MCU's Black Panther Looks Downright Comic Book in Official Art - Update

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Verlander said:
When Wonder Woman was announced, the Escapist threw up banners and flags claiming that DC had finally "one upped" Marvel:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138059-DC-Announces-Wonder-Woman-Green-Lantern-6-Other-Films-Through-2020

This was because we had at long last had a female lead in comic book films... despite there being Catwoman, Elektra, Supergirl and suchlike before her. Still, it's the first female lead in this generation, amirite?

Now Marvel have announced their female led film, but also will beat DC to the punch for black/non-America based lead character, and we get nothing? I live in the UK, and have quite a few Nigerian nerd friends... they love Black Panther. He's THE African badass. C'mon Escapist, show some more love for BP.

OT This lineup redeems Marvel for their shoddy Avengers 2 trailer in my books. Well played, Marvel, well played.
I have to admit I don't always get the logic, but at the same time I think part of the problem is that Black Panther is a difficult character to do, more so than Wonder Woman. What's more we've been being teased with something being done with the WW property for a long time now, so it's kind of exciting to see it finally happen.

See, for example one thing to understand is that if they decide to make Black Panther "The African Badass" they are doing it wrong. Most of his people would look down on Nigerians, and most of the rest of the world, T'challa's relative humanitarianism is part of what sets him apart and it's part of the basic plotline. It's also why him losing the title to someone else can be a big deal, since Wakanda will revert to outright xenophobia. It's kind of ironic but it seems Wakanda has more respect for Latveria (Kingdom of Doctor Doom) than it does for nearly anyone else, and indeed they are carbon copies of each other on a lot of levels, technological nations (above most of the rest of the world) with primitive trappings (one old school European, the other African tribal) and both basically act as cults of personality for their respective leaders whom they virtually worship. BP himself doesn't like Doom (obviously) but it's noteworthy as I pointed out that he was in the past outed by his own people in favor of an alliance with Doom at one point (Doomwar if I remember).

To do this right, Wakanda has to be presented as amazing, but also kind of sad and pathetic. Basically, despite the vibranium, this is a nation that would stagnate and die out in isolation within a generation or two left on it's own devices, which is a big part of why T'challa fights to open it up to the outside world. But even he tends to be an ignorant, arrogant, dufus at times, which is in part how he's been beaten in the past.

Of course a lot depends on what role they plan to have the country play. Focusing on Black Panther in exile is different from say focusing on him acting as a king and ambassador that occasionally dresses in black and beats the hell out of bad guys.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Therumancer said:
I have to admit I don't always get the logic, but at the same time I think part of the problem is that Black Panther is a difficult character to do, more so than Wonder Woman. What's more we've been being teased with something being done with the WW property for a long time now, so it's kind of exciting to see it finally happen.

See, for example one thing to understand is that if they decide to make Black Panther "The African Badass" they are doing it wrong. Most of his people would look down on Nigerians, and most of the rest of the world, T'challa's relative humanitarianism is part of what sets him apart and it's part of the basic plotline. It's also why him losing the title to someone else can be a big deal, since Wakanda will revert to outright xenophobia. It's kind of ironic but it seems Wakanda has more respect for Latveria (Kingdom of Doctor Doom) than it does for nearly anyone else, and indeed they are carbon copies of each other on a lot of levels, technological nations (above most of the rest of the world) with primitive trappings (one old school European, the other African tribal) and both basically act as cults of personality for their respective leaders whom they virtually worship. BP himself doesn't like Doom (obviously) but it's noteworthy as I pointed out that he was in the past outed by his own people in favor of an alliance with Doom at one point (Doomwar if I remember).

To do this right, Wakanda has to be presented as amazing, but also kind of sad and pathetic. Basically, despite the vibranium, this is a nation that would stagnate and die out in isolation within a generation or two left on it's own devices, which is a big part of why T'challa fights to open it up to the outside world. But even he tends to be an ignorant, arrogant, dufus at times, which is in part how he's been beaten in the past.

Of course a lot depends on what role they plan to have the country play. Focusing on Black Panther in exile is different from say focusing on him acting as a king and ambassador that occasionally dresses in black and beats the hell out of bad guys.
Very good points, completely agree. I guess that as he's the only notable African hero, those guys take what they can get. I think the logic goes that it's nice to see an African character in comics that isn't a) American, b) a sob story and c) a sidekick. I think the "BP in exile" would be a great plot

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Elfgore said:
I was never that big of a fan of Black Panther, he was always Marvel's Batman in my eyes. Due to a lack of interest, I never learned his allies, enemies, and story. So I'm looking forward to this. I'm looking a lot more towards Captain Marvel though.
Ironically, I only know of him and Klaw both through their appearances elsewhere. I think Klaw appeared in some FF comics (Which makes sense, since Panther is a friend and ally of the FF) and Panther was in...Well, I think he appeared in every Marvel comic series I bought as a kid. He was sort of the comic book equivalent of Nolan North in the late 80s and early 90s.

