Mentally challenged characters in video games.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
I'd better pre-face this by saying this thread isn't a joke, nor do I wish it to become one. I'm not taking the piss out of "diversity in gaming" or anything. It's meant to be a valid thread.

Anyways, I've been planning a new character to play in the first two Fallout games. I've settled on playing a mentally challenged (super low intelligence) character (with a quick temper, sledgehammer, big guns and the bloody mess perk!!). Now, the early Fallout games, as well as Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, fully support mentally challenged characters as dialogue options and NPC reactions to you change if you have a low intelligence.

This has gotten me curious, are there other mentally challenged characters in video games? I haven't really heard of any. The closest would probably be that Katawa Shoujo, but I believe that is physical handicaps, rather than mental (could be wrong though, never played it).

In regards to diversity in video game characters, I imagine this could hold some potential.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Well, in the old Fallout games you could...

Oh.

God damnit.

The only other example that comes to mind is Sandal from the Dragon Age games. ("Enchantment!") Honestly though, I always found him a bit painful. If he was intended to be funny then, well... I certainly didn't get the joke. Likewise if he was meant to be endearing.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
The ones i have seen has mostly been poor peasent folk in Wrpgs. Mostly beggars or homeless guys.
Zhukov said:
Well, in the old Fallout games you could...

Oh.

God damnit.

The only other example that comes to mind is Sandal from the Dragon Age games. ("Enchantment!") Honestly though, I always found him a bit painful. If he was intended to be funny then, well... I certainly didn't get the joke. Likewise if he was meant to be endearing.
I think he was suppose to be an idiot savant. Which does exist IRL and i think is kind of interesting to put in a game.

Edit: the main character of enchanted arms was pretty stupid. Like borderline mentally deficient. He had to be explained on how to use a ladder. Seriously.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Not that I can really think of. I mean there are probably few in gaming, but most of them are probably designed to be the butt of jokes.

seris

Oct 14, 2013
i think my favorite mentally challenged character is max hass from Wolfenstein: TNO. hes basically a giant toddler that can soak up bullets and flatten nazi's

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Whoever you play is in Antichamber. Damn game makes me feel borderline retarded when I play it.

Actually... what's stopping silent characters from being mentally challenged? Chell, Gordon Freeman, Link...

Johnny Thunder

May 18, 2014
Oh, I thought this was about video game characters doing such stupid things they could be called mentally challenged.

But if you mean intentionally made to be mentally challenged, there's David Archer from Mass Effect.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I think a lot of publishers/developers are likely too afraid to do it considering how delicate the subject is. It is really easy to (understandably) offend someone regarding mental illness. Considering films can't even get it right half the time, I doubt video games would do much better. Eventually we'll get there, but right now I'd only leave it up to the very best writers in the industry.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Claptrap in Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel! His special ability is randomized and not necessarily helpful to whatever situation you're in.
Brick from the first game is also a case of mental challenge, though it doesn't come up in gameplay.
In fact, everybody in Pandora seems to be mentally challenged.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
BathorysGraveland2 said:
I'd better pre-face this by saying this thread isn't a joke, nor do I wish it to become one. I'm not taking the piss out of "diversity in gaming" or anything. It's meant to be a valid thread.

Anyways, I've been planning a new character to play in the first two Fallout games. I've settled on playing a mentally challenged (super low intelligence) character (with a quick temper, sledgehammer, big guns and the bloody mess perk!!). Now, the early Fallout games, as well as Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, fully support mentally challenged characters as dialogue options and NPC reactions to you change if you have a low intelligence.

This has gotten me curious, are there other mentally challenged characters in video games? I haven't really heard of any. The closest would probably be that Katawa Shoujo, but I believe that is physical handicaps, rather than mental (could be wrong though, never played it).

In regards to diversity in video game characters, I imagine this could hold some potential.
Well, to be honest it seems to be fairly common in video games nowadays, or at least in the horror genera. It seems like every other horror game tries to be claiming to be "psychological horror" and has you taking on the role of some dude who hallucinates at the very least, some even play around with screen fuzzing and similar things. The entire game "Darkest Dungeons" is about managing increasingly insane adventurers as they tromp through dungeons.

If you entirely mean the whole "low IQ retard" thing, no, that doesn't come up very often in part because it's not really all that realistic. The games that were doing that didn't have your character being literally retarded but were pretty much doing the whole PnP RPG schtick of the "18/00 strength, 3 intelligence" fighter which of course was the source of a lot of jokes as the guy was supposed to be a competent killing machine, but otherwise did idiotic things. You know like "hey a gem, Dworg put it in the kitty with the other treasure will you" followed by horrible feline screaming as the fighter starts stuffing the items from the party's loot back into the witch's familiar. Of course it was usually done in less of a "screw the party" fashion and just had the character being as dumb as a rock for laughs, and also to justify why this guy was acting like a D&D fighter (not quite understanding the sheer danger he was putting himself in, but usually surviving because he's so damn tough).

