Mechwarrior Online Trailer Unleashes the Atlas

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mechwarrior Online Trailer Unleashes the Atlas

The Mechwarrior Online debut trailer is here to drop an Atlas on your face.

There's admittedly less to see in this new Mechwarrior Online trailer than I'd like, but I do like what I see: an Atlas heating up and then dropping onto Eaglesham in the year 3049, presumably to cause some trouble for an unlucky Warhammer pilot in the very near future. Do Atlases normally get dropped from this altitude? It seems a bit extreme to me, but hey, it looks impressive. So does the trailer itself, which the dev team confirmed on Twitter [https://twitter.com/#!/MechWarriorF2P] is enirely "in-engine."

It would've been nice to see some actual gameplay, and I'm a little bit disappointed by the lack of dubstep. And why are there so many hula girls in these videos? Somebody needs to get one of those "cat caught in door" things in their cockpit. Still, it's exciting stuff; kind of like the night before Christmas, except that instead of gaily wrapped gifts, somebody's going to get a face full of scorching hot plasma.

The free-to-play Mechwarrior Online [http://mwomercs.com/] is slated to come out later this year, exclusively for the PC.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Hurray for no dubstep. I think they cut the trailer short so we didn't see gravity take its toll on the Atlas.

carletonman

Oct 29, 2010
Answers to both questions! Hot drops of mechs from that altitude are entirely possible, though its unlikely that it would be an Atlas. As for the hula girls, it's a throw-back to the original MW 5 trailer, and has become something of a "cake" meme over on the MWO boards

On a side note, I am incredibly stoked for this game to finally come to fruition; been waiting far too long for it

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
carletonman said:
Answers to both questions! Hot drops of mechs from that altitude are entirely possible, though its unlikely that it would be an Atlas.
Would they not have external thruster pods on the hull of the Atlas to slow its decent like in Mechwarrior 4?

OT: I already have my profile and pilot name ready for when this game hits the world!

Dinasis

Dec 28, 2010
Saulkar said:
Would they not have external thruster pods on the hull of the Atlas to slow its decent like in Mechwarrior 4?
It does have a thruster pack, it's the bulk of the yellow attachments strapped to the back and over the shoulders of the Atlas. You see it fire for a moment just before it falls out of view.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Dinasis said:
Saulkar said:
It does have a thruster pack, it's the bulk of the yellow attachments strapped to the back and over the shoulders of the Atlas. You see it fire for a moment just before it falls out of view.
Yes I see it now. Lot smaller than I have seen in other adaptations.

Oro44

Jan 28, 2009
I'm going to have to start assembling a playlist that is sufficiently ROCK when I play this game.