Media Blames Videogames For Wannabe Bomber's Actions

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
Most of the games have next to NOTHING to do with terrorist bombing. Daily Mail, New York Post, please, I'm begging you, DO YOUR F*CKING RESEARCH!!!

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Wait, he was only watching them, like a movie... Why the hell are they blaming video games when it was a non-interactive experience for him, making it as much a video game as a movie or a tv show? Damn fox news hating video games so much for no justifiable reason.

SaunaKalja

Sep 18, 2009
I've watched Lets Play Dantes Inferno. I guess I'll start going around, killing unbaptized babies with a scythe... any day now...

Then again it wasn't on youtube, so it propably doesn't have the same magical corrupting effect on pure, good-willed people. Also using the logic that watching Resident Evil teaches you to build bombs, I guess watching Dantes Inferno teches you to build... crucifixes?

Sux2bu

Mar 4, 2010
THE FACE PALM IS PUSHING AS HARD AS WE CAN GO, WE NEED MORE DILYTHIUM CRYSTALS CAPTAIN!!!

OT: This is an example of the current media, always looking for something else to blame.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
"Khalid Ali-M Aldawsari under the evil influence of videogames (evil is after all in Resident Evil) came to believe the whitehouse was infested with zombies and that the only solution was a nuclear device, something he had learnt from the game along with the use of biological weapons. His house was searched and a large number of heavy weapons and illegal 'herbs'.were discovered. His online 'blog' was filled with incoherent ranting about being 'the master of unlocking', crude sexual remarks about 'Jill sandwiches' and threats against someone called 'Wesker' and his umbrellas..."

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
vansau said:
Media Blames Videogames For Wannabe Bomber's Actions

A man who was plotting to bomb George W. Bush's house liked watching videos of games, which means news outlets are blaming them for his behavior.

A Saudi national was recently arrested for plotting to blow up a number of targets in America, including former President George W. Bush's home in Texas. The man, twenty-year-old Khalid Ali-M Aldawsari, plead not guilty to the charge of attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction when he was arraigned last week. While trying to blow up buildings may not be a common pastime for young adults, videogames are, and Aldawsari has been identified as a gamer. Naturally, certain media groups are starting to blame games for his plot.

According to The Daily Mail, Aldawsari maintained a blog where he wrote about how much he liked the Resident Evil games. In one post, he wrote the following statement:

Finished watching the Resident Evil Remake game on youtube today and I am glad to watch it because I like the Resident Evil games and this is not my first time to watch the gameplay on youtube; in addition to Resident Evil Remake, I watched Resident Evil 3, Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil 5, and I am now watching Resident Evil Code Veronica.

It should be noted that this doesn't actually reveal that Aldawsari enjoyed playing videogames, just that he enjoyed watching YouTube videos of them. However, that hasn't stopped the press from eating it up. The Daily Mail ran a headline that reads "Evil resident was hooked on Resident Evil: Saudi terror suspect loved ultra-violent video game". The New York Post, in turn ran a similar headline: "Alleged Saudi bomb plotter pleads not guilty, inspired by violent video game".

Aldawsari, who was a business student at South Plains College near Lubbock, TX, was arrested last week after he attempted to purchase a large amount of phenol from a company in North Carolina, which flagged his order as suspicious and alerted authorities. After law enforcement groups started surveillance on him, he emailed himself a list of targets that included nuclear power plants, a number of dams, and the Dallas home of former President Bush (which he identified as "Tyrant's House").

Aldawsari's believed he was waging a one man "jihad", according to articles that cite the young man's journal entries. Apparently he was planning to use a series of chemical-based improvised explosive devices that he would hide in dolls and backpacks to carry out the attacks. <a href=http://www.richlandchronicle.com/news/college-student-targets-north-texas-bush-residence-1.2021432>The Richland Chronicle also quotes a journal entry where the young man explains how he planned to use his scholarship money to fund his attacks.

Speaking as someone who was directly affected by the 9/11 attacks, I'm extremely relieved that this guy was stopped before he could hurt anyone. However, I think claiming videogames inspired him is some incredibly irresponsible journalism, especially since there's no direct evidence showing that he actually played them.

I'm starting a betting pool on how long it'll take Fox News to start claiming the Resident Evil games teach people how to make bombs. Any takers?

Source: <a href=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1360298/Saudi-man-arrested-George-W-Bush-bomb-plot-emails-calling-jihad.html?ito=feeds-newsxml>Daily Mail, <a href=http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/alleged_saudi_bomb_plotter_pleads_wky1LwkQUWpMnbhVTmvYOI>New York Post, <a href=http://www.sify.com/news/saudi-jihadist-accused-of-plotting-to-kill-bush-had-passion-for-violent-video-games-news-international-lc0nuhddege.html>Sify via <a href=http://www.gamepolitics.com/2011/02/26/saudi-man-accused-targeting-former-president-pegged-039gamer039>GamePolitics

i got you for 50$ says Glen Beck is gonna relate RE to Nazism, 25$ that he gets that little hamster in his head to start moving and find the link between RE 5 and racism

Osaka117

Feb 20, 2011
To be fair, when I hear the voice acting of the early RE games, it makes me wanna kill people too.

Joking aside, as was said, this is super ridiculous. The RE series is one of my favorite gaming series ever, if not my favorite, and I don't want it associated with real life murderers.

JordanXlord

Mar 29, 2010
ok i must save the world

BY KILLING THE MEDIA

but serously

This is why i Hate Real life...Full of Idiotic morons

Mr. Eff_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2009
You guys will see the relevance when news is leaked of Bush's genetically modified super soldier/zombie program.

Just wait and see.

That's Funny

Jul 20, 2009
''Evil Resident'' Oh Daily Mail, how my hand lands on my face whenever you report 'News'.
And I thought bad headline names belonged to the Sun.

This is why I hate the Murdoch media.

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
I give Fox News a month. they always discover the big stories LONG after they're dead and buried. they're the incopetent Slowpoke of the News world

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
We seriously need to make laws that the press can't say shit if they haven't run it through a logic test... Correlation does not imply causation God Damnit!

Hell to pull a Godwin, Hitler was a vegetarian, that doesn't mean all vegetarian are mass murdering nutbags.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
How is a chemical-based improvised explosive a weapon of mass destruction? That's a weapon of vehicle destruction or small office destruction. I'd maybe grant that it would be an appropriate term if his list included a church on sunday morning, but still...

wtf?

BTW before you flame me for that, read it again and see that it's a joke and that you Completely Missed the Point. That won't change the fact that reading it will then compel you to rape people and make bombs, but still, it was a joke.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
well who saw this coming; the media blaming violence on video games yet again. a true shocker(sarcasm)
out of all seriousness did fox report this yet?

jhlip

Feb 17, 2011
I don't think Resident Evil teaches people how to make bombs, unless there is some sort of Easter Egg that does and I haven't heard about it.