Meet the Fledgling Rebel Alliance in Star Wars Rebels

Drake Barrow

Jan 10, 2010
The Expanded Universe was given up for...this?

Ok, sorry, it's not horrible. It's not the worst thing ever. It's ok. I do like that they have a Jedi who uses weapons besides the saber, it's shades of that one Force user tradition that focused on mundane combat methods like blasters and unarmed techniques. Ditto a non-evil Mandalorian. That's about the limit of my enjoyment of this.

Clone Wars was colorful, and had some extremely interesting bits to it. This thing strikes me as running up against one of the persistent criticisms of the EU: not telling a new story. Han Solo-esque smuggler type? Check. Big hairy bruiser? Check. Orphan kid with a destiny? Check, and check.

*sigh* I'm not really condemning this show. It just doesn't look like it was made for me. I might tune in out of sheer curiosity, but the base concept has failed to impress.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I squee'd a bit after recognizing some stuff from early Star Wars concept art.

Though I think they could add more detail and texture to the animation, since everything looks too plasticky at the moment. Also, there's the whole predictable team archetype that I've seen so much in Star Wars fiction. Still, I think I'll catch the pilot.

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
The animation is pretty bad, but the writing is painful. I really want to like it, but doesn't look like that is going to happen.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Smolderin said:
Why does it all have to be CGI....why can't it be gold ol' fashioned cartoon animation...that is..you know...well animated. I think a show taken from the same vain as something like the Legend of Korra would do well, at least quality wise. You remember that old Star Wars Clone Wars cartoon created by the same guy who made Samurai Jack? That was freaking awesome! The CGI Clone Wars that came after...while I will not say that good things didn't come out of it, it still didn't feel right to me.
YES

Plus it had the best Grevious, the one from the movie (and to a lesser extent the CGI series) was pathetic.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Toilet said:
This looks pretty good, better than the Clone Wars cartoon anyway. It reminds me more of the Tron cartoon in spirit.
Yeah, that Tron cartoon was pretty sweet. This looks pretty good. They nailed a lot of the details. As awesome as the Clone wars 2d was. It was very time consuming to make. Cgi is arguably easier.