Matrix Online Goes Out With Style

Asymptote Angel

Feb 6, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
shadowgaunt said:
Wasn't there another MMO that did something like this not too long ago?
That would be Tabula Rasa.

The idea was unstoppable aliens would attack and wipe everyone out. It was something of a boob though as the unstoppable alien invasion was in fact beaten back by the players, which was awesome.
The game ended anyway, it just so happened that it got to go out on an emphatic victory rather than the Doomsday device.
That's the coolest thing I've heard in a while.

As for MXO, rest in peace. Kudos to the devs for going out with a bang.

Loverrr

Aug 5, 2009
Out with style? Oh you mean SOE style. For those of you fortunate and unfortunate enough to have not played MxO let me explain SOE style. SOE style is acquiring a game, getting rid of live events, doing one combat revamp and calling in CR 2.0, not listening to their players who repeatedly offered suggestions and even offered to run live events and write storylines and basically run the game while paying $15/month because no content was ever added, just recycled, canceling the game after removing all devs from it and letting it die slowly, announcing the end of the game, disallowing players to log into the game because they decided players subbing after the internal date they set to allow them to which they had not announced to the players, trying to smooth that fiasco over by giving us free game time to other SOE games no one wants to play, banning players for any little thing in the last days, silencing players who voiced their discontent, unbanning players who should have stayed banned and then planning of all things a dance party with meatwad finish. I spent hours waiting for the final battle to begin because in MxO, that's how it should end, an epic battle of astronomical proportions. But no, it went out with a whimper, not a bang. You saw the video of the finale. That was how MxO was EVERY day minus the meatwadding. That night, anyone who expressed frustration with SOE was silenced but I had the joy of seeing players spam racial slurs over and over with no silencing. Please take it from all of us who played MxO, avoid SOE like the plague that it is.

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
Mind you they did this while their other MMO's are burning to the ground.

Most of their devs have quit and the rest are looking to leave as soon as they can find another job.

Evil the White

Apr 16, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
shadowgaunt said:
Wasn't there another MMO that did something like this not too long ago?
That would be Tabula Rasa.

The idea was unstoppable aliens would attack and wipe everyone out. It was something of a boob though as the unstoppable alien invasion was in fact beaten back by the players, which was awesome.
The game ended anyway, it just so happened that it got to go out on an emphatic victory rather than the Doomsday device.
Epic fail on the part of the developers.

Mind at least it makes the end of the game memorable.

XSA37

Aug 5, 2009
Finally, an MMO that knows how to do it. I wish I had witnessed it though, sounds like it would have been pretty cool, unlike the "world" events in WoW.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
Now If only SWG would do somthing like this to make room for the new SW MMO. I can see it now: A massive deathwatch/Dark jedi invasion. I would poobably just hide in my house and lock/baracade the doors tho :p

toapat

Mar 28, 2009
HardRockSamurai said:
That's actually pretty cool. More MMOs should do this kind of thing (I'm thinking of a good April Fools joke for WOW subscribers.)

PS- Are there any more pictures of the event?
that would be cool, but WoW is going to be undeniable continued into Warcraft 4 (WoW 2 isnt going to be made). thus some armageddon would end up both screwing with the continuity and killing the playerbase. other games that Blizzard will make such as the SC MMO will be interesting if they make it so the Xel'Naga can destroy stars and thus allow for a temporary armageddon

mhitman

Sep 10, 2008
gotta say it was a great idea

its sad, i will always mourn when a mmo is ended
they are the only kind of game that can actually die

confessor

Aug 2, 2009
Jeronus
I find it wierd that a company would turn its failure into something that people can enjoy. Most companies wouldn't waste anymore time or money on a dying project. It is like putting firecrackers on a dying plant. It may seem entertaining but from a business standpoint it is a waste of firecrackers.
Hey. Nothing is a waste of firecrackers.
But agreeing with previous comments, if they had the imagination for the ending you've got wonder where they we're in between.

PhantomCritic

May 9, 2009
Hold a sec, there was a Matrix online? Can't believed I missed that. Must've been hellva thing to witness though.

PhantomCritic

May 9, 2009
LilGherkin said:
Wonder what WoW is going to look like when it's time comes.
It'll probably just end...along with a high amount of suicides that follow quickly after, I know I've been ninja'd on this idea but still, in all seriousness though WoW isn't going anywhere for a LONG time, as long as MMOs are around it will be too, and I hate saying this seeing that I hate WoW with every ounce of my body.

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
Is there any video footage of this on youtube or whatever?

It sounds pretty cool. Would have liked to have seen it, despite never having seen the actual MMO.