Megaupload Suing Universal Over Pulled YouTube Video

alandavidson

Jun 21, 2010
Grey Carter said:

Snip
Here are some fun facts for The Escapist readers and staff.

1. The commercial had to be produced under Screen Actor's Guild (SAG) contract, because many of the performers are members of SAG.

2. Under SAG contract, those appearing on screen MUST sign release forms prior to being filmed.

3. will.i.am's claim that he "never gave permission" to appear in the video cannot hold up in court, as he had to sign a release form prior to stepping on set.

4. The artists will get residuals from the video for as long as it plays.

5. Universal's claim that an artist appeared in the video without authorization can only hold water if they own all rights to the artist's image and likeness.

So basically, Universal is screwed. Sadly, this will be another long and painful court battle for Google, and it will do nothing but hurt consumers.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Jerram Fahey said:
First you gloat about being ignorant of pop culture, then you proclaim it sucks; a claim an ignorant person would be incapable of doing.

Seems to me you're just riding the "let's hate on pop culture" bandwagon because it's the popular thing to do. How ironic.
I wasn't gloating, I was explaining how someone can be ignorant, but still insult it.

One can still be ignorant of names, and still catch enough content in their daily life to know whether they think something is stupid or not. Hell, I can blanket statement about hating an entire generation based on the popularity of Rap (Which is pretty much what I am doing).

I care not for popularity or what other people think of me. If I did, I'd probably be much less of an asshole.

That being said, you can think I hate shit because other people hate shit all you like. I know I hate shit because it's shit, and that's all I need to sleep at night.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
anyone blocking youtube videos should be sued. then shot. then sued again.

iRevanchist

Jun 11, 2011
I have never seen stars sell themselves out this much, this pathetically.
Grey Carter said:
A second takedown notice came from will.i.am, bespectacled member of infuriating pop-rap-goblin-horde The Black Eyed Peas. According to his attorney, will.i.am never gave permission for his appearance in the video. Which does seem rather strange considering that, at around the 25 second mark, he stares earnestly into the camera and says "When I gotta' send files across the globe, I use Megaupload." Presumably that just came up in regular conversation.

Source: Wired [http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/12/megaupload-v-universal/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Index+3+%28Top+Stories+2%29%29]

Yeah, I'm sure he just mentioned it in passing while talking about the weather to his friends *rolls eyes*

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
samsonguy920 said:
5. Universal's claim that an artist appeared in the video without authorization can only hold water if they own all rights to the artist's image and likeness.
Moreover, this is an issue between Universal and the artist. MegaUpload's not in the wrong here.

Tho anyone who says MegaUpload isn't a scurvy hive of scum and villainy really is naive.

Soods

Jan 6, 2010

All hail Universal, removing crap from internets one song at a time! Friday next, please!

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
For the record,I use "When I gotta' send files across the globe, I use Megaupload" quite a lot in my everyday conversation and I also like to stair into cameras so there is always that.

Soods said:
*obnoxious big picture without a spoiler around it*
All hail Universal, removing crap from internets one song at a time! Friday next, please!
Please take the door to the left and leave internet if you think what they did is even slightly good, this basically means they can start throwing around take down notice on all the SOPA and Protect IP protest videos since youtube can't stop them without loosing their immunity.

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
In all honesty, I think the Megaupload jingle's better than most of the work of the artists involved. Maybe they should do a Band-aid.

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
So basically, Universal said "Someone is singing!? AND WE DON'T OWN THE RIGHTS TO IT!? Blasphemy! Take it down immediately.

Sorry Universal, just from a Business sense, you make Kim Jong-Il look like a fair and well informed man. Jus' sayin' is all.

You don't own everything Universal, stop IRL trolling >_<