Megaupload Blames U.S. Government For Massive Data Wipe

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Kamille Bidan said:
Baldr said:
There is such thing as criminal copyright under federal law. United States Code Title 18 Section 2319. Even New Zealand has criminal copyright laws.

I am one of the victims of Megaupload, I put in several complaints against them not taking down my companies copyright material, in which they did nothing about. I'm not some multimillion dollar corporation. They got what they deserved.
As for your first point, I'm aware of that, I'm saying there shouldn't be. Copyright is a civil dispute. If you violate someone else's copyright then they have every right to sue you for everything you've got (although I'm against over-zealous copyright protection exhibited by companies like Disney and such-like). What they should not do is use the criminal justice system to throw you in jail, especially since the Justice system has bigger things to worry about than whether or not a guy distributed DVD Rips of Seinfeld and copyright infringement is, by strict definition, not theft. Prisons are crowded as is.

As for your second point, I sympathise. However, as far as 'deserving' it goes, I don't think that Megaupload should be shut down and the data of millions of legitimate users lost (to a corrupt government who will undoubtedly abuse this data) just because big businesses are afraid that a small minority of people would rather pirate the latest Transformers movie than buy a ticket.
No it not a small minority of people, and it doesn't effect just "big businesses".

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/04/29/game-dev-tycoon-creator-punishes-pirates-with-in-game-bankruptcy/
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2010/08/machinarium-suffers-95-piracy-rate-offers-5-amnesty-sale/
http://2dboy.com/2008/11/13/90/
http://digitalbattle.com/2012/01/31/letter-from-an-indie-pc-developer-regarding-piracy/

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
slash2x said:
Why would you cite the bombings and call us sore losers? We didn't lose that war! In fact, that was the one where we were actually considered good and decent.

OT: America gets sore at losing, finds mile-high lawsuit on its doorstep for fucking shit up. Justice? Served.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
To everyone bemoaning the death of Megaupload, you do know that there are at least like 50 other filehosting networks that are still doing the same stuff right?

Personally I miss Oron more than Megaupload.

But the people with the files you want just post them on different hosts. Personally all you would really need to do to stop a LARGE portion of piracy is to mandate that these filehosting sites REQUIRE you to sign up and provide valid billing info to access their service.

As it is every one of them has free downloads, but make you wait a min for a slow download speed with a pop up or 2. Oh noes! I might have to wait a few more minutes to get my goodies, I better give this shady web site dealing in stolen IPs my credit card info!

I guarantee, you put a pay wall in front of people and enforce it....nothing will happen I was just kidding. You can't stop piracy. The harder you try, the more widely and openly your crap is distributed.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Wow... that's... terrible. Think of all the data that might be permanently lost, or at the very least made that much more rare now! It kind of hurts thinking about it. Imagine if you'd backed up some important files, things you'd had for years, only to have them taken away when people were fighting to prove their name so you could have access to it again? Eugh.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
slash2x said:
masticina said:
Americans are SORE losers...

Very SORE losers
Yeah we really are [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_bombings_of_Hiroshima_and_Nagasaki]
Really? You're using THAT as your example? Really?!

My inner historian is jumping up and down screaming right now.

You do realize the Allies were winning the war handily by then, right? The issue wasn't snatching victory from the jaws of defeat, it was debating whether to use a weapon that could potentially (and did) end the war quickly and save countless lives in the long run.

Go read the projected casualty figures for the proposed conventional invasion of the Japanese home islands. Figures easily run into the millions for most calculations due to the fanatical nature of the hard-line Japanese military leaders. It was projected to be such a bloodbath that nearly 500,000 Purple Hearts were manufactured in anticipation of the invasion. Because of this, there has been no need to make any more Purple Hearts for post-WWII conflicts. Indeed, there are still over 100,000 of them that haven't been awarded yet.

Also, people didn't really know just how horrific of a weapon atomics were at this point. Those in the know were aware of its short term destructive potential, but they only had a vague idea at best of the long term dangers (radiation, cancer, acid rain, birth defects, etc.). This was back in the days when farmers were still using DDT indiscriminately and burying smudge pots in their backyard. The prevailing mindset was "if it doesn't kill me right away, it's harmless."

Back on-topic, this definitely makes me uncomfortable if the claims are true. The dust hasn't even settled yet on the NSA's surveillance program, and now they're pulling this shit?