Thunderous Cacophony said:
I think they can probably handle it; if it seems touchy, they might use that "other realms" stuff that they are leaning on to have the country pop back into reality after X years in an alternate dimension, where they invented their advanced technology with an abudant supply of alien metals.
Didn't a couple of the cartoons have it basically hidden from other nations anyway? So, like, they could do that, too.

But from the African people I know who read comics, they're just glad that the continent isn't only treated as a Third-World hellhole ruled by dictators and child soldiers. They do have some pulpy "Dark Heart of Africa" stuff going on, but personally I like that so while it might bother others, I'm fine with it.
The pulp is sometimes the best part, anyway.

If people are upset that it's an imaginary isolated utopia rather than a real country... well, about half of Marvel's Africa is made up countries, so they'll have to deal at some point.
Almost everywhere in Marvel that's not New York is a made up country anyway.

mecegirl said:
You say that like it would be hard. Based on his interactions with the Avengers in the comics he already has a connection to the team. Any "fanboys" that rage just don't know their comics, and probably need to do some soul searching for assuming that he's being tokenized.
Maybe they're fake comic nerds. >.>

<.<

I especially find this weird since he was featured in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

But then, I've already seen Marvel accused of making up new characters for diversity's sake (Both Panther and Ms Captain Carol Danvers Binary Warbird Marvel), I'm not going to be shocked when fans eventually do rage.

Verlander said:
This was because we had at long last had a female lead in comic book films... despite there being Catwoman, Elektra, Supergirl and suchlike before her. Still, it's the first female lead in this generation, amirite?
Can you blame people for not remembering those movies?

Wonder Woman had the potential to be the first good female led movie.

Besides, Cyborg already got announced on the black front.

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
mecegirl said:
You say that like it would be hard. Based on his interactions with the Avengers in the comics he already has a connection to the team. Any "fanboys" that rage just don't know their comics, and probably need to do some soul searching for assuming that he's being tokenized.
Maybe they're fake comic nerds. >.>

<.<

I especially find this weird since he was featured in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

But then, I've already seen Marvel accused of making up new characters for diversity's sake (Both Panther and Ms Captain Carol Danvers Binary Warbird Marvel), I'm not going to be shocked when fans eventually do rage.
Yeah, its gonna be kinda hilarious when it happens. Might even be as funny as the people who, even though some read the books, started complaining about how Rue from the Hunger Games was race swapped in the movies. She's straight up described with brown skin in the books!

Zachary Amaranth said:
Verlander said:
Can you blame people for not remembering those movies?

Wonder Woman had the potential to be the first good female led movie.

Besides, Cyborg already got announced on the black front.
The Blade movies count, he is within the Marvel universe. I know folks think of him, and his movies, as just a vampire thing. But it wasn't just in the 90's cartoons that he teamed up with Spiderman.

Technically there are movies like Steel.

But people don't remember that movie for the same reason why they don't remember Catwoman. Which is a shame since Steel is a great DC chracter and deserved a better movie.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
mecegirl said:
Yeah, its gonna be kinda hilarious when it happens. Might even be as funny as the people who, even though some read the books, started complaining about how Rue from the Hunger Games was race swapped in the movies. She's straight up described with brown skin in the books!
In fairness, I don't think people paid much attention. Virtually nobody complained that Katniss was uberwhite.

That irked me, though, that people were that butthurt over a "race swap" that wasn't even a "race swap."

The Blade movies count, he is within the Marvel universe. I know folks think of him, and his movies, as just a vampire thing. But it wasn't just in the 90's cartoons that he teamed up with Spiderman.

Technically there are movies like Steel.

But people don't remember that movie for the same reason why they don't remember Catwoman. Which is a shame since Steel is a great DC chracter and deserved a better movie.
Well, the quality of the Blade movies is somewhat...debated. The movies had a critic score on Metacritic in the 40s for the first, 50s for the second, and 30s for the third. While not as bad as Steel or Blankman, I still think we could arguably still be looking for the first GOOD black superhero movie, much like with women.

Sep 24, 2008
mecegirl said:

They will probably just have Cap's new shield be made of Vibranium, or possibly remade of Vibranium(since it showed some of the metal's properties in the Avengers movie). There is only one place on Marvel's earth with Vibranium and that's Wakanda. Its been written in for some time now that T'Challa's father gave some Vibranium to the U.S. as a gift and they used that to make Cap's shield. All they have to do is reference that part of the comics. They may also have BP create a new set of wings for the Falcon, since in the comics it was T'Challa who designed them in the first place. So done and done.

The connection was always there, maybe if the movie writers didn't feel the need to have the Starks invent everything then it would be easier to fit new characters within the wider Marvel cinematic universe. They may have similar issues with Ant Man since they decided to have Tony invent Ultron instead of Hank Pym. As well as skipping Hank's tenure as Ant Man to go straight to Scott Lang.
but that's exactly the issue.

Everything you say is true and right.

Black Panther is going to be a subject of so much scorn for not only being an integral part of the team, but having a few bad ass moments when he does his well documented thing about calling people out on their shit. Many will just whine "DO YOU REALLY HAVE TO HAVE THE BLACK CHARACTER DO SO MUCH?! I GET IT, PC FOR ALL!!"

I'm just tired of that stuff.