Mech Games

Continuity

May 20, 2010
MW2 was and is still the best mech game, all the sequels after that weren't very good. MW3 had serious bugs in the campaign, and the MW4 games made by microsoft were just terrible - completely wrecked the atmosphere of the game.

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
Chromehounds' online servers going offline was one of the saddest moments in my life... :[

So many good times, so many epic missions, so many epic HOUND-designs...

Fuck. I promised myself I would not cry...

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
If only Chromehounds had been even slightly balanced. It was fun for a bit, but really there were too many broken mech designs.

Rarhnor

Jun 2, 2010
I see where you're getting at, and I'm gonna say Armored Core or Battletech. Neither of them are in particular good, but can keep you entertained for a long time...At least for Armored Core's part.
Seeing how you enjoyed Chromehounds, and probably enjoyd multiplayer(WHY DID THEY CLOSE THE SERVERS!?), Armored Core is the best bet for a non-RTS mech game.

Edit: You're probably gonna eat the game from all the difficult controls you have to pull of to make it through the 2 chapter.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
urgh, MW5 looks depressingly like MW4. Microsoft need to sell the rights to a dev team who actually have imaginations.

JIst00

Nov 11, 2009
What I, personally, always loved about the BattleTech games, MechWarrior over MechCommander, was the fact that they almost played like a simulator game. A simulator game for an amazing fastastical piece of machinery that every boy would love to own. They achieved this with the control system, making the controls seem overly complicated, like a flight-sim, yet they were actually quite simple.

OT: I would love to see more of this franchise, at least an update to bring it in line with the newer games. It'd be a refreshing change from the endless Halo/Gears/FarCry clones, and give us big kids something to be big kids about again. I think that, while maybe a controller, ala PS3 or 360, would maybe be overly simplified, it'd still be do-able, which means a cross system game which may help satisfy the marketing guys before they nix it.

Heres hoping that MickySoft bring in a team of developers that love the fanchise and will do it justice, and who are also not too scrade to tell Micky to piss off when they try and dumb it down.

I think I'm gonna dig out MW4 and my old joystick and stomp around blowing shit up. ^^

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
More Fun To Compute said:
TheComedown said:
Mechwarrior 5 will get of the ground, its got a ton of Mech fanboy nostalgia behind it, it will sell, they would be stupid to scape the game.
Nobody in the games publishing industry cares unless it can sell two to three million copies every year. I predict that we will never see it and if we do it will be Mechwarrior 5: Can I has Call of Duty edition.
And you think that there isn't a few million Mechwarrior fans out there? And how on earth would they manage to mix CoD in there to screw it up?

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
TheComedown said:
And you think that there isn't a few million Mechwarrior fans out there? And how on earth would they manage to mix CoD in there to screw it up?
We will see what the publishers think of the size of Mechwarrior fan base and if they think they need to be served with a mech sim or if they can just go on as normal. I don't know exactly how they could mix CoD into the game and destroy it's soul and essence but you can bet that this what competent game designers are paid to do while telling themselves they are improving things for everyone.

Of the top of my head I would be disappointed if a mech sim had standard FPS or action game controls with a small twist for "mech sim flavour". I would be disappointed if the levels were all corridors with invisible wars and lots of scripted moment to moment sound and fury in place of things like mission briefings, planning and tactics. Also if it was mostly an online multiplayer game with experience grinding and non persistent/respawning play areas.