AngelBlackChaos

Aug 3, 2010
Baldr said:
Andy Chalk said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
Alot of there stuff they had was illegal and pirated stuff wasn't it? So they can hardly complain stuff was deleted illegally when they allowed people to upload illegal stuff. Funny how criminals break the law to make money, but then quote the law when it suits them.
So if somebody rents a storage locker and puts heroin in it, everyone else with lockers in the same facility should lose all their stuff when he gets busted?
The government didn't erase the stuff, the company did. When the storage company dumps all the lockers after a bust, you have a beef with the storage company, not the Government.
They froze assets from megaupload that many legitimate customers paid for to have their stuff stored there. The government refused to comply with keeping the servers open, or letting assets of the defendant be used to keep it open for investigation...seriously?

I have a friend who still doesn't get to get her gun back that was stolen from her, purely because they are still looking to see if it was used in other crimes. Its been months, there wasn't any reported shootings in the area around that time, but still.

completely reminds me of this.

Symion

Aug 30, 2012
Baldr said:
I am one of the victims of Megaupload, I put in several complaints against them not taking down my companies copyright material, in which they did nothing about. I'm not some multimillion dollar corporation. They got what they deserved.
While Megaupload LTD is no group of saints, (as some of their smaller sites like megavideo regularly featured pirated content) supporting this gross abuse of the law that the U.S. Government has perpetrated for the sole purpose of making an example is foolish for any content creator as it lends precedence to policies that hurt numerous strata of content creation (just look at the numerous cases of DMCA take-down abuse on youtube for precedence).

While MU LTD may have: "got what they deserved." in your eyes, I highly doubt that you believe that artists (in the music and video creation field) who used MU as their off-site backup deserved to suddenly have a portion of their livelihood sealed off without regard for their rights as users. I myself have sent clients exclusive content they commissioned over megaupload links (due to their familiarity with the site) and while I now have comprehensive on-site backups of such content there were months where the MU link was the only definitive copy of what they paid for.

As for your note on you being "...one of the victims of Megaupload.": I can tell you from my experiences as being a fairly active enabler of pirates (I used to serve illegal game downloads over high-speed dcc transfers on IRC) and having now shifted into a content creation role in my business that there is a solid core of pirates that have reasons/excuses for pirating that you can reach for the right price and distribution channels (I now spend hundreds of dollars on Steam on a seasonal basis and have purchased copies of every game I've ever pirated as Steam lets me bypass the ridiculous pricing scheme for imported games in my country), one of your links in post #41 even has a company coming to this realization and compromising with such a group to make them consumers instead of pirates, but beyond this there is the outer shell of pirates who never had intention to pay for the content and never shall. Realistically, this second group does not count as a lost sale.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Funny how some people still think US laws apply everywhere.

Also, for all the piracy screamers in here, ever stop to think that doawnloading might be LEGAL is some countries.

Hell, since last January for every data storage device i buy (smartphone / mp3 player, that sort of stuff) they charge a tax because i might download stuff.

Then if i buy a cd(or online download) i also need to pay tax over that.

Uploading however is illegal

Disclaimer: of course i do not practice piracy nor do i suggest anyone should do it.

Madgamer13

Sep 20, 2010
So, the destruction of the LeaseWeb servers hosting evidence in the megaupload stuff was destroyed, denying evidence to American courts and this is somehow the American Government's fault?

I don't believe that, destroying evidence regardless of whether it proves guilt or not can only strengthen Dotcom's position, it also gives him something to use against the American Judicial system.

This thing is getting silly.

Nov 28, 2007
I love being American. Any time anything happens in a legal case, if someone with a clear beef with the U.S. government blames the U.S. government, everyone automatically assumes his side of the story is the accurate one. I'm not saying that they aren't to blame, mind you. But right now, everyone is automatically taking his word at face value. Maybe we should wait until LeaseWeb says something before we draw conclusions that the American government is corrupt, shall we?

Dr. Thrax

Dec 5, 2011
Madgamer13 said:
So, the destruction of the LeaseWeb servers hosting evidence in the megaupload stuff was destroyed, denying evidence to American courts and this is somehow the American Government's fault?

I don't believe that, destroying evidence regardless of whether it proves guilt or not can only strengthen Dotcom's position, it also gives him something to use against the American Judicial system.

