Matt Ryan's Constantine Returns On Arrow Season 4

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Matt Ryan's Constantine Returns On Arrow Season 4

Matt Ryan's Constantine will see another day, this time as a part of Arrow's DC universe on The CW.

It had a slow start, but I'll admit, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/reviews/12986-Constantine-Season-1-Finale-Review-Waiting-For-The-Man>I became rather fond TV's Constantine in the end. Based on the infamous DC Comics magician, Constantine followed the exploits of a blue collar "exorcist, demonologist, and master of the dark arts" as he fought a rising darkness that spread across the United States. <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/constantine%2C+review>Despite only running for a half-season on NBC the show found a loyal following, thanks largely to a strong performance from actor Matt Ryan. Fans have eagerly awaited a second season since, but now The CW has announced the next best thing: Matt Ryan's Constantine is joining DC's TV universe, where he'll guest star in an upcoming episode of Arrow.

"We are thrilled to have Matt Ryan reprise the role of John Constantine on an upcoming episode of Arrow," Arrow executive producer Marc Guggenheim said. "Matt is an incredibly talented actor and his portrayal of this beloved character was always something we admired. The introduction of magic and mysticism on the show this season has provided a truly organic opportunity for us to bring John Constantine to Arrow and the CW's DC universe. It will be a well-deserved tip of the hat to all the Constantine fans who were so incredibly supportive of that series."

Ryan will bring Constantine back for Arrow's fifth Season 4 episode, titled "Haunted". There's no word on whether any of Constantine's lingering plotlines will be featured - or secondary characters like Zed and Chas - but it wouldn't surprise me if the "rising darkness" had something to do with the renewed magic featured on Arrow. Of course, the greater hope is that Ryan's return will spark new interest in a second season - one where he can interact with DC characters like Doctor Fate or Zatanna.

Welcome back, you bastard.

Source: <a href=http://www.newsarama.com/25512-report-constantine-returns-in-arrow.html>Newsarama

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
I really hope he can get a season 2 or new show titled Hellblazer and it continue the show.

I wonder if he will be allowed to smoke or not on arrow.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I am sure having the character show up on Arrow will be an improvment from what we already had but I still don't think you can do Hellblazer on US network tv. It would have to be toned down to the point that it would just be Supernatral but with 1 British guy instead of 2 american brothers.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Glad to see it. At the end the show became quite interesting in my opinion. Too bad we won't see a second season. Maybe the CW will pick it up. One of the things I hated was how it was on a different network so it couldn't technically cross over.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Gizmo1990 said:
I am sure having the character show up on Arrow will be an improvment from what we already had but I still don't think you can do Hellblazer on US network tv. It would have to be toned down to the point that it would just be Supernatral but with 1 British guy instead of 2 american brothers.
Well, he used to be Vertigo, but he was pushed into the main DC universe in the New 52, which significantly toned him down anyway.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I didn't watch the show. I was mildly interested, but as soon as John opened his gob and I couldn't understand a word he said I never watched it again. I have no problem with thick accents in general and quite like some of them, but seriously I would have needed subtitles.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
-10 points for not including Supernatural.
I mean seriously Constantine. I know you came 20 years before them, but Sam and Dean have you beat! I'm not even remotely gay and if Dean asked, I'd accept.
Constantine, you need more than just "I'm gritty, GRRR!"

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Baresark said:
Gizmo1990 said:
Well, he used to be Vertigo, but he was pushed into the main DC universe in the New 52, which significantly toned him down anyway.
Which is why I don't read him anymore. I hope people enjoy the New 52 version. I hope that if the show finds a new home at the CW that people enjoy it there. Despite my issues with the show I think Matt Ryan did a great job as Constantine himself but a toned down version of Hellblazier I just not something I am interested in.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
LeathermanKick25 said:
Silentpony said:
I mean seriously Constantine. I know you came 20 years before them, but Sam and Dean have you beat! I'm not even remotely gay and if Dean asked, I'd accept.
Yeah, you summed that up perfectly. Supernatural is basically the american Constantine we never asked for but got anyway, and its fucking good at what it does.

Constantine needs an AO or R rating to do itself justice. Matt Ryan was perfect as Constantine, but he was still held back.
Not even that. It was almost literally plot for plot supernatural. I mean daemons as black clouds the possess people and cause them to do evil things. Salting and burning dead bodies to banish evil spirits. Shapeshifters, golems, werewolves, vampires...

I remember when I first watched Constantine with my dad and the first thing he said at the first commercial break was "are you sure this isn't the supernatural spinoff show?"
Because there was that terrible pilot episode about the vampire mafia that only later 40mins.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Great. Now I'm gonna have to watch Constantine on Netflix before the next season comes.
And I just started watching the Walking Dead.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
A character I liked, from a show I liked, on a show that I don't like.

I...can't really qualify this as a good thing, but hey, at least the guys still getting work.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
" Despite only running for a half-season on NBC, the show found both a loyal following, thanks largely to a strong performance from actor Matt Ryan."
Loyal following and what? That "both" is confounding me. Finish your thoughts please.

OT: A resounding "meh" was said by all.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Silentpony said:
TBH, I wasn't entirely sure the picture of John wasn't a Castiel cosplay.
JustAnotherAardvark said:
Guess I'll watch Arrow now.
As for Supernatural, they got quite silly after, what? Season 4 or maybe 5?
Supernatural was always silly.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
ccggenius12 said:
" Despite only running for a half-season on NBC, the show found both a loyal following, thanks largely to a strong performance from actor Matt Ryan."
Loyal following and what? That "both" is confounding me. Finish your thoughts please.

OT: A resounding "meh" was said by all.
My bad. Fixed.