Master Chief Goes to Midgar

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Master Chief Goes to Midgar

Ever wondered what Halo would be like if it ditched the fast-paced run-and-gun action for the turn-based world of Final Fantasy? No? Too bad, because here's a fan-made video of what the unholy meeting of East and West might possibly look like.

The full video clocks in at just over 5 minutes, which is a tad too long for just one battle scene (though it might not be too out of place in some turn-based games). On the plus side, you really only need to watch the first minute or so to get the general gist of the thing.

The creators have done a pretty good job at interpreting the standard Final Fantasy conventions within the Halo 3 game world - I particularly like how they pull off Black-Mage-a-la-Arbiter - but the whole thing just comes off as slightly silly. Okay, very silly. Perhaps Halo was never meant to be a JRPG.

Besides, Cloud Strife's Eiffel-Tower-hairstyle would never fit inside a standard-issue SPARTAN helmet anyway.

(Via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5151123/if-halo-played-like-final-fantasy-it-would-look-like-this])

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Not nearly as horrendous as I had originally anticipated. Was a bit on the long side, though.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Do people seriously think anyone would ever play a turn based game if the battles took this long? Honestly, it just points out the fact that anything that isn't twitch-tastic and full of explosions every second is way to much for the standard Severly ADD Afflicted Halo Player.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
It was alright. Personally though, I just have one question. Is Cortana more like Tifa or Aeris? For that matter, how about Miranda Keyes?

(Sgt Johnson would be the perfect Barret though, and I think he'd definitely appreciate the gun for an arm)

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
PedroSteckecilo said:
Do people seriously think anyone would ever play a turn based game if the battles took this long? Honestly, it's just points out the fact that anything that isn't twitch-tastic and full of explosions every second is way to much for the standard Severly ADD Afflicted Halo Player.
Three standard soldiers, and a small tank with a two-turn attack? Seems like a fairly standard length for a miniboss battle.

I'd probably play this, to be honest.

Trivun said:
It was alright. Personally though, I just have one question. Is Cortana more like Tifa or Aeris? For that matter, how about Miranda Keyes?
I imagine each Spartan character would have an AI slot in the equipment screen for various stat bonuses. Other characters would swap them out like an accessory, while you would presumably feed Cortana special items to improve the bonuses she gives.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Break said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
Do people seriously think anyone would ever play a turn based game if the battles took this long? Honestly, it's just points out the fact that anything that isn't twitch-tastic and full of explosions every second is way to much for the standard Severly ADD Afflicted Halo Player.
Three standard soldiers, and a small tank with a two-turn attack? Seems like a fairly standard length for a miniboss battle.

I'd probably play this, to be honest.
What I mean is how long the animations take and how slow the characters move. In most Post FFVII/FFVIII turn based games battle animations are fairly quick or skippable. I note they're also modelling it after FFX's battle system, where you could always enter commands while animations were occuring.

Though I suppose they're making it deliberately slower for the sake of satire.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
I thought it was humorous. I think I'd actually be willing to play a Halo RPG if they ever were to make one.

Jul 9, 2008
That was actually really funny to me. I liked it for the same reason I like machinima in general-using things that were put into the game for something very far off from what they were intended, like the magic being the grenades.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Heal!! Why won't you HEAL? That was great. I would have liked to see the victory dance without the reward box taking up most of the screen though.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
It was a well done satire, I agree with PedroSteckecilo though, its slowed down severely. Maybe if the characters had jumped to do their attacks it would have felt more Final Fantasy-esque. As it stands it was a well put together satire on the pacing of JRPGs regardless of whether or not the statements made are true.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
It had it's moment, adding x-box live style voice chat too it could be amusing. "OMG cast heal noob we are dying!!!!" and remove 1-2 of the jokes trying to emulate Final Fantasy abilities. Overall I enjoyed it though, it's a fun silly concept.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
I...

I'm not sure.

I'm not sure if that is the funniest thing I've seen all week, or if the geeks who did that need to be castrated for the good of the species. Possibly neither, probably both.

And from a JRPG player's need to nitpick, I have never seen a Final Fantasy yet where NPCs have been able to use phoenix downs (not counting 11, don't know there, won't touch 11 with a 10' nailbat).
You'll occasionally run into a "Reviving" enemy though, they just rarely use "Items" and it's more often a spell of some sort.