Massive Minecraft bug, help needed

Solytus

Sep 2, 2008
After the 1.6.6 update, minecraft has begun crashing on an infuriating basis. Basically, whenever the game saves (opening inventory, pausing, ect.) The game will go to a brown screen that says "Saving chunks" then black screen and crash. So far, the only way to circumvent this that I've found is to reinstall the client every time I play, and I'd like a more realistic/less stupid solution. Can anyone help?

BMX670

Nov 17, 2009
The world level file you are trying to load is probably corrupted. This might have happened if you used mods or extensive NBTEdit on the map in a previous version of Minecraft. try going to the level you want to use in your .minecraft folder and deleting level.dat, then renaming level.dat_old to level.dat This may revert your world file to a previous state, but at least you won't have to forget about it entirely. If you had modded blocks in the level, however, you will either have to download MCEdit and use it to delete any blocks that appear pink within the world, start over with a new one, or re-download all of those same mods for 1.6.6 and hope that their blockID's havent been changed. Personally, I would just MCEdit any stuff from that world you really like into a new one.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Is this vanilla Minecraft, or modded Minecraft?

Anywhoz, go to your .minecraft file (in Windows at least, Start Bar > Run > %appdata% in Run bar) what I do is back up your worlds (copy them into a different folder outside the .minecraft file), delete the .minecraft file (which will remove any statistics, texture packs, or mods that Minecraft file has), and launch the client again to redownload a fresh .minecraft, restore your worlds, and see what happens.

Also, does the problem continue when you play in the browser?

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Doesn't do that for me. BMX670 is probably right about the level corruption thing, unless you have been using mods.

Solytus

Sep 2, 2008
Mm, I should have been more specific about my scenario, I'm running vanilla minecraft, and I know that its not the save file, because the same error occurs in every save I make. Also interesting, it appears that if i play for about 1 in-game day/night cycle without making the game save, it will work fine from then on until I quit the game.

darkfire613

Jun 26, 2009
Did you have any mods installed? I was having the same issue because of some items from a mod I had in a chest, whenever I opened the chest it would say "saving chunks" and then crash. I fixed it by deleting the chest with MCEdit. If you don't have mods, I have no idea.

Gnifle

May 30, 2011
I'm getting the same problem when using rails (all 3 types), and it happens on any world i make as well... Just gets the brown screen saying "saving chunk" (no loading/saving bar) and then crashes into black screen. I've been plying 1.6.6 for a few weeks now, but the issue has just started today!

Tried on the online version as well, and it gives me the same result, also causing me not to be able to read the error report i get in there... I've tried backing up my world and deleting all Minecraft, and then re-installing... Yet it still happens, som i'm kinda stuck...

So how the heck are we going to keep playing if we can't play it fully?

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
I have a bug with the maps i craft them but the object itself doesn't show up in the crafted item box or inventory though if you mouse over the empty looking square it'll say the maps there.

I even removed all traces of it from my system and re-downloaded the client to no avail.