Mega Man Anniversary Collection(PS2)

Amisbro

Nov 26, 2008
This is the second of three reviews for the day(You lucky people) and this particular review deals with one of my favorite game series' and a compilation that came out a few years back for the PS2 and XBOX called "Mega Man Anniversary Collection"!

How many of us remember the first time we saw the image of a guy in a blue robot suit shooting an arm cannon at a robot to try and blast him into oblivion? Well Capcom wanted us to be able to relive the games from years past in the 2003 compilation that started with Mega Man and went into two unreleased games that needed to be unlocked by beating certain bosses in the other Mega Man games.

A few noticable differences that you'll see in the disc is that a lot of the music was remixed for disc to bring the music up the the standards of now which is very appreciable and you can still write down passwords should you choose but the game does autosave your progress except for when you are in Wily's castle. That must be completed in one sitting regardless or else you start back at the beginning in every game beyond the first one. You are also given the option of playing in "normal" or "easy" difficulty and the difference is that if you get hit you get knocked back further and get more damage dealt in one hit as opposed to the other. You can also choose to start with 3 or 5 lives and use a "navi" to help your direction and it also alerts you of dangerous sections(The trains in Gutsman's level rings a bell).

You can also unlock other secrets by completing tasks in the games and if you want to be a true Mega Man GOD you better be willing to run the gauntlet of all 8 games even when the 2 PS games don't come CLOSE to matching up to the 6 NES games! I think on a personal level they tried to hard with those games on the Playstation or it could be that they were working on the "X" series and were trying to make one as good as the other. One can also argue that these 8 games were "easier" than the X series but that was mainly because one could figure out their "boss fighting order" and then just about sleepwalk through the games. I found that there is a good boss order for Mega Man 3 that makes more sense as I sit here and type this review and as a bonus for this review I'll give that up to ya in a second.

If you asked me to put in order the Mega Man games I would play and in what order it goes like this OK?

Mega Man 3
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 4
Mega Man 1
Mega Man 5
Mega Man 6, 7 and 8 in that order

The shock is to see the original in the middle as opposed to the other games games but what I found was that actually had something that wasn't needed in it that the other games didn't: A Bloody scoreboard! What is the purpose of having that unless its to give extra lives when you reach certain plateaus and even then what would have been the "magic number" to get one? At least "The Guardian Legend"(A review coming up tomorrow btw) had a purpose for its scoreboard and here's a spoiler about that review: Its one of my "Elite"!

Mega Man has sustained for such a long time that its mindblowing and with 9 out on Wiiware, PSN, and that XBOX service that I refuse to mention by name starting today one can hope that the "Blue Bomber's" legacy will continue for years to come

Recommendation: BUY IT!!!

------------------------------------------------------

Mega Man 3 Boss Fight Orders

Order #1/Part 1

Hard Man
Top Man
Shadow Man
Spark Man
Snake Man
Gemini Man
Neddle Man
Magnet Man

Order #1/Part 2

Shadow Man's two bosses
Spark Man's two bosses
Gemini Man's Two Bosses
Neddle Man's two bosses

Order #2/Part 1

Magnet Man
Hard Man
Top Man
Shadow Man
Spark Man
Snake Man
Gemini Man
Needle Man

(Part 2 remains as is)

The Black Adder

Sep 14, 2008
Thanks, I was going to buy this but I think I'll go for the Mega Man X Collection because I haven't played anything after X4. Though I think that the 5 lives thing and the danger detector sound a little lame but I guess they need to make changes to appeal to kids that are used to how easy most games are today. I remember the good old days when the pictures on the box didn't even match the game. Didn't the cover of Mega Man 1 and 2 have him with a pistol in his hand and not a arm blaster? I think Mega Man 3 was the first game to show Rockman with the arm buster. And is Mega Man right handed or left handed?

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
The Black Adder said:
And is Mega Man right handed or left handed?
Generally he's shown with his blaster arm coming from his right arm, but I think it may of been his left arm a few times and not just sprite wise.

Edited

The Black Adder

Sep 14, 2008
Lucane said:
The Black Adder said:
And is Mega Man right handed or left handed?
Generally he's shown with his blaster arm coming from his right arm, but I think it may of been his left are a few times and not just sprite wise.
Yeah I was talking about the cover boxes for the original Mega Man games. I think it was 5 that had the buster on the left hand.