Mass shooting in Main

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

I dunno bout you guys, but if I knew a firearms coach was starting to hear voices in his head, I think I'd have advised someone to keep him away from guns.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Look at that: another Mass shooter with mental problems leaning into the Ultra Right and killing for people who don't give a crap about him nor the lives he destroyed. Once again, I have no sympathy for him. And I have even less sympathy for the ones that knew something was wrong with him, but chose not to keep guns away from him nor have him seek actual help. And yet again nobody acted on his threats, until it was way too late to matter. Like fucking clockwork.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Today. More below.

I'm sure many well meaning people institute gun control but a Hitler can then take advantage of it. I doubt they made it easier for Jews to get guns in 1938. EDIT: https://wyoleg.gov/InterimCommittee/2019/01-201910313-04Handout.pdf
At what pace the descent can happen is increasingly unclear. We see, for instance, Canada descending into a Fascist totalitarian Hellscape in which people are losing their rights as their "leader" speaks of how much he is against people protesting to actually change things. Will there be death camps and killing fields in their very near future? How far off? And gun control will help the state do this to its people.
It can happen incredibly fast. Here in the USA we knew things would be bad if Biden replaced Trump but this bad? WW3? People getting fired from private sector jobs for not taking the clot shot? Intelligence agents telling private companies to censure wrong think? And you've got "Senile Hitler" telling us how unimportant gun and speech rights are? I feel like we're sinking fast. Who knew it could happen so quickly.
Conservative brain rot on full display.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Yeah, because who needs to talk about events currently happening in your own country? /s

If you don't want to talk about the mass shooting in Maine, you're free to not read anything and move on. No one is putting a gun on your head to come to the thread and post paranoid memes that makes your position look bad.
I think it is important to know how other people think. Sometimes I find out I'm wrong. Sometimes I learn something people think but is misleading and it's important to know that. For instance @Silvanus said something I'd not heard before: that the Nazi's actually liberalized gun control. After further review, I find not for Jews they didn't then they rounded them up and you know.

It's said a life (or 22) matters but a million, 6 million, 100 million? They're statistics.
Conservative brain rot on full display.
Head in the sand on full display.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
I think it is important to know how other people think. Sometimes I find out I'm wrong. Sometimes I learn something people think but is misleading and it's important to know that. For instance @Silvanus said something I'd not heard before: that the Nazi's actually liberalized gun control. After further review, I find not for Jews they didn't then they rounded them up and you know.

It's said a life (or 22) matters but a million, 6 million, 100 million? They're statistics.

Head in the sand on full display.
Fucking disgusting. Concerned about your guns and your paranoid hero fantasies of mowing down the dirty brown people invading by the planeload to rape and pillage, which ISNT ACTUALLY HAPPENING, but you pray for it every night.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Fucking disgusting. Concerned about your guns and your paranoid hero fantasies of mowing down the dirty brown people invading by the planeload to rape and pillage, which ISNT ACTUALLY HAPPENING, but you pray for it every night.
And no one could believe the Jews were being murdered. They were just placed in detainment camps. And the USSR? US reporter for the New York Times won a Pulitzer for telling us how awesome it was as my people were robbed by the regime, stripped of all their food and left to starve to death by the millions. Domino theory? Paranoia! And then Pol Pot murdered about 1 in 3 of his own citizens.

Being obedient, compliant and willfully blind isn't honorable. It is cowardice. And always remember: you cannot comply your way out of tyranny.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Everytime one of these happens there is an uproar over gun control. Personally I think the cat is out of the bag, pandora's box has been opening, there are too many guns and too many ways people can get them for any level of government ban to be effective in their removal.

If anything perhaps we should be calling for more mental health reform. Because America clearly has an issue with crazy mental problems being too widespread and not enough people getting treatment. Too often people with mental issues are discarding and left to let those issues become worse and worse.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I dunno bout you guys, but if I knew a firearms coach was starting to hear voices in his head, I think I'd have advised someone to keep him away from guns.
On one hand yeah, but on the other then its another thing like with pilots not getting psychiatric help since it would put them at risk for losing their ability to fly/have guns.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Everytime one of these happens there is an uproar over gun control. Personally I think the cat is out of the bag, pandora's box has been opening, there are too many guns and too many ways people can get them for any level of government ban to be effective in their removal.

If anything perhaps we should be calling for more mental health reform. Because America clearly has an issue with crazy mental problems being too widespread and not enough people getting treatment. Too often people with mental issues are discarding and left to let those issues become worse and worse.
I can tell you exactly how to do something about it. Democrat's have to become more progun. They need to abandon gun control and start really pushing firearm education and responsibility. They need to make the republicans "no infringement on gun rights" look more insane then it is. Which they would because right now republicans want to do anything other then agree with democrats, so they would either have to go harder on the guns for all (hard to do), or maybe flip into, more gun restrictions(probably on minorities but its something).

