Men Chase Texting Record, Get Record Bill

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Men Chase Texting Record, Get Record Bill

Two Pennsylvania men chasing the world record for text messaging in a month have managed to rack up a record phone bill in the process.

Nick Andes and Doug Klinger of Lancaster, Pennsylvania are constantly texting each other. They were sending so many messages that they grew curious about the world record for text messaging in a month. They looked it up online; turns out it was set in 2005 by Deepak Sharma [http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-5703839-7.html] of India who managed to crank out over 182,000 messages over the course of a single month. They decided to take a run at it.

They spent the whole of March texting back and forth, mainly single-word messages with "tons and tons of repeats," Andes said. "I'd put my phone on silent and it would beep at me once the inbox was full and I'd clear the inbox and they would just keep coming."

They reached 182,000 messages between the two of them fairly easily but by then the thrill was gone. "We were tired of texting. We wanted the month to be over," he added. "My wife wanted it to be over."

When the month did finally come to a close, Andes had sent over 140,000 messages while Klinger had managed 70,000. Neither man had achieved Sharma's solo messaging mark but their place in Guinness history probably seemed inconsequential compared to what happened next: The bill arrived.

Both men have unlimited text messaging plans with T-Mobile [http://www.t-mobile.com/] but "unlimited" is not without limits and as he returned home from work one day Andes discovered the bill sitting on his doorstep - in a box that cost $27.55 just to send. Despite being "unlimited," there is actually a cap of 100,000 messages per month, a number no customer before Andes had ever reached. The total cost of his March Madness text-fest ran to roughly $26,000.

"I panicked, I called T-Mobile and I got their attention in a hurry," he said. "The lady asked how she can help me and I said, 'If you pull up my account, you're going to know'."

Fortunately for Andes, T-Mobile has apparently decided to let it slide and have credited his account, although the company is still "investigating the charges." He also had to promise that he'd never do something like this again. "She told me it was a violation of their misuse and abuse policy," he said. "She wanted to know my intentions and to assure her this was a one-time thing... They weren't as enthusiastic about this as everybody else seems to be."

Sources: UPI.com [http://www.newsnet5.com/money/19239421/detail.html]

(photo [http://www.flickr.com/photos/kiwanja/3169449583/])

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Well his foolishness did not go unpunished, but i suppose unlimted texts does send a very clear message.
And why would such a lame record be worth having?

Kuliani

BEACUASE
Dec 14, 2004
johnman said:
Well his foolishness did not go unpunished, but i suppose unlimted texts does send a very clear message.
And why would such a lame record be worth having?
All the really good records are just waaaaaayyyy too hard. If my normal routine was close to a record, I would also go for it!

Melancholy_Ocelot

Feb 2, 2009
This gentleman is quite possibly the lowest common technological denominator.

What a waste of ambition, time, and resources.

Another pointless waste of ones and zeros.

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
We'd better start telling all of the teenage girls that their unlimited text plan isn't actually unlimited. Roughly 3,333 texts a day if it's a 30 day month.

Damien the Pigeon

Oct 23, 2008
I'm trying to picture the moment when he got that $26,000 texting bill. I think at that point, I'd cry myself insane.

02cfranklin

Dec 30, 2008
the_tramp said:
We'd better start telling all of the teenage girls that their unlimited text plan isn't actually unlimited.
This ^
But dude.. that's a lot of text messages... the most I've sent in a month is 1000.. and that was pushin' it.

CosmicGrenade

Feb 11, 2008
I wonder if they send him a txt saying he was over his limit....
One thing I can't believe is that they charged over $1.54 for the 40,000 txts over the 100,000 limit ><

Devilpapaya

Apr 3, 2009
02cfranklin said:
the_tramp said:
We'd better start telling all of the teenage girls that their unlimited text plan isn't actually unlimited.
This ^
But dude.. that's a lot of text messages... the most I've sent in a month is 1000.. and that was pushin' it.
They could do it....
They have the technology.

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
When will the text message fiasco end? For christ sake, it cost the company nothing, yet they charge like you were downloading gigabytes of data.

edgeofblade

Jan 8, 2009
This is the reason advertising needs to be overhauled in the US. "Fat Free" doesn't mean free of fat, "Unlimited" isn't unlimited, and "best" is unverifiable... and when someone relies on these misrepresentations, they get screwed. Not cool.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
geeze not limitless eh, i send maybe 100 per day tops, sadly my gf doesnt have unlimited so she pays maybe 7 bucks a day because of it (after her monsthly 500 are used up >.>) i thought before a serious bill they woulda just cut you off

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
Malygris said:
"unlimited" is not without limits
Someone needs to teach them the definition of the word "unlimited".

Next they'll be trying to say that $0.02 is the same as 0.02¢. No, no, no company would be that brazenly stupid...

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
Hang on.

$26,000 bill, divided by their current obnoxious rate of 20¢/message, works out to 130,000 messages. He says he sent about 140,000 messages.

Did T-Mobile, as punishment for busting the limit (of the "unlimited" plan), then decide to charge him for every message, not just the overage (and his estimate of messages was slightly off)?

Or is the reported cap off by a factor of 10, and you only get 10,000 messages for the "unlimited" plan?

Or is the "message over limit" rate even higher than 20¢/message? (That'd be about 65¢/message. Ouch.)

dbb10001

Apr 24, 2009
I can't begin to imagine what it was like for that guy Nick Andes to get a $26K phone bill, especially if he actually had a comprehensive plan with unlimited texting. Talk about shock! I get particularly riled when people are stuck with huge, often erroneous cell bills; I hear about this all the time because I work for the consumer advocacy website http://www.fixmycellbill.com , powered by a company called Validas, where we slash the average cell bill by 22 percent. Consumers like Nick Andes may not have been actively misled by their wireless providers, but his example seems to illustrate that cell plans are clearly not impervious to problematic charging and subsequently many ?unlimited? plans remain vulnerable to significant usage. I could go on and on about how shifty these cell companies can be in their attempts to make you overpay. I'll mention that at Validas, we stop them and have currently put over $5,000,000 back in the pockets of consumers. You can check out Validas?s fixmycellbill.com in the national news media, seen recently on Good Morning America at http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=6887412&page=1.

Good luck to everyone trying to cut your wireless expenses in this rough economy.

Dylan

wasalp

Dec 22, 2008
that last post looks alot like an add.

it is odd that they cannot look up unlimited as a definition

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
CyberKnight said:
Hang on.

$26,000 bill, divided by their current obnoxious rate of 20¢/message, works out to 130,000 messages. He says he sent about 140,000 messages.

Did T-Mobile, as punishment for busting the limit (of the "unlimited" plan), then decide to charge him for every message, not just the overage (and his estimate of messages was slightly off)?

Or is the reported cap off by a factor of 10, and you only get 10,000 messages for the "unlimited" plan?

Or is the "message over limit" rate even higher than 20¢/message? (That'd be about 65¢/message. Ouch.)
Most cell phone companies charge for both incoming and outgoing text messages, so add the other guy's 70,000 then take out the 100,000 and you have roughly 110,000 which is pretty close to the 130,000 estimate, perhaps maybe a nickle more per text.