Mental Health

Treefingers

Aug 1, 2008
Well my uncle was schizophrenic. My little sister has aspergers. My Dad gets panic attacks every now and then.

Myself... i don't know that i have had anything. I went through a fairly depressed stage as a teen, though i'm not sure it was extreme enough to count as depression.

Ambi

Oct 9, 2009
DementedSheep said:
If anything, when I start getting really stupid I need a good slap not coddling or pills and I certainly don?t need religion shoved at me
Thank you. I can definitely relate to this part of your post. I needed discipline, and I went to a religious school.

I've had smatterings of symptoms of various personality disorders throughout my life, but who hasn't? I grew out of the most awkward and ridiculous phases, like being too self-conscious to eat in front of some people as if it was horribly undignified and just being ridiculously self-conscious in general, looking at people like this O_O, or being known as the depressed quiet kid (even though I did not believe I was depressed) and having that awkward "trying-not-to-smile-with-my-teeth-even-though-they're-fine" smile whenever I did actually smile, amongst other things. I may still be lazy and indecisive and sometimes I get nervous when I know it's irrational, but I'm not going to claim I have ADD or social anxiety or something. To get things done I just need people there to discipline me to keep in touch with the practical side of things and not procrastinate so much. I digress.

Religion has lingering effects on me. Telling children that the holy spirit can prompt people to do things, sometimes things that are out of one's comfort zone, can be bad for them. I felt like God wanted me to do uncomfortable things. I was shy, and the nagging anxiety (or the "holy spirit") hit me randomly, urging me to start up a random conversation with an old lady stranger or a new couple at church or that person on msn I barely talk to or even telling me to do things which I could see no logical reason for doing, like taking another route home (there are probably more petty examples than those, I just remember the latter because I noticed a creepy slow car I thought could've been following me and ended up running home). Back then I perceived that whenever I disobeyed that feeling, something went wrong. Even when it didn't, I contemplated possible sequences of events that could've changed my life forever and resulted from me obeying that urge. There was certainly a possibility that the bad things that happened were coincidental and that the anxious feelings were because of other things, but I was twelve and I didn't think of that, my mind automatically connected things to the supernatural because that's the way I was raised. For example, when I really didn't want to go to my friend's lame Sunday school Christmas dance although I had that annoying urge to, my other friend came over and she accidentally walked outside with our new pet bird perched on her and it flew away. I know it's not a tragedy, but I was only young and I felt terrible for how bad my friend must have felt when my mother said "oh, *insert name here*!" and for how my sister got upset. I felt like it was all my fault just because I didn't go to that concert.

I still randomly get these nagging urges that go against my will, and it's quite uncomfortable. I mean, this feeling might not really compare to actual diagnosed anxiety, its presence is more unconfortable than terrifying. I want to go to bed right now seeing as I only had 2-3 hours of sleep last night (which is probably contributing to my anxiety) but I feel an urge to finish this post. Sometimes I'll get the same anxious feeling saying "don't post this thing you've written", "don't follow through with the reasonable sounding business ideas you're writing down", or "wear this shirt to bed, not that one". Some are perfectly reasonable anxious urges, such as "stop making excuses and hand in that job application".

It might just be my unconscious mind picking up on subtle cues or mostly forgotten memories and telling me something is "off" via my intuition. That explanation sounds reasonable for the time I felt like I should turn back instead of walking home, and later I remembered I had an after school detention. Sometimes it could simply have been my conscience speaking, saying "you should be at school right now, you're not really that sick". Maybe it was just plain old anxiety warping my perception and attitudes so that I either noticed only the negative or caused something negative to happen through being negative, and thus confirmed an irrational belief in the feeling's legitimacy.

I think I'd managed to choke it for the most part during the time I was well into questioning my faith. Then a class did a drama presentation, which was a re-enactment of what they said was a true story that went something like this. Someone was contemplating suicide and said to God that he wouldn't commit suicide only if he proved he was real by causing someone to do a head stand in front of a vending machine, or something crazy like that. Then this woman had this anxious urge to do a headstand, and although it was embarrassing, she did, and through doing so, virtually saved the man's life (I also recall a few other stories told by teachers or preachers). Then I thought, what if it is actually true that this feeling should be taken seriously? Was this story fabricated or some kind of insane coincidence? I even partially read The Holographic Universe and considered the possibility that it could actually be a premonition and that some kind of scientific theory that accommodates a seemingly supernatural connection between past, present, future could be plausible. The possibility that the anxiety is really there to tell me something and it's not always just some spontaneous chemical imbalance left over from my younger years when my conscience was warped by pentecostals into feeling guilty for being comfortable with what I want to do instead of doing undignified things to prove my love for Jesus really isn't a pleasant thought.

