MDK2 Goes HD

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
MDK2 Goes HD

[viddler=d54dd65]​
MDK2, BioWare's cult-classic third-person shooter, is getting the HD treatment in a remake that comes out tomorrow.

To most gamers, BioWare is synonymous with epic, overwrought RPGs, but way back in the day - the year 2000, to be precise - it created the bizarre shooter MDK2 [http://www.amazon.com/MDK-2-Pc/dp/B00004KHB4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1318358525&sr=8-3] for Interplay. The game focused on the action-packed adventures of Kurt Hectic, a janitor forced to fight off an alien invasion, a robotic six-legged dog with a gun fetish named Max, and Max's creator and all-around mad scientist, the old, weird Dr. Fluke Hawkins.

I don't think you could call it a big hit, but any game that includes anthropomorphic dog with a lust for violence and an atomic toaster firearm is okay in my books and apparently in Beamdog's too. The digital distributor, through its Overhaul Games division, is on the cusp of releasing MDK2 HD, a hi-def do-over [http://overhaulgames.com/mdk2hd/] of the original game.

"Our crack team of commando developers have gone over every surface in the game with a steam cleaner, a paintbrush, and a laser cutter to make it as shiny and spectacular as possible," Overhaul said. "Your brain literally* won't be able to tell the difference between the world of MDK2 HD and reality!"

MDK2 HD comes out October 12 - yes, that's tomorrow - exclusively for the PC.

(*Literally!)

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
Holy shit. WILL GET! I goddamn loved that game. Many years ago it was the very first game I played with WASD + mouse look controls. NOSTALGIA TRIP!

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Ahhhh... MDK! BAck when games didn't have to make sense. Also, great visual design, solid gameplay, wacky humor. I'll be picking this up, not just for the nostalgia value, but because it's a genuinely good game.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Next game:
GIANTS

Seriously, as much as I love MDK2, I love GIANTS even more.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, the original MDK2 for the PC didn't looked that bad to begin with and you could even play it with HD resolutions without tinkering too much with the graphics.

But oh well, to each his own, I guess this release is great for those that can't stand early 2000's Dreamcast esque graphics.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Wait, tomorrow? When did this happen? I never even new they were remaking it. I still have the old version, I don't need to spend money on shinier graphics. Not with so many other games coming out soon.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
I wish it was a remake of the first MDK in HD.

I loved MDK2, but the first one was better in my book.

Or hell, give me MDK3! I'd love to bounce around those giant Minecrawlers in Kurt's coil suit, all in current-gen graphical goodness.

oh well. I already have MDK2 on my dreamcast.

And steam.

....I might get the HD one too.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I didn't like the controls on the PS2 but it might be worth picking up now that it has mouse support.

EDIT: autoplay is irritating...

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
DeadlyYellow said:
Eh. I might get it if it's the same price or cheaper than the regular.

Also, fuck autoplay.
I just found where it's at. Here's the link.
http://www.beamdog.com/products/mdk2-hd
Also It's actually $15 which is $9 more than on steam or on their website. Granted they did have to take work into it so I understand if they wanted to charge more to help pay off the company who redid the graphics. I owned the dreamcast version of it and I loved it. Dont know what it plays like on the PC but I might buy the first one on GOG to see how it plays.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
80Maxwell08 said:
DeadlyYellow said:
Eh. I might get it if it's the same price or cheaper than the regular.

Also, fuck autoplay.
I just found where it's at. Here's the link.
http://www.beamdog.com/products/mdk2-hd
Also It's actually $15 which is $9 more than on steam or on their website. Granted they did have to take work into it so I understand if they wanted to charge more to help pay off the company who redid the graphics. I owned the dreamcast version of it and I loved it. Dont know what it plays like on the PC but I might buy the first one on GOG to see how it plays.
I can guarantee that the PC version plays a lot better than the Dreamcast version, I'm not sure about the PS2 version though. You can play the PC version like a regular shooter, with WASD for moving around and the mouse for aiming. Or, if you have a controller attached to your PC (I tried with a 360 controller), you could configure it with very little hassle and start killing stuff with your controller.

I still think that the regular version (Steam/GOG) is better and cheaper.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I love the MDK series (I even know what the initials mean), but I'm not sure if I'll buy it. I see they updated all of the textures and many models but why didn't they add lipsync while they were at it?
I'll get it if it'll be cheap and on Steam.

Suomimaster

Mar 19, 2008
They made a HD-remake of MDK 2 and skipped the first MDK? Why if I may ask?

Hope that MDK 2 HD-remake also includes MDK 1 HD-remake.

Apr 28, 2008
Holy fuck yes.

MDK 2 is the only Bioware game that actually has fun gameplay. If the price isn't too steep(more than $20) I'll definitely get this.

And what the guy above me said, fuck autoplay.