Meet X-Men: Apocalypse's Younger Cyclops, Storm, and Jean Grey

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
Eh, I think McAvoy is good enough, he works with what he has. They've been trying so hard to show Prof X's character growth into the sagely old Professor we know that they started really far off the mark, making First Class's Professor basically the polar opposite. The plus side I guess, is that it'll only get better.
Oh definately, McAvoy is great, I just think he has slightly bigger shoes to fill acting wise.

The only casting decision I really take issue with is Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique, as well as the writers' decision to make her the 'younger sister/confused protegé' character.
Speaking of, is she returning as Mystique? I'm kind of on Bob's side about her; she just doesn't really appeal to me.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
The only casting decision I really take issue with is Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique, as well as the writers' decision to make her the 'younger sister/confused protegé' character.
I didn't mind the sister/brother thing myself in FC/DoFP, I thought it was kind of an interesting side story. Curious how she'll go in this though, she came off as an anti-hero at the end of DoFP rather than a straight up villain.

I'd never have picked Shipp to be 24 years old from that pick, but then again I'm terrible at guessing ages - especially for actresses.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Shinkicker444 said:
Casual Shinji said:
I didn't mind the sister/brother thing myself in FC/DoFP, I thought it was kind of an interesting side story. Curious how she'll go in this though, she came off as an anti-hero at the end of DoFP rather than a straight up villain.
I don't know, I like the rogue Mystique, the person who's not really on anyone's side but her own. Having her be Charles' adoptive sister just felt like a contrived way of putting a popular character from the previous movies back in the new ones.

It also makes her seem like a total moron in Days of Future Past for wanting to kill Trask knowing it'll basically bring forth the apocalypse. Maybe this could've worked if she herself got caught and tortured by Trask, but as is she just comes across like a pouty teenager.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Abomination said:
That's great news for Sophie, I always like seeing actors being able to play outside their potentially inevitable typecast role.

And damn she looks the part very well.

From a show where everybody dies to a character that always dies, sounds totally typecast to me :p

On a more serious note. I kind of like the idea of going back to younger versions of those characters. To me, Cyclops has always been a character with some really interesting aspects to him that always gets simplified to him just being a jerk. So I hope they have the intention to give him at least a little more depth. The movie version of Storm totally deserves a second chance as well.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
So are we slowly inching back to the present? Or are the X-Men films just going to be set in the late 20th century from now on? Honestly I kinda thought the point of DofP was resetting things in the present so that we could continue the series with a somewhat clean slate. I'm fine with geriatric X - Men. If they keep putting Arnold Schwartzenegger and Stalone in movies I think I can handle the original cast being in their 40s, but whatever.

008Zulu said:
I wonder if Quicksilver will be in it, his role in Days was easily one of the best things about that movie.
They made Quicksilver nearly unbeatable in DofP. Ya, he might be good for a funny scene here or there, but you can't really create any tense moments with a character who can put the badguy in handcuffs before he even has time to blink.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
So hang on a minute, this will be set 10 years after Days of Future Past... but 10 years AFTER the incident in the 70s, NOT after the frame narrative set in the future? So the story won't continue after the little epilogue in DofP, but rather sometime after Trask's failed assassination attempt but BEFORE the first X-Men movie? Except X1, X2 and X3 were written out of canon? If that makes any sense?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Olas said:
They made Quicksilver nearly unbeatable in DofP. Ya, he might be good for a funny scene here or there, but you can't really create any tense moments with a character who can put the badguy in handcuffs before he even has time to blink.
Someone like Iceman could lower the temperature to near freezing in a wide area, that's slow him him.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
I'm so tired of fucking teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeens!!!!

*ahem*

Teens are boring and stupid and they have boring and stupid problems.

Try comparing for example Iceman and Pyro with Nightcrawler or Jean Grey. Dont bring the tween BS into Xmen any more than it already is.... :(

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Glen Compton said:
shiajun said:
I don't know this Alexandra Shipp girl, but the one thing that reeeeeeally grated with me about Storm's character as portrayed by Halle Berry was the fact that she didn't even have a tinge of a foreign accent. She's not from the US, she's from Kenya, I believe. That was always one of her defining characterisitcs: in her home village she was not ostricized, she was worshipped as a goddess, but she always felt very burdened by that role, which made her a very controlled person. That NEVER comes accross in the X-men movies, she's just a regular citizen of the United States with mutant powers.
Go reread Uncanny x-men #102. Storm is HALF kenyan, born in new york and raised in harlem before they moved back to her mother's home country which was kenya. Her father was an american journalist.
Nothing about an american actress would be completely out of character for her.
I didn't remember that tiny detail. I also did some googling.Indeed, she was born in the US but the whole family moved to Cairo at the tender age of 6 months old. Ororo didn't set a foot back in a native english country until she was much, much older. Her native english father also died when she was very, very young. I say all this because in the comics she was also written with some kind of not-native details in the dialogue, like Gambit's creole text, or Colossus's russian words peppered throughout. I have no problem with the actress being american, just with there not being a hint that most of Storm's life and upbringing had nothing to do with the United States and molded a different personality that what has come into the movies. I'm not surprised though, with Fox's now legendary reworking of these characters.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
I don't know, I like the rogue Mystique, the person who's not really on anyone's side but her own. Having her be Charles' adoptive sister just felt like a contrived way of putting a popular character from the previous movies back in the new ones.

It also makes her seem like a total moron in Days of Future Past for wanting to kill Trask knowing it'll basically bring forth the apocalypse. Maybe this could've worked if she herself got caught and tortured by Trask, but as is she just comes across like a pouty teenager.
Hmm, perhaps her being on her own side could work still. Even though, for an origin of her being Xavier's "sister" was fine with me, then growing into the distrusting person she is now as the conclusion.

As for Trask I think that's a little unfair, we have the knowledge of knowing the outcome of her actions she doesn't. She's bitter, and angry and wants mutants free of being chained. To her Trask is the problem, getting rid of him solves said problem. An incorrect assessment on her part but she doesn't seem to be thinking terribly rationally at that point. Well with what I can remember anyways, it's been a while since I've seen the movie.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
008Zulu said:
Olas said:
Someone like Iceman could lower the temperature to near freezing in a wide area, that's slow him him.
Yaaaa.... suuure.....

Even if I accept what I'm guessing is comic book physics, you're basically just fixing the problem that his powers cause by using someone else's powers to cancel them out. His whole thing is that he's fast, if we have to find some gimmick to slow him down every time then why even bother with him?

I think Quicksolver's probably going to suffer the same fate as nightcrawler, being shelved because, despite how cool he is, his powers are simply OP and solve every problem far too easily.

Glen Compton

May 31, 2014
shiajun said:
I didn't remember that tiny detail. I also did some googling.Indeed, she was born in the US but the whole family moved to Cairo at the tender age of 6 months old. Ororo didn't set a foot back in a native english country until she was much, much older. Her native english father also died when she was very, very young. I say all this because in the comics she was also written with some kind of not-native details in the dialogue, like Gambit's creole text, or Colossus's russian words peppered throughout. I have no problem with the actress being american, just with there not being a hint that most of Storm's life and upbringing had nothing to do with the United States and molded a different personality that what has come into the movies. I'm not surprised though, with Fox's now legendary reworking of these characters.
Well, further to that point I would say it is easier to readapt to an accent you previously had, Harlem also has a distinct accent, and it probably would stand out as well.

I actually just finished filling in a couple of those issues in my collection, including 102, so it was in the front of my mind. Also it is the first issue to really explore her as a character, and I really liked it!