Math: What do you think is necessary in order to become good at math?

CincoDeMayo

Dec 17, 2008
rmboike0624 said:
It has a lot to do with attitude and whether your teacher is great or plain bonkers.( My algebra teacher bit someone)
That's an interesting way of educating.
My teacher was kinda bonkers as well, but she didn't bite anyone though. She was just bad at explaining in a way that made any sense.

(which I think is worse, she could've bitten me and given me an A instead of teaching lousy and giving me an F).

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
ostro-whiskey said:
Maths is only interesting if it is practically usefull.

So you should probably punch Einstein and Steven Hawking in the face for all their quantum bullshit.
Yeah, because lasers, nuclear power and GPS systems are all usless.

Acier

Nov 5, 2009
Basic math : absolutely necessary

Higher levels, not very much, most people can get away with not knowing them.
Also it depends on the math on how much people like it. For instance, I LOVE algebra and Calculus (calc mostly) but I hate Trig and geometry. I know people who are the exact opposite.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
CrysisMcGee said:
I'm great at regular math. Can do it all in my head. Never had a problem with it. Just use it a lot, memorize as much as you can.

But...I HATE ALGEBRA. And I doubt I will ever learn it.
That's funny. Algebra is the only thing I can remotely manage of math

Captain Blackout

Feb 17, 2009
Lemeza said:
Captain Blackout said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Why do you call it math? It's maths, as in mathematics.
Because not everyone is from Europe and uses the same terms. Expand your vision, and maybe even your math(s) will get better.
Not everyone uses the same terms but in the case of maths, it is wrong grammatically to say 'math' as 'mathmatics' is plural and last time I checked, abbreviating words doesn't allow you to change them from plural to singular.
When I was in school no one, absolutely no one, called it 'maths'. It was always math or math class. Terms don't always translate over the same way from one culture to another, and English has a lot of idiosyncrasies. Here's an example, more extreme, but should show the point. Hoi Polloi means 'the commonfolk'. Al from Arabic(I think) is 'the' but no one says the cohol or the chemy, nor do they say I drank all alcohol if they mean all the alcohol. Hoi Polloi is always used as 'the hoi polloi', and we can discuss the alchemy involved in a belief system. The bottom line: All three are redundant but that's part of the language. Language does not always follow precise rules. Some languages are more formal than others in this respect (I believe the Asian languages qualify) but English is an unholy disaster when it comes to rule breaking. Math is perfectly acceptable in the US.

CincoDeMayo

Dec 17, 2008
Captain Blackout said:
Lemeza said:
Captain Blackout said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Because not everyone is from Europe and uses the same terms. Expand your vision, and maybe even your math(s) will get better.
Not everyone uses the same terms but in the case of maths, it is wrong grammatically to say 'math' as 'mathmatics' is plural and last time I checked, abbreviating words doesn't allow you to change them from plural to singular.
When I was in school no one, absolutely no one, called it 'maths'. It was always math or math class. Terms don't always translate over the same way from one culture to another, and English has a lot of idiosyncrasies. Here's an example, more extreme, but should show the point. Hoi Polloi means 'the commonfolk'. Al from Arabic(I think) is 'the' but no one says the cohol or the chemy, nor do they say I drank all alcohol if they mean all the alcohol. Hoi Polloi is always used as 'the hoi polloi', and we can discuss the alchemy involved in a belief system. The bottom line: All three are redundant but that's part of the language. Language does not always follow precise rules. Some languages are more formal than others in this respect (I believe the Asian languages qualify) but English is an unholy disaster when it comes to rule breaking. Math is perfectly acceptable in the US.
I hate to break it to you both but this grammar police stuff is not what I (the OP) intended with this thread. I might have spelled it wrong, and I apologize for only being 97% awesome but hey, that's me, take it or leave it.

I would much rather read about your studying methods and such, as it is the main purpose of the thread.

Cheers!

Captain Blackout

Feb 17, 2009
CincoDeMayo said:
Captain Blackout said:
Lemeza said:
Captain Blackout said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I hate to break it to you both but this grammar police stuff is not what I (the OP) intended with this thread. I might have spelled it wrong, and I apologize for only being 97% awesome but hey, that's me, take it or leave it.

I would much rather read about your studying methods and such, as it is the main purpose of the thread.

Cheers!
So my lesson in cultural exchange isn't useful for anyone here, in a thread devoted to exchanging needed ideas? Very well. Go back to my first post. Expand your vision, and maybe even your math skills will get better. A practice one teacher taught me was to imagine a solid cube, all red on the outside surface, all white on the inside, like an apple. Now, imagine cutting the cube 6 six times, so that it looks a bit like a monochrome rubix cube. Now, in your head, imagine counting in your head how many pieces total you have. Each piece will be a smaller cube. Then imagine what each piece looks like: Each will have at least some white sides. Look at each piece in your head and count the white sides and red sides. Find the all white piece, and put all the other pieces in their place around it. All in your head. Practice this meditation until you master it. Then find another mental exam that requires math and imagination and work at it. Slowly your brain will become better at visualizing abstracts. That, and practice problems from each lesson in math class, with a tutor if needed, until you can perform the calculations naturally.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
I just fail at it, I can't understand math beyond basic arthmictic. Its just so black and white.