Maybe I'd have been rewarded if I followed those prompts. Of course, I'd feel better once I'd "obeyed" them. Maybe I'd feel truly free, free from my irrational social inhibitions and like I was fulfilling my true purpose by obeying my deepest convictions. But I still think the feelings are not normal and healthy and are a sign of cognitive dissonance. I mostly rationalise peace nowadays by thinking that the feelings aren't likely anything truly eerie or supernatural and that the emotion is explained through scientific terms already.

I'm not sure whether or not those ramblings clarify what I mean enough, and I'm too tired to care to proofread right now.

Womplord

Feb 14, 2010
I've had a few depressive episodes, reeeeally bad one about a year ago, like you would not believe. Couldn't even talk without crying. I think borderline personality disorder because I do a lot of self harm (cuts all over my upper legs) and have identity issues, used to think I was bipolar but I think its just borderline (could be borderline and bipolar rather than borderline and depression). Also, I have tics (which was worse when I was younger), so tourette's maybe. I'm pretty sure I also have ADHD (which is very common with tourette's). Childhood of abuse, and mental problems in my parents.

Nothing diagnosed. Maybe I'm just a hypochondriac, lol.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Biosophilogical said:
Jonluw said:
I was never technically diagnosed with anything
This, though I've never been tested for anything.
Neither was I.

Captcha: presumable ctorack.
Makes me wonder what a ctorack is.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
I've not been diagnosed with anything, though it's my belief that nearly anyone could get a claim to something if they really wanted it. My life is hard, very hard, but I'm a pretty well adjusted guy.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
Well...

I have clinical depression, social phobia and other anxiety issues.

I don't take meds from personal choice. I've been pretty proactive in confronting these issues and I find that just having someone to anchor me is enough. Thank god for close friends!

However, I am in much better shape than I was, so I've come a long way from the empty, suicidal shell that I was.

Hammer's Girl

Jun 5, 2010
Valksy said:
These days? Fuck knows what my diagnosis is. I see a new psychiatrist every six months and they can't make their mind up so my "diagnosis" changes with monotonous regularity.

I am clinically depressed and have been for about 14 years now. Medication works, sometimes. Right now, not so much. I'm probably due another medication review.
My friend has had this problem, she keeps being sent to different doctors who keep diagnosing her with different things, it normally flips between BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder) and Bi-Polar but the latest doctor doesn't think she's Bi-Polar and doesn't believe in BPD so hasn't given a diagnosis at all, just more meds *eye roll*.

Most of my friends have had problems with depression at one time or another, as has my Mum. My Father is an alcoholic.

As for me:-
'Eating Disorder, Not Otherwise Specified' (I don't fill all the criteria for any one ED bu have symptoms of all of them)
Anxiety and Depression (which I keep lying to shrinks about and should really get help with)
Fibromyalgia (which is technically in my head - Wiki article here [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibromyalgia].)

Womplord

Feb 14, 2010
Hammer said:
Valksy said:
These days? Fuck knows what my diagnosis is. I see a new psychiatrist every six months and they can't make their mind up so my "diagnosis" changes with monotonous regularity.

I am clinically depressed and have been for about 14 years now. Medication works, sometimes. Right now, not so much. I'm probably due another medication review.
My friend has had this problem, she keeps being sent to different doctors who keep diagnosing her with different things, it normally flips between BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder) and Bi-Polar but the latest doctor doesn't think she's Bi-Polar and doesn't believe in BPD so hasn't given a diagnosis at all, just more meds *eye roll*.

Most of my friends have had problems with depression at one time or another, as has my Mum. My Father is an alcoholic.