This thing is getting silly.
As others have said, if the US Government had seized all MU's assets and refused to release funds sufficient enough to cover their server bills, then yes, they are in part responsible for the deletion of all data on LeaseWeb's servers. Preservation of evidence is an absolute necessity in a trial, and by refusing to prevent the deletion of the data on LeaseWeb's servers, the US Government has failed. Any evidence, either to exonerate or convict him, is now lost, and depending on how further trial goes, this may actually put the case at risk, due to the destruction of potentially key evidence.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
masticina said:

Very SORE losers
Yes because American's in general are responsible for this... Try not to be a bigot. I know my government is responsible for some horrific stuff, but don't blame me for it. I've been against this the whole time, as I have many other US Government agendas.

OT: The information on those servers should have been preserved for the purposes of the court case. As for why they were not, I have no idea. Perhaps one of the government officials overseeing this had some information in all of that data that they didn't want to get out?

Captcha: have an inkling

Indeed Captcha, Masticina needs to have an inkling of what actually occurs here instead of throwing a blanket statement out.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
Porter Humbert said:
masticina said:

Very SORE losers
Don't blame the general population for what the government does. We have little to no control over what politicians do.
That is what I fear most.
Politics always seems to confusing. I'm sure there is some way to affect it.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Sounds to me like Leaseweb was just covering their arse. They heard one of their clients was under legal proceedings for data held on their servers, and decided to act before they got dragged down with them. No U.S. Government strong arming necessary, just business as usual.

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
Bevin Warren said:
Fox12 said:
slash2x said:
masticina said:

Very SORE losers
Yeah we really are [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_bombings_of_Hiroshima_and_Nagasaki]

OT:

Wow... Just WOW... "Hey you there fishing in that lake without a license!!!! We do not know where you live so we will burn every house and boat next to or on the lake!!!! OK lets take a look... Innocent,Innocent,Innocent,Innocent..... YEAH WE GOT THE GUY BREAKING THE LAW TOO!!!!!"

Our legal system is so fucking retarded... Next thing you know we will be arresting people for buying water that looks like it is in a beer box....... Awww shit.
I'll probably be crucified for this, but the Hiroshima/Nagasaki attack was actually pretty defendable. Some people have claimed that the Japanese wanted to surrender, but that's been pretty much debunked. The Japanese military was prepared to fight to the end. If the United States had invaded the nation, an estimated 3 million people would have died, as opposed to the 300,000 that died from the blast. More people died in the firebombing campaign of the Japanese capital than died in the atomic blast, the same fire bombing campaigns that had leveled half of Europe. If that campaign had continued, the results would have been far more deadly. The fire bombings just don't have the psychological affects of a nuclear weapon. We also warned the Japanese of out intentions (though we didn't list specific targets).

Keep in mind that the Japanese military basically asked for this. No, I'm not talking about Pearl Harbor, though it was foolish of them to involve another nation in the conflict. Japan seemed to think war with the U.S. was inevitable, when it was not a foregone conclusion. Instead I'm referring to the Japanese war crimes against the Chinese, war crimes so brutal that they put the Nazis to shame. I won't even hint at the horrors committed, but if you want to know more, read The Rape of Nanking for a more detailed account.

Therefore the Japanese refused an unconditional surrender, an attack on mainland Japan would have cost more lives on both sides, and the Japanese had committed horrible atrocities against their enemies. I'm not saying they "deserved" it, but they definitely put themselves in a position where there was almost no other option. Several million deaths is worse than several hundred thousand, and I feel that the event gets undue publicity due to it being the only time that nuclear weapons have ever been used. How many people died in the bombing in Europe? Far more, but people seem to think that it was more justified, so we forget about it.

I think the real villain was the Japanese military, and it's still a tragedy that civilians died in the attack. The U.S. wasn't sinless either, don't get me wrong. We imprisoned the entire Japanese American population due to racism and committed other terrible crimes as well, so we weren't saints. I just don't believe, at that point, that there was another viable option. It's also strange that far worse war crimes were committed by both the Axis and the Allies, but most people seem to forget about them.
Fox12 - I agree with you and so will any competent military historian
Except the ones that know the Russians were on their way to help finish Japan and the US didn't want to split Japan the way they had to split Germany and so the US dropped the bombs to crush the morale of the Japanese.