Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
Souplex said:
Mass effect:
Story is good.
You don't get to play as a Krogan.
Story is really damn good.
Weapons are boring and generic.
The game is long so if you like it there is a lot of it.
RPG elements are shallow.
Did I mention how good the story is?
You forgot to mention the greatest female alien to ever be created.
OP: Its well worth 20 bucks, I've gotten more gameplay value out of ME than many other more expensive games I've bought.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Well I'm playing it right now, for the eighth time, and I'm still into if not just for the story, so if you like a really, really good story it's worth the twenty

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
I would heartily recommend Mass Effect. Apart from some minor visual glitches, some dubious AI and an occasionally frustrating inventory menu system, it's a great game. Quite possibly my favourite next-gen game.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
I'll be brief - it's awesome.

It's not perfect, but it ranks as the single best gaming experience I've ever had, and I still play the hell out of that game. If you're into some tactical combat, engaging characters, and a bloody good story, there's no reason not to pick it up.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
RebelRising said:
I'll be brief - it's awesome.

It's not perfect, but it ranks as the single best gaming experience I've ever had, and I still play the hell out of that game. If you're into some tactical combat, engaging characters, and a bloody good story, there's no reason not to pick it up.
This. It's not flawless by any measure, but damn it I love this game. January can't come fast enough.

HeySeansOnline

Apr 17, 2009
For 20 your getting amazing story, with a nice free flow combat system, AI o sfairly meh, but you can control your team, insane and harcore difficulties require smart choice and good timing, delicate and tough choices develop not only story but you own personal though, I payed 40 and I still love it, even if you stop after a huge hours on top of hours play through, you'll come back now and then, plus with ME 2 coming put which will eb even better you'llneed a character to transfer if you want to start out with a good level guy.

Rassan

Feb 21, 2009
I find the fighting of the game medicore and hilarious. I always giggle when you sprint at 50 mph (50 mph man?) and rush in an enemies face just to crush them with my utter supremacy!
The story is good, however.

Jan 23, 2009
It's very different to KoTor, and older Bioware stuff.

Still a very good game. Some parts really get you emotionally involved. Very Very well written game.

HOWEVER. I'm a diehard PC guy, and honestly - this was the first game I ever wanted to play on a console in my living room on a BIG screen. (I didnt tho)

WolfMage

May 19, 2008
Get it for $14 like I did, and get it for a console.
Better that way, I'd say.

But yes, amazing story, like, "Holy shit, I just spent the last three hours talking to unimportant NPCs, just to learn more of the lore!" good.
And the combat is rather fun, great characters, good enough weapons, and astonishing graphics.

GET IT.
NOW.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
NeonFuneral said:
Okay sweet, thanks for the quick response. On another note have any of you guys tried torchlight? That's another game got my attention
theres a review of it on the front page, just to tell ya :).

and by the way, Welcome to The Escapist.

OT: i havent played Mass Effect, but since many people has dry humped it, i guess its good.

NBSRDan

Aug 15, 2009
Second most boring game ever made.

But the story is well worth watching on YouTube.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
Mass effect is like the mirror of borderlands.

On one side you got more involved story and less combat and your team can either kill everything like immortal gods or suck like tots with rifles. Based around story... everything has a story.

On the other-side you got less involved story and tons more combat and you only have a team if you multiplay. Based totally around loot.

Torchlight.... LOOT! Diablo style!

NeonFuneral

Nov 2, 2009
Alright! Wow I didn't know this topic would generate so many responses. Thanks for all the feedback. I'll definitely be looking into buying it. I need something that has a good plot. I just beat final fantasy 4 ds and the ending was very.......... predictable. By the way NeonBob, I love your avatar

Mr.Black

Oct 27, 2009
Mass Effect has an amazing story, and it's great how your decisions easily affect the people around you. Combat is a little lacking, but you can let that slide because everything else is done right.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
NeonFuneral said:
Greetings! I'm new to the website and I'm wanting to get a few opinions on Mass Effect. A friend and I were discussing Mass Effect and he said he didn't like it. I've been intrigued by Mass Effect, but I don't know if I want to pay the 20 dollars on steam to play it. Is it just a copy of KOTOR? Any feedback would be great.
If you own a 360 I say rent it first. I know the control scheme will be different but it should let you make an accurate decision on the story, RPG elements, and combat.

I mean we may help in influencing your decision to buy or not to buy but in the end the only one who can make an accurate decision of if you like the game or not is you.