ME3: Why do the reapers all look the same?

bullet_sandw1ch

Jun 3, 2011
Zhukov said:
It explains this somewhere in the codex thingy.

The thorn bug/cuttlefish form is like armour or a shell. Inside they presumably all look different.

Of course, the real reason for this is that they just couldn't be arsed coming up with a unique design for each reaper.
yeah, the inside of a reaper looks different depending on what species it was made of. like a turian reaper, an asari, or volus, or prothean. actually, a 2km tall garrus reaper would make my life meaningful.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Always thought the scuttlefish exterior hid a cyborg version of the race that has been harvested (think the human reaper from me2). So to see what a reaper really looks like, have to pop open the shell to take a peek.

It's what I've been assuming up to this point anyways.

Greatjusticeman

May 29, 2011
Who knows.

It might be hard to create Reapers that can also walk about the land and stuff without losing that general vision that we have of them as well.

Might also be they just didn't think about it or think it was that big of a deal to put effort into.

However, the game wasn't rushed. They had one month less of development time compared to ME2. If you read the Final Hours of ME3, you'd see that the development team themselves really got ambitious and overdid themselves.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
dreadedcandiru99 said:
Kahunaburger said:
They look the same to you? You humans are all racist!

But really, the answer is the same answer you can apply to almost any Bioware-related question:

endtherapture said:
The game was rushed and Bioware was lazy, that's it.
I figured it was mainly EA's fault. Didn't they only get two years to work on this, as opposed to four to five years for the older games?
The previous games had 3 years each (assuming work began on ME2 right after the first was shipped), this had 2 - which isn't really a cut-down considering they have most of their assets in place, what they wanted out of the engine done and dusted, the combat mostly finalised, and no doubt a much larger team accrued by the time they began work on the third.

OT: I'm sure the whole squid-look is a type of armour/uniform/gimp suit. So I imagine the answer's not that much different to why people in military uniforms look much the same; because they didn't call each other beforehand and co-ordinate.

Quesa

Jul 8, 2009
It's perfectly plausible that the Reapers are completely recreated in the centuries before they leave for hibernation and none of the previous cycle's shells remain, but obviously laziness was the key element here.

I was more annoyed at how they insisted on marching around like giant lizards while being bombarded from orbit or fighting land based organisms.

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
Frankster said:
Always thought the scuttlefish exterior hid a cyborg version of the race that has been harvested (that the human reaper from me2). So to see what a reaper really looks like, have to pop open the shell to take a peek.

It's what I've been assuming up to this point anyways.
Ding.

Recall how big the human reaper was in ME2 (about what, 50', 5 stories tall?), then how big Sovereign was in ME1 (grabbing onto one of the arms of the Citadel).

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Resource management. People normally don't give a fuck so why should they bother with needless flourishes. Why don't all the Geth look different? Why over the course of 3 games I have yet to see a FEMALE Turian?

Also they're potentially a combination off the varieties they harvested, features from bits and pieces of each.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
rhizhim said:
Zhukov said:
It explains this somewhere in the codex thingy.

The thorn bug/cuttlefish form is like armour or a shell. Inside they presumably all look different.

Of course, the real reason for this is that they just couldn't be arsed coming up with a unique design for each reaper.
nope.

in mass effect 2, they gave a shit.
see:[Bigass image that did weird things to my inbox]
in 3 they didnt
Why are you quoting my posts from nearly a year ago?

Also, having five or six vaguely different looking reapers in a ten second, pre-rendered cutscene is a rather different kettle of fish to designing, modelling and animating dozens of unique reapers throughout an entire game.

Jun 11, 2009
Holy hell, am I seriously the only person here who knows about Mass Effect 3: Leviathan? Christ, they literally tell you how the reapers came about and why they look like they do.

I know, dead thread, but seriously you guys.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Professor Lupin Madblood said:
Holy hell, am I seriously the only person here who knows about Mass Effect 3: Leviathan? Christ, they literally tell you how the reapers came about and why they look like they do.

This was before Leviathan came out.

Seems like pretty important information? Why wasn't it in the main game? Bioware fails again.

Jun 11, 2009
endtherapture said:
Professor Lupin Madblood said:

This was before Leviathan came out.

Seems like pretty important information? Why wasn't it in the main game? Bioware fails again.
Oh. My fault, then.

It's certainly interesting information, but hardly important. I mean, really, it doesn't have any bearing on the main game. Yeah, there was that bit about the human Reaper in ME2, but it could've been replaced with pretty much any doomsday weapon and had the same overall effect on the narrative.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
The "Human Reaper" you see in ME2, is actually the Reaper's core, and not how it would've looked if it was completed. All finished flagship reapers have the same general shape, but different markings.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
What's wrong with all the huge, omnipotent, god-like enemies to look the same?
Why do all the pirates in FC3 look the same? Why do all the supermutants in Fallout or draugr in Skyrim look the same? To show that they're the villain and you automatically associate that shape to the evil deeds that they have done. I think that having all enemies in a game like this look the same is perfectly fine. I'd have been annoyed if they looked different as it would be unnecessary.

Jun 11, 2009
Tom_green_day said:
What's wrong with all the huge, omnipotent, god-like enemies to look the same?
Why do all the pirates in FC3 look the same? Why do all the supermutants in Fallout or draugr in Skyrim look the same? To show that they're the villain and you automatically associate that shape to the evil deeds that they have done. I think that having all enemies in a game like this look the same is perfectly fine. I'd have been annoyed if they looked different as it would be unnecessary.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
Real reason: lazy/cheap game design.

Contrived and nonsensical reason: go fork up the money for "Levitation" (or w.e the fuck their newest dead albatross-DLC tack on is called) and slog through it if you'd like it.