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

I suppose we could always take the Canadian approach...

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Was that cat ever in the bag in the first place?
CriticalGaming said:
Leaving aside that the percentage of mass shootings related to mental issues is less than 25% (or 5% if you count only psychotic illnesses), there are several hurdles to overcome too, from systemic (health care cost and accessibility) to social (peer pressure to not seek for mental health aid), that a big chunk of the same crowd against gun control are also opposed to fix.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Sounds like a good idea in general but: While most mass shooters do fall somewhere on the spectrum of mental illness, defined broadly, that’s merely a testament to how common mental illness is.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
They need to abandon gun control and start really pushing firearm education and responsibility
I mean that could also be good. Best way to stop a crazy person with a gun, is a sane person with a gun sort of thing. You educate more and more people and it opens more people to be able to protect themselves could save lives potentially. I dunno.

, more gun restrictions
My fear with higher restrictions, and this is what I was eluding to originally, is that if someone wants to get ahold of a gun....they'll do it especially if they are determined enough to do something like this off. The only difference is that it'll be an illegal or stolen weapon. So higher regulations aren't really an answer. I do think that legal purchasing could be a bit more strict, for example if you've had a history of mental issues, or actually if your credit score sucks then you shouldn't be able to buy a gun. Mental issues obviously, and then being broke is a red flag because if you can't be responsible with money, how can you be responsible with a firearm? Maybe not the credit thing. But still the point stands that we can be stricter with the rules, but again at the same time people will break the rules anyway so who knows.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I mean that could also be good. Best way to stop a crazy person with a gun, is a sane person with a gun sort of thing. You educate more and more people and it opens more people to be able to protect themselves could save lives potentially. I dunno.

My fear with higher restrictions, and this is what I was eluding to originally, is that if someone wants to get ahold of a gun....they'll do it especially if they are determined enough to do something like this off. The only difference is that it'll be an illegal or stolen weapon. So higher regulations aren't really an answer. I do think that legal purchasing could be a bit more strict, for example if you've had a history of mental issues, or actually if your credit score sucks then you shouldn't be able to buy a gun. Mental issues obviously, and then being broke is a red flag because if you can't be responsible with money, how can you be responsible with a firearm? Maybe not the credit thing. But still the point stands that we can be stricter with the rules, but again at the same time people will break the rules anyway so who knows.
The most common sense approach is that everyone who wants a gun has to take a bullet in the foot or the arm or something to make sure they know what it is they're getting into.

The gun problem in America appears to be intractable, but it's not a mental health issue or an education issue, it's a "you've fucked it every time you should have tried to deal with it" issue. And it probably is too late now so, shit, I guess just cross your fingers and hope for the best.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Was that cat ever in the bag in the first place?
i dunno, when was the first random mass shooting? Maybe right after the implimentation of the welfare state and the destruction of the nuclear family. Once the family got broken apart, mental health, behavioral issues, lower test scores, all these things in children began to shoot up. We are aware of the punk who is just desperate for daddy's love, well...I dunno I think that might have been the beginning of it.

Leaving aside that the percentage of mass shootings related to mental issues is less than 25% (or 5% if you count only psychotic illnesses), there are several hurdles to overcome too, from systemic (health care cost and accessibility) to social (peer pressure to not seek for mental health aid), that a big chunk of the same crowd against gun control are also opposed to fix.
Again my point comes down to the breakdown of the traditional family. Where there is less structure in a child's life, so they don't respond to bullying in healthy ways, or they have no real parent coaching to sit them down and help them cope. And even if they dont resort to violence as children you end up with an maladjusted adult with extreme viewpoints and prejudices because they seek something to blame and something to place their internal hate on.

Let me ask you guys this, do you think families are better off today than they were in the 1950's? When 1 person's income could support a whole family and mom got to stay up and keep the house together and be there for the children. I think people today drastically underestimate the power of having a parent always available is to a child.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The most common sense approach is that everyone who wants a gun has to take a bullet in the foot or the arm or something to make sure they know what it is they're getting into.
Nice idea but maybe just put them in body armor and make them take a couple rounds into it. You don't want to risk crippling someone but you do want to have them feel the impact of the bullet hitting them and the fear of having someone point and shoot at you. Could work.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

You can not change the Second Amendment! and don't look up what the word "amendment" means because it totally destroys my argument!

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Nice idea but maybe just put them in body armor and make them take a couple rounds into it. You don't want to risk crippling someone but you do want to have them feel the impact of the bullet hitting them and the fear of having someone point and shoot at you. Could work.
Chris Rock had the solution a couple of decades ago: