McCain Campaign Cheap-Shots D&D Players

The Sorrow

Jan 27, 2008
Bretty post=7.68928.644364 said:
Malygris post=7.68928.644337 said:
Bretty post=7.68928.644298 said:
But the majority of peeps that still play D&D vote Libritarian, sorry.
I think we need to introduce new legislation regarding our (or your) democratic institutions: "Before you can vote for it, you gotta be able to spell it."
Sorry I think your story is nothing, LOL.

Oh and critique on a gamer site from a person that couldn't make it as an actual reporter, LOL.
That was pathetic.
I'm making a note here,
E-PIC FAIL.
Jesus Christ, you're such a bloody loser.

Using the phrase "LOL"
To people that are smarter than you.
Please get off the forums or
I will report your ass.

dukeh016

Jul 25, 2008
Anton P. Nym post=7.68928.644396 said:

Oh and critique on a gamer site from a person that couldn't make it as an actual reporter, LOL.
LOLerskates. Like really? LOL. The astroturfers are, like, seriously busy I see. Gag me with a spoon... *hair flip*

I will say this about American politics... man, you guys just can't stay away from the attack ads can you? No wonder you don't trust your elected officials; they all get accused of being subhuman monsters so much that there's always a notable fraction of the populace convinced that the other guys just voted in Jeffery Dahlmer's understudy.

-- Steve
Usually when America is assaulted, especially by you foreign-types, I will quickly rally to our defense. This time, I'm afraid, you have caught us at it. We really like attack adds, I suppose because they actually work. The origins of this tactic are as old as dirt, I'm sure, but I believe that the addition of lumping the attacks in with political affiliation is relatively recent. Calling all Obama supporters "Dungeons and Dragons" players is blatantly untrue and a grand generalization meant to polarize the electorate through hate. But it works. Simply look at the poster you quoted. His message drips with hate and bias based upon his own fabricated views of how the world works. Simply put, we love to hate, and I'm not sure I could explain the phenomena in less than 20 pages. And I'd probably be wrong anyway.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
And you using the phrase "E-PIC FAIL" makes you what? 12?

And I am obvously hatefull. Look at the number one or two poster! That is what I am hateful of.

We are taught that we are all so special now. But forget asking people to give up things for the betterment of others!

I just see these stories as attempts to polarize a culture sub-set. Take it or leave it that is my opinion. Criticizing my spelling is a weak attempt to argue agaisnt my point. Nor does it make you 'smarter'.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I thought roleplaying was fairly Politically Neutral, now McCain just alienated some voters. Good call on his part... or not.

Unco

Aug 19, 2008
Someone needs to include Michael Goldfarb in their D&D group. It sounds like a role playing friend in his past didn't invite him to join. This is his cry for help!

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Geez what was the point of that? I mean if there wasn't another reason to no vote for McCain for me, this would have to be it, which is kind of a shame because I kinda felt he was a different kind of Republican. But oh well.

And yeah, I'll agree that Americans really love the attack ads too much.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Malygris post=7.68928.644337 said:
Bretty post=7.68928.644298 said:
But the majority of peeps that still play D&D vote Libritarian, sorry.
I think we need to introduce new legislation regarding our (or your) democratic institutions: "Before you can vote for it, you gotta be able to spell it."

Nice, insulting a staffer. I predict that your stay here will be long and fruitful. Then again, I've never been much of a psychic.

And who are you to be talking against polarizing when you generalize that any democrat is obviously ignorant and stupid?

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
It sounds like he just doesn't know what the hell he's talking about, "pro-obama dungeons and dragons crowd" - seriously it makes no sense, it just sounds like a very very bad attempt at an attack, since "D&D" is a popular target because calling D&D crowd nerds in their basement, makes you cool.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Besides Bretty's completely unsubstantiated claim as well as his personal attacks and also the fact he failed to read the article (it never said McCain himself said anything against D&D players), there was an actual article here that IS actually something to report.

McCain and his staffers clearly have no grasp of modern communications technology. The man has admitted he doesn't use E-mail or the internet (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=93201264) and equates people with blogs as the same people who play D&D and support Obama. It also shows his tremendous "Stay off the grass, you punks!" approach to critics by attacking them as parents' basement-bound children or losers. Let's face it, the guy was built to be president in 1984 or earlier. Not in 2008.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
"McCain and his staffers clearly have no grasp of modern communications technology"

right.....

"when you generalize that any democrat is obviously ignorant and stupid"

huh? When? I would say 'you' are ignorant of my previous posts!

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
McCain stated in the Republican Primaries that he was computer illiterate. He also said he'd be sure to appoint people to advise him on those issues.

Bretty, the call to attention on your spelling is no excuse to fire up the flamethrowers. In case you missed the posting guidelines, please check the first post of the first thread stickied on every forum, and especially review the sections under "Grammar and spelling" and "Flaming and trolling".

Lets all keep it civil, please.

Piston Effesca

Feb 17, 2008
I'm libertarian,
I play DnD on occasion,
I live in the Midwest,
I, like many Midwesterners, will be voting for Obama.

McMo0^

Dec 21, 2007
thats really random... sounds like a man cracking up to me. It sounds like a jock mocking the nerds for noticing something that he was to stupid to spot. I'm from the uk and from everything i've read, obama seemed the way forward for america anyway... this guy just seems like a tool.

snuffler

Jun 4, 2008
Wow I haven't played D&D for a while, but I do play it with my friends while getting high/drunk for fun (also assists in role playing with your character, our dungeon master/group of players insist that you go shot-for-shot with your character, and the first thing we do in every new town is find the inn for a pint/shot), and even though I care not for politics, had I been born an American, this would have convinced me to start voting, and for Obama.

Frankly I would love to see a man like Obama win the presidential election. He deserves it more than some goof who makes french fries. Really to completely denounce D&D and ignore something as massive as the internet shows his incompetence to run a country. How can you claim that you would be fit to lead a country when you don't understand how your own campaign can influence so many people?

Malygris said:
In a message posted on the campaign's web site
HobbesMkii said:
The man has admitted he doesn't use E-mail or the internet (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=93201264) and equates people with blogs as the same people who play D&D and support Obama.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Can we start a "Escapist vs McCain battle" thread? I know the D&D system well enough to run the fight, oh can we please?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
It has less to do with the spelling itself than the irony of being unable to spell the name of the political party he claims such familiarity with.

Anyway, I zinged, he counter-zinged (although not with nearly my level of panache, I must say), now let us move on.

Here's something I'd like to know: Is this something McCain & Co. actually believe, or are they just pandering to an audience that does believe it? Not that either is something you want in a President, but which is preferable: Outmoded ignorance or opportunistic dishonesty?

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
Anton P. Nym post=7.68928.644210 said:
Okay, McCain, you asked for this...

Roll for initiative.

-- Steve
Nice one. If someone told him that directly and it hit the press, I would be ROFLing all day.

snuffler

Jun 4, 2008
Opportunistic dishonesty in a heartbeat. Even if he is a lying snake, it's better to have a lying snake that knows how to get you out of trouble when you're in it than an outmoded ignorant that needs a bidet to wipe his ass for him.

DeathsAmbassador

Mar 7, 2008
SteinFaust post=7.68928.644178 said:
unfortunately for him. a lot of people who are of voting age grew up in the era when D&D was popular and new. they played it, and many people still play it today. (not me, god no.) but being a gamer, i am also offended by this statement, and feel that unless there's another colossal F*ck-up like in 2000, he won't win this election.
I agree, my Dad for instance did used to play D&D daily with his friends in his moms basement.