Mega Millions

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
So, here in the United States right now, the Mega Millions lottery jackpot is at an all-time high - $640 million. There's a bit of a craze over it - a lot of people at my work and friends on Facebook are talking about it, and many have bought tickets. I even caved and bought a couple tickets a while ago. And the drawing is tonight.

So, have any of you guys bought any tickets? Or have any interesting related stories to share? For instance, one of my sister's friends on FB that lives in another state said he saw a guy buy 150 tickets.

Or, you can share what you would do with the winnings.

Me, I would try to not go crazy. I would get all of my family out of debt, and buy them all a new house and/or car (and myself, natch). And then maybe I'd go back to school and then work as an artist like I've always dreamed.

Dec 14, 2009
Not a fan of lotteries.

Considering I've got more chance of being hit by a meteor.

That's on fire.

Also the meteor is made of diamonds...

Also, the meteor is electrified after passing through a storm...

Also, the meteor is the home of a sentient race of super badgers...

Also, the badgers are made of chocolate...

Gizmo

May 4, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Not a fan of lotteries.

That's on fire.

I was under the impression that the meteor was also being pulled by super giant mutant unicorns with monocles, top hats and they too were on fire.

Dec 14, 2009
Gizmo said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Not a fan of lotteries.

That's on fire.

I was under the impression that the meteor was also being pulled by super giant mutant unicorns with monocles, top hats and they too were on fire.
Their union was on strike after the intergalactic super truffles reduced their radioactive mega dome, their wig wham off a woofing engine was compromised through theorhetical omniversal overdrive.

Gizmo

May 4, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Gizmo said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Not a fan of lotteries.

That's on fire.

Their union was on strike after the intergalactic super truffles reduced their radioactive mega dome, their wig wham off a woofing engine was compromised through theorhetical omniversal overdrive.
Of course, I knew there must of been a reason. I'm sure in spirit they're participating in full force.

Captcha: Thunder Storm. This may of something to do with things as well.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Never bought a lottery ticket. I figure there's a reason some people refer to it as the "stupid tax."

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Jedoro said:
Never bought a lottery ticket. I figure there's a reason some people refer to it as the "stupid tax."
I wonder what people that have won think of this phrase?

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I don't usually buy lottery tickets, but I think I'd make an exception to that if we had a jackpot that high

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
ThaBenMan said:
Jedoro said:
It's a bunch of poor people spending what little spare money they have in hopes of a miracle. One of those poor people wins it, the government takes about half of it in taxes, and the rest are now even poorer for nothing. Compared to everyone else who plays and loses, the opinion of a handful isn't worth much. Yay, your life's infinitely better, but now it's going to encourage people to hope it's their turn for a miracle, which leads to them getting shot down and being a bit poorer and more miserable than before.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
ThaBenMan said:
You should play, and find out. There's always a chance you'll win.

You won't, of course. But there's a chance!

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
You just know that some old already well off bastard is going to win it anyways so i don't see what all the fuss is about.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Jedoro said:
ThaBenMan said:
Jedoro said:
It's a bunch of poor people spending what little spare money they have in hopes of a miracle. One of those poor people wins it, the government takes about half of it in taxes, and the rest are now even poorer for nothing. Compared to everyone else who plays and loses, the opinion of a handful isn't worth much. Yay, your life's infinitely better, but now it's going to encourage people to hope it's their turn for a miracle, which leads to them getting shot down and being a bit poorer and more miserable than before.
It is unfortunate when you look at it that way. The companies do urge everyone to "play responsibly", so if you really are spending all the money you have left on it, then that's no good. The way I look at it is, you can just spend a few bucks and have a bit of fun.

Dec 14, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
ThaBenMan said:

I love how small the chances of winning are.

I mean, I'm statiscally more likely to trip over a briefcase with a couple of million in it, than actually winning it through a ticket.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
ThaBenMan said:
Jedoro said:
ThaBenMan said:
Jedoro said:
It is unfortunate when you look at it that way. The companies do urge everyone to "play responsibly", so if you really are spending all the money you have left on it, then that's no good. The way I look at it is, you can just spend a few bucks and have a bit of fun.
And it'd be nice if people did just do that, but the poorer you are, the better that jackpot looks, and the more willing you are to risk what little you have to win it.
Daystar Clarion said:
BloatedGuppy said:
ThaBenMan said:

I love how small the chances of winning are.

I mean, I'm statiscally more likely to trip over a briefcase with a couple of million in it, than actually winning it through a ticket.
Citation needed, but only because I want to know my odds of becoming a millionaire by walking down the street.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
I haven't bought any tickets but if I did and I won. With that kind of money I would do pranks like break into a family's house and cover all the walls in gold leaf, or fill their toaster with diamonds. Stuff like that.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
I only buy a lottery ticket if the jackpot is 300 million +. It's fun to think "I have a chance" every now and again.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Jedoro said:
The ironic thing about that is a good chunk of the money goes to education in the state.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
640 mill?

yeah i got a ticket, i have no illusions of winning though, but can't win if you don't play

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
While the odds of winning the lottery are extremely small and generally a waste of money, I'll buy a ticket when the jackpot is obscenely large.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
My mother mentioned she'd like to buy a ticket. I'm not sure she did though. Not much opportunity, perhaps.

I watched this show that's about lottery winners and what their lives are like now. During the commercial break, it gave us trivia.

Such as you have a higher chance of being attacked by a shark than you do winning the lottery.