce either a) a good film or b) a good profit.

The only reason to make this is because for some reason people see getting made into a film as "big break" for a game or as being somehow more legit. Ehhh...no. Trying to make a game into a film is akin to Shaquille O'Neill's attempts to break into acting.

Fuck it. I'm more annoyed about this than I should be, considering that the chances of it ever reaching cinemas are pretty slim.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
RatRace123 said:
I still think the film shouldn't have featured Shepard at all, to be honest.
I'm going to agree with this 100%.

Bioware said they were going to carry on the Mass Effect universe without Shepard once ME3 was out of the way and this, to me, could have been the perfect time to branch out and show us more of that universe from a different viewpoint.

I will have to agree with the Seth Green argument aswell. He's an incredibly memorable character from the game having played a big part in both so far and I assume will carry on through 3. Seth also has a pretty recognisable voice and pretty much looks like Joker. It just won't be right.

No matter how good the actual film is it won't live up to the fans expectations. Shepard is different to nearly every player. They all have their own views on what Shep should look/act/sit on the toilet like and no matter who plays him in the movie it won't live up to what people want.

And, as you said at the start, it's not often we see a game made into a movie and see it done well.

Ravnican

Jul 19, 2010
Scow2 said:
I disagree about game adaptions never rising beyond the level of "eh, 'salright." The "Prince of Persia" movie was awesome.

MaleShepard was the icon on the first and second games. So, no surprise there. Did the first Mass Effect even have an option to be female?

An original story would work better than either game story: there are enough options that someone in the fanbase would be really ticked off.
Of course it did, the only game franchise that got away with that change is Saints Row (because the second was awesome).

OT: I knew it was going to kick the games in the face so no real surprises here, but damn this is going to suck. Worst of all, I'm probably going to go watch it.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
All right! Another video game-based movie that I will care absolutely nothing about!

It must be my fucking birthday. ¬__¬

Phalene

Oct 18, 2007
If they're REALLY being true to the source material they need to make two movies, one featuring a female lead and one a male one. ;)

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
How fuckin' stupid does an entire movie industry have to be to repeat same mistakes over and over again? Every game to movie adaptation sucked because they didn't listen to fans of the original material. Is it that hard to listen to an already HUGE fanbase and make something that has a potential to earn a lot of money?
The only game to movie adaptation that was any good was Prince of Persia, and only because Ubisoft didn't let those morons ruin it completely. But I doubt EA would care that much.

And why wouldn't they cast Seth Green? He's a well known actor, everybody loves him, and he is Joker in the game. There is no reason not to cast him.