Memorable game OST's and background music?

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
You know what really makes the Ace Attorney series? The courtroom confrontation scenes. And yes, the "OBJECTION!" plays into that, but the thing that makes it so satisfying is the aftermath, when the "witness" doubles down on some oversight in their testimony, the main character calmly says that can't be the case. And then "Cornered" starts playing as they aggressively explain why...THAT TESTIMONY CANNOT BE TRUE!

It's just so satisfying to hear that playing as the verbal jousting reaches its climax.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
I could easily spend hours here linking all the video game songs I love and my reasons for them, so I'll have to try and narrow it down.

A recent example would be "Weight of The World" from NieR: Automata, specifically the Ending E version.

That part when the choir kicks in man. When I first got to that part it really got to me on an emotional level that most games just don't do for me these days.

This game was such a great experience.

Yoshi

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
This is another good one, a desert rock-focused OST. I particularly like "Do I look Okay To You?" at 33:39

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
From LISA

It's memorable, if nothing else.
Is that based on an older song? I swear I have heard that before but I haven't gotten to Lisa yet. I want to say it sounds like something from a square game, but I'm not sure.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Is that based on an older song? I swear I have heard that before but I haven't gotten to Lisa yet. I want to say it sounds like something from a square game, but I'm not sure.
Not that I know of. The vocals are provided by Delin from Shenmue 2, however.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Not that I know of. The vocals are provided by Delin from Shenmue 2, however.
HA, ok, here, it sounds like a slower version of this at parts. WOOOOO, I am awesome.

And I'll throw this in to add another awesome game song.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I absolutely LOVE the Halo ODST soundtrack.

The game is alright, it's not exactly the strongest Halo game, but it's pretty unique. The sound track though, is absolutely amazing, and that's saying something considering how good the Halo soundtracks are.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Much like Okami, Ori and the Blind Forest is a game that I lovingly refer to as "It's So Pretty - the Game". With Ori, however, the Soundtrack just plain tugs at my heartstrings. It's delicate, melodic, and a lot of it is a bit mournful, really. My breath just catches whenever I hear the opening chords of the title screen.

And really, it's a great soundtrack on the whole.

Self-Confident Jester

Apr 12, 2020
Country
Ukraine
Also some of my favorite atmospheric soundtracks are from Lobotomy Corp OST's. Those are very dramatical, frightening, mystic, mind-tearing and at some time even close to GOD beings soundtracks. To feel all of the emotical pattern i highly recommend to give a try to this game, even if it's seems to be a challenge to play.

Warning: Some of the soundtracks can cause an unpredictable negative effect upon listening by psychically-unstable human beings.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I have a few too many to link, but I always found these to be some of my most memorable OSTs in their entirety (with obvious exceptional picks able to be taken from within them)

- Kid Icarus Uprising
- Undertale
- Gravity Rush 1
- Metroid Prime 1
- Persona 4
- Transistor
- The World Ends With You
- Ys 8 Lacrimosa of Dana & The Oath in Felghana

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I mean my obvious answer is FF7, but really any Final Fantasy game pre-10.

Other notible games for me with killer music would be.

Persona 5 - holyshit this soundtrack just bops the whole time.
Crono Trigger - of course
God of War 4 - This music fills the game's settings wonderfully.

I wanna say Bioshock as a series as well, but i think a lot of what makes those games is actually licensed music so I can't count it.