Meet AlphaDog, Robotic Packmule Extraordinaire

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Earnest Cavalli said:
The really impressive bit is that AlphaDog doesn't need any kind of guidance when strolling alongside a group of soldiers. Instead its onboard sensors allow it to follow a designated "leader," both matching his/her pace and overcoming any obstacles that may present themselves.
Great way to single out one of the troops.

Spudgun Man

Oct 29, 2008
When it stood up from it's horisontal position I honestly shat my pants, now all they need to do is strap a 50 cal to it and we've got gun drones.

Rblade

Mar 1, 2010
the entire big dog thing is pretty "old" already but the refinements look awesome.

projects to make real walking robots and exoskeletons are making great steps the last couple of years. I've been to a seminar about "human engineering" and the advances in making things like force actuated exoskeletons, the kind that allow wheelchair bound people to walk again, at affordable prices is certainly something I kind wait to see getting introduced for public used. Cyborgs ftw.

certainly a great example of what current age robotics and control engineering can accomplish

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
Well... It sure isn't for Stealth Missions cause that thing is Noisy as hell, I hope it's just the ground maybe in sand or Snow it's better?

Course the WTF moments when someone first sees it would be priceless

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
OH FOR CHRISSAKE STOP SHOVING IT AROUND LIKE THAT YOU'RE MAKING IT ANGRY DO YOU WANT IT TO TURN ON YOU oh hey look it got back up.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Oddly it didn't creep me out at all, which was a little disappointing...

Seriously awesome design

Cormyre

Jun 11, 2010
Beryl77 said:
When those guys shoved it, I just thought that they're really mean, forgetting for a second that it doesn't think on it's own.
I had the same initial reaction, I mean it's rather like taking a toddler learning to walk and trying to kick it over... even if it is a creepy headless animal...

"come on Ike, kick the baby"

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Dr. McD said:
I can think of one reason, what if your side gets creeped out by it?
They wouldn't. The pre-mission bonding sessions would see to that. The robot would handled with the upmost secrecy, so that when the enemy first gazes upon its terrifying form, the enemies resolve would be completely destroyed.

There can be no room for cowards in the combined robot/human army of tomorrow!