Medieval Themed Movies You Ought to See...

vultureX21

Feb 26, 2009
chrisdibs said:
vultureX21 said:
chrisdibs said:
henry V (the one with olivier), hamlet (also with olivier), les visiteurs with jean reno in, ladyhawke ain't bad, a man for all seasons is a great film and won like 4 oscars or more, a lion in winter is also pretty decent and, finally, the immortal, black knight with martin lawrence; for showing us that medieval england really was full of black people. it's just weird that it's not mentioned in any books.
It's sort of like when they left Rufus out as the 13th apostle in the Bible.

And that's why I don't believe in Christianity.
no, i was being ironic; england wasn't full of black people in the middle ages. that isn't to say there wasn't a black apostle, it does seem possible, but i don't know about anything like that.
HAHAHAHA!

Go watch Dogma, thank me later.

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
vultureX21 said:
chrisdibs said:
vultureX21 said:
chrisdibs said:
henry V (the one with olivier), hamlet (also with olivier), les visiteurs with jean reno in, ladyhawke ain't bad, a man for all seasons is a great film and won like 4 oscars or more, a lion in winter is also pretty decent and, finally, the immortal, black knight with martin lawrence; for showing us that medieval england really was full of black people. it's just weird that it's not mentioned in any books.

no, i was being ironic; england wasn't full of black people in the middle ages. that isn't to say there wasn't a black apostle, it does seem possible, but i don't know about anything like that.
HAHAHAHA!

i've seen dogma, and i know it has a character called rufus, played by chris rock, who was the black apostle. i do not, however, take a film made by kevin smith as the fucking gospel on this matter. it is possible that there was a black apostle but as i have not read around the subject enough to have a proper opinion on the matter and so cannot say for certain that there was a black apostle or there wasn't, no one can. i don't see why there could not be one, though.
as for whether there were black people in england during the middle ages; there may have been a couple traders in the docks, but hardly any. that is pretty indisputable.

vultureX21

Feb 26, 2009
chrisdibs said:
vultureX21 said:
chrisdibs said:
vultureX21 said:
chrisdibs said:

HAHAHAHA!

i've seen dogma, and i know it has a character called rufus, played by chris rock, who was the black apostle. i do not, however, take a film made by kevin smith as the fucking gospel on this matter. it is possible that there was a black apostle but as i have not read around the subject enough to have a proper opinion on the matter and so cannot say for certain that there was a black apostle or there wasn't, no one can. i don't see why there could not be one, though.
as for whether there were black people in england during the middle ages; there may have been a couple traders in the docks, but hardly any. that is pretty indisputable.
Well, it was just a joke in response to the "black people in the middle ages" irony. I mean, Rock's indignation at being left out of the Bible is hilarious and I'd like to think any blacks who were in England in the middle ages would be just as annoyed at being omitted.

Incidentally, what would the PC term for a medieval English black person be? African-Anglican? Middle-Af-Ang? Anglafican?

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
vultureX21 said:
chrisdibs said:
vultureX21 said:
chrisdibs said:
vultureX21 said:
chrisdibs said:

HAHAHAHA!

Well, it was just a joke in response to the "black people in the middle ages" irony. I mean, Rock's indignation at being left out of the Bible is hilarious and I'd like to think any blacks who were in England in the middle ages would be just as annoyed at being omitted.

Incidentally, what would the PC term for a medieval English black person be? African-Anglican? Middle-Af-Ang? Anglafican?
i don't know, maybe a medi-anglo-african or a medi-afro-anglican, can't say i've ever given it too much thought

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
goater24 said:
Are you guys to young to remember Willow, man I loved that film as a kid!
I was avoiding bringing up fantasy movies like this, though I guess Ladyhawke has magic also. Oh well, if we're talking about any movie which has a castle, like Willow and Army of Darkness, then I guess we should also mention Merlin and even farther from the original topic, The 10th Kingdom. Oh hell, might as well bring up The Lord Of The Rings trilogy while we're at it. Completely accurate, even if not accurate with the books!

vultureX21

Feb 26, 2009
WanderFreak said:
13th Warrior is way too underrated. Sure, it has major problems, but it's just so damned good.
It does do a fantastic job ripping off of Beowulf and hating on Native Canadian tribes!

But in all honesty, it IS very underrated. I love the film.

gh0ti

Apr 10, 2008
Rooster Cogburn said:
vultureX21 said:
Henry V (1989)
I absolutely love this movie. Kenneth Branagh is unstoppable, and don't forget Brian Blessed! This movie proves that a big budget and garish special effects are not what makes a movie. I literally showed an aspiring film-maker this movie as an example of how to make a powerful film on a budget. You'll be glad they made it this way. Who wouldn't follow Kenneth Branagh- to Orleans or hell!

vultureX21 said:
Kingdom of Heaven (2005)
I didn't think much of this movie. It felt like they were deconstructing a morality play- and turning it into an opposite morality play. No insight or complexity there. I have heard (so take with a grain of salt) that big-business reared its ugly head, and changed the writer/director's vision. Supposedly, there is a much more interesting, accurate, and complex director's cut. I'm dying to see it, but I can't bring myself to shell out the pesos (so to speak).

I haven't seen any of the others, but because of your post, I will start looking out for them!
The DC of Kingdom of Heaven is a vast improvement on the theatrical cut, but it still inspires pretty damning criticism for its handling of the Crusades as essentially, one big misunderstanding. I think it's a great film, but its "can't we all just get along?" message feels a bit insidious in the current political climate.