Very few games seem to put the effort into writing that Fallout/Wasteland/Arcanum did as well, which means few if any alternate dialogue tracks.... which have also become increasingly difficult as the demand for full voicing has risen (ie it's easier to do with a game that is all text to begin with).

Now yes, while they did make jokes about people being kicked in the head and stuff in those games, they really didn't go full tilt with saying anyone was supposed to be retarded and it certainly was not promoted as such, which is probably why it didn't get much attention as well. To be frank people are probably correct if they assume we won't see any attempts at things like this from serious game creators until the SJW population has been trimmed down, or at least quieted down, quite a bit, which will probably happen over time since while businesses seem to still be backing down resistance is on the rise.

That said, as I pointed out originally, there are more "mentally handicapped" characters in games than you think, even when you omit the old Amnesia trope, though they tend to only work with very specific kinds of handicaps for the most part. That said in many games I suppose you could say the player winds up portraying the main character as a homicidal maniac, so I suppose that's kind of a mental handicap. I mean it doesn't seem uncommon for players to literally set out to murder everything the game will let them kill. :)

Evil Moo

Always Watching...
Feb 26, 2011
Aerosteam said:
Whoever you play is in Antichamber. Damn game makes me feel borderline retarded when I play it.
That would be an interesting twist. The whole game is just a metaphor for the struggles of someone with some form of mental illness trying to navigate an ordinary office building or similar. Hmm...

OhNoYouDidnt

Oct 22, 2013
seris said:
i think my favorite mentally challenged character is max hass from Wolfenstein: TNO. hes basically a giant toddler that can soak up bullets and flatten nazi's
Ah, yes. Max Hass. The shameless Hodor rip-off. I'm glad that you enjoyed the character, but I personally found him very jarring. The New Order has some great and original characters[footnote] How often do you see a wheelchair-ridden female veteran with a colostomy bag in video games, after all? [/footnote], so why did they feel the need to blatantly copy a character, adding nothing new to the idea whatsoever? Eh, it's a shame.

On topic: The playable Malkavians in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines would certainly count. Their dialogue is delightfully... unhinged ("Wobbly are the walls of my mind!"), although I felt that it wasn't really acknowledged all that much by the NPCs, other than a brief "Oh god a Malkavian" before the NPC would go on to say the exact same lines that sane vampires get to hear.

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
Isn't it hinted that Chell is mentally challenged by the time of Portal 2? I mean jump and speak are not too related as functions.

Unless I read it wrong.

Apr 5, 2008
To call Malkavians, from VTM: Bloodlines, mentally challenged would be an understatement. They're off the charts bonkers and their dialogue reflects it well. Many NPCs will react to malks differently and their signature ability is called "Dementia" which gives their enemies a momentary insight into their psyches and gives unique dialogue options.

b.w.irenicus

Apr 16, 2013
I think you in Neverwinter Nights playing with less than 4 Intelligence makes your character lose his ability to speak properly.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
NPC's rather than playable characters, but there's Prince Stig in Armed And Dangerous. Though its more he's been the victim of a curse that made his father intelligent and evil, and him nice but extremely stupid. He's entirely a joke all the way through the game - this is not a game for subtlety or nuance.

Sarah from the Walking Dead Season Two, who appears to be autistic, or at least on that spectrum (though its also possible her father has coddled her too much in addition). Shes not a bad person, though her condition makes her a burden at times, and the fandom reacted in their usual warmth and understanding of such a person. (/sarcasm)

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Well, there's River, from To the Moon, but that character suffered from a form of Autism, most likely Aspergers, and she was actually quite brilliant when it came to academic knowledge. This is the best I can think of.

I don't think this what you were asking for, though. As far as low IQ goes, I can't think of many well written characters.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
[/spoiler]
Enemy (for lack of better words) from an obscure-ish PS2 game called Demento, or Haunting Ground in the Land of Sillier Names. If the general look of him didn't spell it out, his name is Debilitas. He's a large, creepy man-child that, according to the wiki and not the sounds you hear if he catches you, just wants to play with the main character like a doll. Supposedly, he's too stupid to understand that slugging someone in the face, then picking them up and squeezing them hard enough to break their spine might cause them some kind of harm.

There's also Daniella, your second pursuer, but she's less 'mentally challenged' and mostly just 'mental.'

Islandbuffilo

Apr 16, 2011
Does autism count? I have a few games with characters that shows signs of being in various places on the spectrum. There was also one of father-mother's goons from Zeno clash who seemed a bit... Disadvantaged, actually a lot of characters in that game come off like that.