Mechwarrior 5 trailer

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Full disclosure up front: I have a relative who works on this game and this is not a Piranha approved post

Anydangway

About fucking time, eh?! Loved me the old Mechwarrior games!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16FT94GTEzo

Its still early concept I think? Like the Mechs are moving kinda fast, like they don't have much weight to them. Also doesn't look like they're leaving footprints?
Also I hear deathmatch, and 4-player Co-Op are coming. Also King Fucking Crabs!

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
INB4 its gonna be full of loot box, microtransactions, always online focused mutliplayer only game with shit balancing and without any of the depth of the older games.

I am just wondering when the fuck is GOG.com gonna get the older games by now?

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
I'd kinda prefer they revive Interstate, to be honest. That said, Mechwarrior had the bigger fanbase, so it makes sense.

Also props for filling the trailer with actual gameplay footage. That's the way to do it.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Squilookle said:
I'd kinda prefer they revive Interstate, to be honest. That said, Mechwarrior had the bigger fanbase, so it makes sense.

Also props for filling the trailer with actual gameplay footage. That's the way to do it.
Although I would have preferred in-game footage from the cockpit. As it stands, that's just really sped up footage of the Battletech game on steam

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Silentpony said:
Squilookle said:

Although I would have preferred in-game footage from the cockpit. As it stands, that's just really sped up footage of the Battletech game on steam
Yeah, that was my concern. While I didn't mind the Xbox Mechwarrior game (the actual reason why I bought the console, in fact, just so I could get some sort of Mechwarrior fix), they too were piloted from outside and that just doesn't seem right. It already makes me feel like the complex economy of the Mechwarior games will be curtailed. I like shooting of Mech limbs. Please have that too MW5

Edit: Building destruction looked like they were going through paper. Please fix

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Samtemdo8 said:
INB4 its gonna be full of loot box, microtransactions, always online focused mutliplayer only game with shit balancing and without any of the depth of the older games.

I never played a mechwarrior game, who is publishing and developing this one?

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:

When they can pry the rights to distribution from Activision's cold, dead hands.

Mar 30, 2010
Hmm. Still looks very much like a work in progress, but hey, any Mechwarrior is better than no Mechwarrior. I must say though that the Mech did all look kinda samey. You could identify the different loadouts and cockpit styles fair enough, but there was no great variety in the Mech structure outside of 'big metal soldier'. I was hoping for a more 'Chromehounds' (360 Mechwarrior clone) approach, where the Mechs were true weapons platforms with modular construction allowing a staggering variety of Mech forms, from lightweight wheeled scout, through chicken-walker skirmishers, frontline battlemechs (of the types this trailer seemed entirely composed of) to heavy, quadrupedal or tracked mobile artillery platforms. Some of the designs I saw in online play were truly out there in terms of creativity, and unfortunately I saw none of that in the trailer.

That being said, I hope the project is a success. I remember time and time again bunking off school to hop a train to London and sink hours into Mechwarrior in Virtual World. *sniff* Good times, man. Good times.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Lufia Erim said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Piranha games. Ive never heard of them before this game

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Silentpony said:
Lufia Erim said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Piranha games. Ive never heard of them before this game
They did MWO which I heard was okay but ruined by micro transactions...

And Duke Nukem Forever. So not a great track record

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Everything seemed to be moving way too fast.

Like I get that a 100-ton-walking-battle-tank would not work at all in real life so this might seem pedantic but they do not give enough of an impression that there is real weight behind them.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Yeah, I agree it seems like a pretty early build. Looks pretty rough around the edges and the mechs are a little too spry, zipping around like they're all light scouts. I like my Atlas mech plodding around like the big pack of beef it is.

Cette

Legacy
Dec 16, 2011
Country
US
The footage they put out of them live playing in coop is considerably better looking if you can get past Russ just being godawful at his own game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=XUM3jx0ob40

As someone who's been playing MWO off and on for six to seven years I'd say expect good feeling core gameplay, mediocre graphics, and half to quarter assed everything else.

Smart money is on MW5 getting an expansion that's basically MWO2 if it does well also as MWO is held back hard by them using a Cryengine and it both being incredibly poorly suited to what they're doing and them not really being competent enough to work around that.

On the upside it's historicly not been particularly pay to win so they may keep that up.