Metacritic Ranks EA as #1 Publisher of 2012

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Metacritic Ranks EA as #1 Publisher of 2012

Mass Effect 3 led the way among top-scoring EA games.

"Electronic Arts" and "Metacritic" are two of those organizations you can just mention on a gaming forum and proceed to pop a bag of popcorn with the heat of the ensuing flame war. Get ready for some fireworks, then, because Metacritic has announced EA as the top-rated publisher of 2012. With an average metascore of 75.2, the breadth of EA's releases beat out Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo and other large publishers by a comfortable margin. Furthermore, Mass Effect 3 sits as EA's highest-ranked title from last year. Grab another log for the fire.

EA, which took the #4 spot in 2011, earned first place with an average metascore of 75.2 among 37 unique titles. Metacritic also reported that Mass Effect 3 took EA's top spot with an average score of 93, and that its best original title was Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, which debuted at a respectable 81 (before all that other stuff [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121595-38-Studios-Boss-Sells-Sock-to-Recoup-Losses] went down). Other strong contenders included entries in the FIFA and Need for Speed series. Next down the line were Microsoft, with an average score of 73.0, and Sony, who weighed in at 72.3.

Statisticians will be interested in Metacritic's methodology: The ratings aggregator gathered together "large" publishers, which had put out at least 15 ranked games during 2012 (not including iOS titles). The final value for each publisher was a sum of points, dictated by percentages of a company's "good" games (a score of 75 or above) and its "bad" games (a score of 49 or below), with bonus points for each of a company's "great" games (a score of 90 or above). In the final analysis, the reason that EA took top honors is largely due to its lack of "bad" games, with its lowest-scoring entry (Medal of Honor: Warfighter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10011-Medal-Of-Honor-Warfighter-Review]) presenting a mediocre-but-not-"bad" 53.

All kidding about forum wars aside, there is some very interesting math going on here. Any arithmophiles out there should scroll down to the bottom of the page to see how Metacritic calculated its values. All others should report to the Comments section in an orderly fashion and keep your internet helmets securely fastened at all times.

Source: Metacritic [http://www.metacritic.com/feature/game-publisher-rankings-for-2012-releases]

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011

OT: This seems a little silly, but I don't have the energy to get worked up about it.

Karathos

May 10, 2009
Prep the forum for a flamewar. In the past couple of years I've thoroughly enjoyed a multitude of EA releases and for some reason even used Origin while playing them. Have I been struck by cancer or leprocy? Have I started sacrificing kittens to the devil? Has my computer been hijacked by all the supposed spyware from Origin?

No, oddly enough. None of the maladies that people seem to think come with enjoying EA games have happened.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I think its worth mentioning that Take-Two Interactive, Telltale Games and Squeenix all at least tied with EA for average metascore of 2012.

Nomad of the Stars

Oct 28, 2012
Huh. Well, how interesting I suppose? It just seems so bizzare, but I suppose it makes some sense when you think about it more... But wasn't Warfighter generally considered one of the worst games of last year?

Ech, it isn't worth thinking too hard about.

Mar 30, 2010
EA was ranked the #1 large publisher of 2012, not the overall #1 publisher. In fact EA was beaten by Telltale Games and Take-Two Interactive on the 360, Telltale Games, Take-Two Interactive and Square Enix on the PS3, and Telltale Games, Take-Two Interactive, Warner Bros Interactive and Microsoft on the PC. So the article header of #1 publisher is more than a little misleading.

Not to mention I would rather trust in tea-leaves than Metacritic scores.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Nomad of the Stars said:
Huh. Well, how interesting I suppose? It just seems so bizzare, but I suppose it makes some sense when you think about it more... But wasn't Warfighter generally considered one of the worst games of last year?
That would be true, if last year didnt also see the release of Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor and 007 Legends.

There was also a bunch of stuff from Paradox last year that was unplayable on launch.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well I've got my popcorn ready.

One particular thing that did make me chuckle was the Activision Blizzard one.

Best original title: (none)

Kiyeri

Mar 8, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Hey Erin? Metacritic released just announced the highest rated publisher of 2012.
Oh, Oh, Oh,
Oooooooooooookay
Erin don't leave.
Erin don't...

EEEEEEEEERIIIIIIIIIIIN!
I LOOOOOOOOOVE YOU!
I just watched this video, so congrats on making me laugh my ass off for a while.

OT: I'm surprised there isn't more rage in the forums by now. That always seems to appear when anything related to EA/Mass Effect 3 comes up. But hey, who really cares about Metacritic anyway?

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
dis gon b gud.jpg

In all seriousness I openly and unashamedly like a lot of games that are published by EA. However, for the vast majority of them I'm say they were good in spite of EA. rather than because of EA.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I thought that Take-Two was a major publisher since it has GTA (and every other Rockstar game), Borderlands and Bioshock, thats preety major to me especially considering that it was the one that made the most amout of money while not managing to release Bioshock in 2012.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Hey Arin? Metacritic just announced the highest rated publisher of 2012.
*reads*
Oh, Oh, Oh,
Oooooooooooookay
Arin don't leave.
Arin don't...

EEEEEEEEERIIIIIIIIIIIN!
I LOOOOOOOOOVE YOU!
WHAT IS THIS?!?

WHAT IS THIS?!?

OT: Nah, but seriously, I'm not too worked up over this. Might as well prepare for the shit storm then.

*battens down the hatches*

janjotat

Jan 22, 2012
Well since a rage war hasn't commenced I guess I will start one.

rage rage rage rage rage rage GARBAGE rage rage EA rage rage rage rage METACRITIC rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
*reads*
Oh, Oh, Oh,
Oooooooooooookay
Arin don't leave.
Arin don't...

EEEEEEEEERIIIIIIIIIIIN!
I LOOOOOOOOOVE YOU!
I'd pay to see that episode of Game Grumps.

Also I'm not surprised, considering PCGamer crowned ME3 Game of The Year.

But that doesn't mean I'M NOT APATHETIC!

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Akichi Daikashima said:
DVS BSTrD said:
*reads*
Oh, Oh, Oh,
Oooooooooooookay
Arin don't leave.
Arin don't...

EEEEEEEEERIIIIIIIIIIIN!
I LOOOOOOOOOVE YOU!
I'd pay to see that episode of Game Grumps.

Also I'm not surprised, considering PCGamer crowned ME3 Game of The Year.

But that doesn't mean I'M NOT APATHETIC!
As did The Escapist crowd.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Don't tell me this surprised you.

EA bribes reviewers like criminals keep bribing politicians to not fuck with their gang operations.