Mega Man Creator Says Crowdfunding Changes the Industry

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Mega Man Creator Says Crowdfunding Changes the Industry

Keiji Inafune's Mighty No. 9 took Kickstarter by storm, giving him more control over his game and helping him connect to fans.

The spiritual successor to Mega Man, Mighty No. 9 will be on Kickstarter accepting donations for seven more days. With an initial goal of $900,000, the project recently passed its $2.2 million stretch goal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127877-Mighty-No-9-Hits-2-2M-Secures-Current-Gen-Console-Release] and will be released on current-gen consoles. The project has reached about $2.45 million today. The success of Mighty No. 9's Kickstarter campaign has prompted Keiji Inafune, creator of Mega Man and Mighty No. 9 to reflect on both crowdfunding and the impact Mega Man has on people's lives.

When creating a game, developers traditionally don't have direct contact with fans. Inafune told Polygon when he goes to an event to sign things, he doesn't know how many people are there to get their game signed and treasure it or "just put my signature on eBay." Things have changed with crowdfunding. Kickstarter allows developers to get immediate feedback from fans. "The fans are here taking the risk ahead of time. This project made me realize how big an influence Mega Man has had on people," Inafune said.

The success of the project's crowdfunding campaign signals a change in the Japanese game industry, Inafune said. Creators have more control over their own work when they crowdfund.

"Until now, whenever a creator creates, the publisher controls the IP," Inafune said. "Now I'm in a position that I'm able to create and grow something on my own."

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/23/4754384/keiji-inafune-mighty-no-9-interview-tgs]

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
I have to admit, I've never been a big Mega Man guy myself, so Inafune's never really been a big blip on my radar. But I'm really impressed with the guy after all I've seen surrounding this Kickstarter campaign. I'm looking forward to seeing how his game turns out.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I'm a huge Mega Man fan and even a bigger fan of Mega Man X so yeah I like what Inafune has done for the gaming industry and I'm of the few that believe that Mega Man 9 and 10 were a step backwards, so I'm really excited that Mighty No.9 will be coming to current gen consoles with updated graphics and actually moving the gameplay forward instead of going back to the restrictions of 8bit graphics

Mister Chippy

Jun 12, 2013
GZGoten said:
I'm a huge Mega Man fan and even a bigger fan of Mega Man X so yeah I like what Inafune has done for the gaming industry and I'm of the few that believe that Mega Man 9 and 10 were a step backwards, so I'm really excited that Mighty No.9 will be coming to current gen consoles with updated graphics and actually moving the gameplay forward instead of going back to the restrictions of 8bit graphics
As a fellow Megaman fanatic I agree. Of course I loved 9 & 10 because "Hey, it's something!", but I was unimpressed with their removal of parts of the gameplay. I was fine with the graphics, because even though they could have been better, at least they didn't try going forward into the future and wind up looking worse than before like what happened with Starforce. Also, nostalgia is a powerful thing.

I'm really really hyped for this game. We Megaman fans are some of the most devoted fans around, but we're so used to our favorite character getting treated like dirt by Capcom. Now that Inafune has said enough is enough, I'm more than happy to rally behind someone who obviously cares as much about Megaman as I do.

Kittyhawk

Aug 2, 2012
Yep and that's why crowd funding rules. Creative freedom for the creator and cool stuff for those who back their projects. Its not a surprise either that the more original indie games are coming from Kickstarter, whereas some high end industry product is lacking ideas.

Risk equals reward.

The best thing about it is empowering individuals rather than large companies.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
Pc version? Can't seem to find anything confirming or denying this. Would gladly throw down a bit of cash if there is a pc version planned.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Robert Marrs said:
Pc version? Can't seem to find anything confirming or denying this. Would gladly throw down a bit of cash if there is a pc version planned.
Mighty No. 9 was gonna be on PC the entire time, the stretch goals they had gets the games onto the consoles. Right now they've reached the goal to where Mighty No. 9 will be on the PS3, 360, and Wii U.

OT: I'm hoping this game turns out really well.

Sep 14, 2009
Kittyhawk said:
Yep and that's why crowd funding rules. Creative freedom for the creator and cool stuff for those who back their projects. Its not a surprise either that the more original indie games are coming from Kickstarter, whereas some high end industry product is lacking ideas.

Risk equals reward.

The best thing about it is empowering individuals rather than large companies.
yepp gotta agree, and to be honest, work productivity rates tend to be much higher when you are working for/with something you are passionate about, rather than just to meet that next paycheck. (not saying that's how it is with every publisher, but it's been that way with some)

I'd much rather put 15-20 bucks towards something that i'm sure i'd LOVE then to put 60 dollars towards your normal AAA game where i'll probably just go "meh...it's something i suppose."

Not saying kickstarter is perfect, it sure as heck has risks and slight downfalls about it, but hey it's getting publishers on their toes i think.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Robert Marrs said:
The game was initially planned as a PC-exclusive. It's only because of stretch goals that it's getting console releases.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
I think crowdfunding is just sort of there and allows for fun games to be created sometimes. So where's my front page article?

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
He's right. And I'm proud to be a supporter of Mighty No. 9 and the other Kickstarter projects I've backed.

The relationship between creators and fans isn't how it should be. There's all sorts of middle management that gets in the way and a lot of gamers are lethargic from how little their voice matters. As well as, clearly, creators themselves.

I'd love to see Kickstarter create a paradigm shift. Where creators and fans both win. By creators making games they want to make, and fans happily funding games they want to exist. This is how the industry should work to begin with, but sadly, does not.