Mature Games that are actually Mature

run_forrest_run

Dec 28, 2009
While there are hundreds of games with a mature rating there are very few that are genuinely mature i.e. Encouraging serious thought. Most of them follow the story of some moody, 1-dimensional character as he shoots/slashes his way through hundreds of grunts, swearing with every kill. But out of all games what ones would you say are truly mature.

I'll open with Bioshock. The game tackles subjects from Objectivism to Stem cell research. What can you, my fellow escapists, add to this list.

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
As I always mention in these kinds of thread, Planescape: Torment. This game isn't about some world-saving quest or rescuing the princess from distress, no, this game is about self-discovery, about who you are as a person, TNO that is. I highly, highly recommend it, it's very, very well written, an excellent story.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Prototype!

JOKING >_<

Seriously, though, probably Assassin's Creed 2. Yeah, you do have a little much badassery, but not nearly as badly as a lot of games. What I really enjoyed was the "truth" section, and the little conspiracy theory they knitted together with historical and biblical events.

KalosCast

Dec 11, 2010
Requiring serious thought might be asking too much. Encouraging it might be a better term.

Mask of the Betrayer was a good one that hasn't been mentioned.

Eumersian

Posting in the wrong thread.
Sep 3, 2009
I would go as far as to say most of the bigger M-Rated RPGs of our time try to be relatively mature, or at least not brainless in that regard.

Perhaps I am mistaken, but Mass Effect comes to mind.

run_forrest_run

Dec 28, 2009
Eumersian said:
I would go as far as to say most of the bigger M-Rated RPGs of our time try to be relatively mature, or at least not brainless in that regard.

Perhaps I am mistaken, but Mass Effect comes to mind.
It did take a look at the issue of racism, albeit alien racism, so yeah, it is mature.

SalamanderJoe

Jun 28, 2010
Could Mafia 2 be considered mature? I thought it was a well executed thriller, along with Heavy Rain.

Tonjac

Jan 27, 2010
Dragonage actually wow-ed me with how obviously elves are treated as secondclass citizens. That made me feel incredibly bad at some of the actions my character did at times towards this downtrodden people.
So i'd propably say that.
Fallout too, with how some people are openly hostile against ghouls just for "being different"

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Some mature games that are actually mature (or at least, I thought so):

Silent Hill 2+3.
killer7.
Dragon Age: Orgins.
Mass Effect 2.
Fallout 3.
Persona 4.
Max Payne 1+2.

...and those are all the ones that come to mind immediatly.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Shepard said:
Heavy Rain, is a game that's actually mature.
Curse you NINJA!

*ahem*

But yes, the demo alone of this game left me breathless of how real it felt. Also learned a little about myself during it. (Ex: I really can't walk away from a woman who might be in danger).

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
well obviously splatterhouse...........yeah im joking

the pc game zaks, it was kind of a dark humour game, but the character is very human (although he is an alien) as he only helps because he wants money and he kind of just gets swept up into the whole mess of a slave planet, so not mature mature but i think it got a 16 rating?

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
Gears of war and Dead Space. Mashing in faces with the bottom of your shoe since 1969... haha just kidding. Minecraft (the beta) multi-player. Real world economics. Dirt is valueless because its easy to find and almost useless. Stone has some value as it is easy to find but useful. Iron is valuable due to its slight rarity and multiple uses. And diamond, the most valuable (the rarest and the best for making tools). Doesn't get much more mature than that.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Sp3ratus said:
As I always mention in these kinds of thread, Planescape: Torment. This game isn't about some world-saving quest or rescuing the princess from distress, no, this game is about self-discovery, about who you are as a person, TNO that is. I highly, highly recommend it, it's very, very well written, an excellent story.
This I agree with wholeheartedly.

My contribution: Psyconauts. Seriously. It is on the outside a fun humorous platformer. It is also layered, like an onion. True, you don't get to see the real grown-up stuff till the mid-point, mostly once you reach the asylum, but it's an excellent showcase of a game that doesn't need to be unsubtle about it's maturity and manages to keep it's childish gleefulness.

Clive Staples Lewis said:
When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up.

Kellerb

Jan 20, 2009
New Vegas. yeah i went there. *mild spoilers*

sure it caters for the fans of gore and unique weaponry (Hell yeah, Anti Material rifle and Chainsaw etc) but some of the topics are pretty meaningful and brutal. Arcades commentaries on humanities imbalanced society, that awful scene where the mutilated ncr guy has to have his leg and gangrenous arm amputated, the backstories of survival against the overwhealming unfairness of life in the wasteland, *vault eleven spoiler* and then their is the govermental manipulation of lives and families, torn apart for simple *scientific* interest in that fucking vault... Makes you think. i emen held some sympathy for Caesars legion, after talking to Caesar about it.

War-hamster

Apr 5, 2010
I second Planescape: Torment. It's propobly the most *mature* game I have ever played and I've been gaming since early 90s.

EDIT: Almost forgot. Deus Ex is a very mature game about the collapse of society as we know it.