As for me:-
'Eating Disorder, Not Otherwise Specified' (I don't fill all the criteria for any one ED bu have symptoms of all of them)
Anxiety and Depression (which I keep lying to shrinks about and should really get help with)
Fibromyalgia (which is technically in my head - Wiki article here [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibromyalgia].)
This sort of thing makes me wonder if it would be more accurate simply to diagnose yourself. I mean, its easy to find the DSM IV in a library and read up about some of the problems you suspect you have. And ugh, borderline personality disorder not a diagnosis? sigh.

dslatch

Apr 15, 2009
School has me marked on a depression list and a healthy dose of good old ADD

serious ADD/ADHD run in my family I didn't get hit as hard with the genetics stick there...

Hammer's Girl

Jun 5, 2010
Womplord said:
This sort of thing makes me wonder if it would be more accurate simply to diagnose yourself. I mean, its easy to find the DSM IV in a library and read up about some of the problems you suspect you have. And ugh, borderline personality disorder not a diagnosis? sigh.
Have you ever tried doing that? Most people when they read medical books of any sort recognise parts of themselves in every disease listed. It's very easy to convince yourself you have a condition (physical or mental) from reading the diagnostic criteria.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Alkaline said:
I have pretty bad depression, which so far peaked in January. Could barely feel any pleasure from anything for the whole month.

Would've said Asperger syndrome if I considered it a disease or whatever, but I don't, really. Probably worth mentioning that my brother and father also have the condition.

I wonder: how many posts will it take for someone to complain about the unusual amount of Aspergians here?

It's basically a shield for doctors, because they HAVE to name and label everything these days, therefor by their own rules, I claim all psychologists have OCD.

OT: I'm one of those many people misdiagnosed with Asperger's in the UK. It's all "oh, you're being a little bit different. I shall now claim you have an incredibly slight case of Asperger's!

Seriously, a little note to any psychologists here. Don't round it to the nearest vaguely possible thing because of slight correlating symptoms. The general attitude these days is "oh, if I say he has nothing and something happens I'll be to blame, but if I say he has something and he's fine I can say it's mild and he's overcoming it!" Really for me it was horrible. Got labelled with this bullshit at a young age and was essentially black-marked for all my childhood and teenage years as some kind of time bomb special child. Besides, I've met people who actually have Asperger's, and like you say, it's not something to fuss over. God, I hate the British Government for this...

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
MasterOfWorlds said:
Eisenfaust said:
i'm close to schizophrenia...

though, if i may get technical, a primary DSM diagnosis for schizophrenia based on auditory hallucinations is contingent on the patient expierencing one of two things, either: a) two voices having a conversation, or b) one voice providing a running commentary on the patients life, neither of which are the case with me

i'm more along the lines of... there's a voice in my head that i occasionally have a conversation with, so there are parts of both criteria but isn't fully one of the other
A running commentary just sounds like it would be awesome... *wants* I really don't see how that would be an illness. Hell, some kind of inhuman gift would probably be considered an illness nowadays.

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
Well, I developed Insomnia and still suffer from it, and I've been diagnosed by a Therapist as a Sociopath.

Edit: and I suffer from Depression.

Aetera

Jan 19, 2011
Bipolar depression. It sucks(understatement), and the meds really mess with you until your body adjusts to them. The best way that I can describe it is going from a super creative, motivated high, to a... not sad low, but completely numb, lacking in any desire or care for anything low. The lows are pretty much me being made Dragon Age-style Tranquil. Yes, it gets that bad.

KiraTaureLor

Mar 27, 2011
Griffolion said:
It's believed about 1 in 5 people in the UK suffer or will suffer from mental health problems in their lives. I'm sure this will roughly be true for other countries too.

What do you suffer from, or what kind of mental illness affects you in your family (does a family member / friend suffer from a mental illness)?

I know the term mental illness seems quite harsh and repulsive, but the term extends even to stuff like depression and anxiety disorders.

Me personally, i have mild/moderate depression and have done for maybe 4 years now. It all funnily enough started a few months after i broke up with a girl i really cared about after she had been a real ***** to me. I guess it all just got on top of me, but considering the vast majority of my family has suffered in some way too, i think i was genetically pre-dispositioned. I'm doing a lot better now, a combination of some mild medication and supportive friends and family keeping my mind doing things and generally accepting me regardless of my issues.

So yeah, how's things for you?
You need to edit your post, and ask for diagnoses, because I read a lot of posts were people are self diagnosing.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
OCD and neurosis runs on my father's side. I plan on being careful and avoiding some of the pitfalls my grandfather did and my father is falling into.