Memorable Modern Game Soundtracks

Aphromite

Feb 13, 2012
I was playing Ninja Gaiden Sigma for the first time in a few years when I noticed something about it I hadn't really noticed from a game too often in recent times. I found that I remember certain tracks more than others, in direct correlation to amount of platforms in a room, not necessarily due to their greatness. Although having heard some of them again, they are good enough to still be stuck in my head.

Now this isn't like the 16 or even 8 bit eras, where limited power and creative genius combined to create scores that can be recognised by anyone with a little pop culture knowledge. Soundtracks don't seem to have the impact they had on me back then with series such as Sonic, Castlevania and Megaman. I can only think of 2 such games/series in recent times, those being Hotline Miami and the Katamari series. I want more games to engage my auricular functions. I want to be moved.

So I guess my question is this: do you guys have the same feeling? Have you encountered a gem of a soundtrack in a sea of mediocrity? Am I just letting nostalgia colour my perceptions?

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
The Halo soundtrack always has a legendary feeling when it comes to combat and mystery. It really isn't generic, being it's own using the Male Choir and Drums in a way no other music does.

Oh, and here is one non-halo one I will never forget:

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Damn. I was going to say Halo. How about Pokémon? I can't think of any tracks in the series I don't like. They're simple, but enjoyable and memorable. Also the Metal Gear Solid series.

What a thrill...

I'm still in a dream, SNAKE EATER!

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Final Fantasy
Elder Scrolls
Halo
Ninja Gaiden Black
Diablo 2
Legacy of Kain

I could go all day.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Sonic Generations!

Okay, that's probably cheating considering that it is all remixes of past songs in the Sonic franchise. Still awesome though.

Moving on to less cheaty examples, there's Persona 4. Many games have a few good songs, but - outside of the Sonic series - I can't think of a full soundtrack I've enjoyed listening to more than Persona 4's.

Another example I would say is Bastion. Darren Korb did a wonderful job with the music in that game, and it looks like Transistor may hopefully continue that, based on the trailer.

There's also Mirror's Edge

And finally, while the Metal Gear Solid series has had fantastic music throughout, I think MGS2: Sons OF Liberty is my favourite.

Although it may be unfair to class a game that is now 12 years old as "modern". But I don't care!

Now I think plenty of people are going to mention "Journey" and that's fair enough, since it is amazing, but I can only listen to it in game. Outside of it, it just seems weird.

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
Pokemon, mario, sonic. 3 games that are still around where just hearing sound effects can tell me what the game is.
Of the modern games that didn't start back in yesteryear I'm going to say the music in 1 scene of mass effect 3 where
the commander has just made it to the Normandy to escape Earth and the reaper is heading towards the escape crafts.
The music is so beautiful but every time
the reaper made a step towards them
this evil fog horn (kinda) effect will play, gave me goosebumps.

GamerKT

Jul 27, 2009
Nier, MadWorld, and Anarchy Reigns have awesome sound effects. The latter two have rap that I actually like.

Lygus

Apr 7, 2013
I love everything Jasper Kyd produces. He's an avid gamers and knows how to transform music into something that perfectly fits any virtual world.

Also, this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n4VdpQfGtQ One of the most underrated OSTs ever.

Ryan Ambrose

Jun 19, 2013
I registered only so I could post these songs to those who have never heard of it.

How anti-hipster of me.

But really, I find them majestic.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
it may not be especially GOOD per se (especially the latest ones where it's just a buzzing noise) but Battlefield series have an established identity when it comes to music.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Andy Shandy said:
There's also Mirror's Edge

Thing is the main theme is actually Solar Fields version rather than the poppy singalong you posted which plays at the end credits.

;-)

Aden Powter

Jul 5, 2012
I would definitely have to so Persona 4 and P3 both had excellent music throughout. I still listen to it now.

Andy Farren

Jan 22, 2013
I actually paid money for the 'Don't Starve' soundtrack. It's barely 10 minutes, but the main theme is ace. There was some buyer's remorse, I'll admit.

The Forza Horizon soundtrack is pretty good too. It's not an OST, but there are some good songs on there. I am aware that is a little too much like a marketing department's idea of 'what the kids are listening to these days', but it's been getting a lot of play-time on my iPod.

Kudos on the BF1942/43 mention. The post-modern BF3 version is a real let-down. I love BF3 -it's basically the only on-line game I play- but they really dropped the ball with the modern re-imagining.

Andy Farren

Jan 22, 2013
exobook said:
Dues Ex: Human Evolution
(sic)

Man, the intro to that game is brilliant. There's a cool website called 'Art of the Title' that shows off memorable opening sequences, and DE:HR is on there. It made me remember how cool that game looked. Though it still annoyed the shit out of me!

http://www.artofthetitle.com/title/deus-ex-human-revolution/

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
The soundtrack for Journey was up for a Grammy

If that isn't proof of it's magnificence, I don't what is :D
Well I do agree it's good. Isn't that an appeal to authority?

Anyway. The soundtrack for PlantSide 2 Is pretty good. At least for the New Conglomerate.