Metal Gear Rising 2 Teased at Taipei GameShow

All Hail Lelouch

Feb 5, 2010
It was very brief, but during the livestream of the Taipei Gameshow, A very distinct 2 was flashed in front of us, in a very similar font to the MEtal gear rising title font.

Does this possibly confirm Metal Gear Rising 2?

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3IsoKrg64c

I personally loved the first game, anyone else possibly excited about a potential sequel with an actual Development cycle?

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
I liked this game. It was really fun Platinum game. And Sam was so cool! Oh, and I never thought that I will love bat-sh*t insane nanomachined senator so much.

Although, while I'd like a sequel, I don't know what they can actually do (story wise), because, IMHO, the story of MGR was kind of finished.

Or this "2" could just be stylized version of usual number, nothing more. We'll see.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
If this is legit, then I am so hyped. That said, I have no idea how they're going to top the first one. There are plenty of ways to refine the graphics and gameplay that I can imagine, since Revengeance's actual levels and mechanics were fairly standard. It's just, well...that game started with you chucking a Metal Gear Ray up in the air, running along it's arm and chopping it in half before it hit the ground, and only got more crazy from there.

So...how do they top it?

All Hail Lelouch

Feb 5, 2010
Kingjackl said:
If this is legit, then I am so hyped. That said, I have no idea how they're going to top the first one. There are plenty of ways to refine the graphics and gameplay that I can imagine, since Revengeance's actual levels and mechanics were fairly standard. It's just, well...that game started with you chucking a Metal Gear Ray up in the air, running along it's arm and chopping it in half before it hit the ground, and only got more crazy from there.

So...how do they top it?
Yeah, its not every day you get to suplex a giant robot 10 stories tall.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Wow, amazing timing. I beat the first game last week, so PLEASE be legit. I'm not even a fan of Metal Gear as a franchise, but that game was really fun (though a bit rough around the edges). Not sure what they would do (more Blade Wolf plz) or how to top it, but considering the original was salvaged from development hell, I kind of want to see what they would do if Platinum was given the project from the start.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Raggedstar said:
Wow, amazing timing. I beat the first game last week, so PLEASE be legit. I'm not even a fan of Metal Gear as a franchise, but that game was really fun (though a bit rough around the edges). Not sure what they would do (more Blade Wolf plz) or how to top it, but considering the original was salvaged from development hell, I kind of want to see what they would do if Platinum was given the project from the start.
The original plot for Metal Gear Rising was that it was going to be set between Metal Gear Solid 2 and 4, and involve Raiden and Eva breaking into Area 51 to rescue an infant Sunny from the Patriots, and retrieve the corpse of Big Boss, but Raiden gets captured and turned into a cybrog during the mission. It's also during this mission that he met Boris, the guy he works for in Rising, who was an old war buddy of Sunny's grandfather, and who helps Raiden after he realizes how the Patriots are a threat to the world.

Platinum has expressed interest in doing what was the original story for Rising in the sequel.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
The best beat-em-up game in history is getting a sequel?
HELL YEAH
MORE ROBOT SUPLEXING

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Nanomachines, son.

First game was a lot of fun but the story had to be one of the worst written pieces of fiction in the known universe.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
if this be true, I'm hypes as fuck for it. MGR was a blast and I've been wanting another since I finished the first

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
Nanomachines, son.

First game was a lot of fun but the story had to be one of the worst written pieces of fiction in the known universe.
Can we get a mention of how the climatic duel between the deadly rivals Raiden and Sam is literally Raiden getting off his bike and having a punchup on the side of the road in the desert? I love this game.

I liked the story because it's a character driven story which is my favourite kind. The overall plot elements of disembodied kids and... stuff were pretty bad yeah but the way Raiden develops as a character makes up for it.

It's not perfect mind, they try for a proper Raiden vs Sam rivalry but it falls flat since there aren't enough scenes between the two. If there were two or three extra missions it would have worked i'd wager. Also I dunno what Monsoon was supposed to be unlike all the others he's introduced and then killed within the same set of scenes. He's the difficulty spike of the game however, if you've been getting by without parrying you're going to have to learn fast.

I loved the final boss. It tells me a lot when I knew the words Raiden was going to say seconds before he even said them but I was still hyped as fuck regardless.

"This isn't my sword!"

Sequel would be good obviously because duh, this is Platinum Games here. Every game they're developed has oozed quality from every pore.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
I'm torn here. I really want to like Platinum's 'character action' games, but I just don't. At all. And this is as an action fan, who replays all of the Devil May Cry games regularly.

Raiden in MGR just wasn't fun to control. He was too heavy, and ninja run is awful. It's really clumsy, and I don't like tying one specific type of blocking (bullets) to it. In the middle of a fight, if you wanted to block bullets, you have to do the sluggish sword-sheathing animation and start running. But you end up having to use ninja run for dodging and basic traversal as well, because Raiden has those Jensen Jumps that can't even handle most of the game's terrain.

I also felt his moves weren't...'distinct' enough? In Devil May Cry, Dante has a very short basic combo, and every hit is immediately recognizable. This really helps with combos, and getting the right attack out. If I have tap-delay, a tap-tap-delay, and a tap-tap-tap-delay strings, it's good to be able to recognize what the first second and third hits look like. Raiden's basic X button attacks felt too much like arkham where it's just an endless string of the same attack. I don't know what Raiden's second X looks like as opposed to his third or fourth. So instead of being able to see it and recognize all my strings, I just have to count out my button presses.

Plus, I thought the parry mechanic was really awful. It's fine during normal gameplay, but it makes the boss fights a joke. I've beaten it on normal and hard (side note: I've heard it's better on revengeance, but a good game feels good on any difficulty, and I doubt adding more enemy damage would fix my issues with the game's design. And if it really does fix every issue the game has, it should be unlocked by default.) and I've never died to any of the humanoid Winds of Destruction bosses, including Sam. The big red flash is fine when there's a group of normal enemies, but when it's a 1v1, you just need to press the stick towards the enemy you were already attacking.

I'm pretty sure I make one of these posts whenever there's a Platinum thread, but fuck. The game has such a great soundtrack, and I love all the dumb storyline stuff. It's purely an issue of gameplay. And also the platinum self-fellating, but I'll save that for a Wonderful 101 thread.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
Benpasko said:
I'm torn here. I really want to like Platinum's 'character action' games, but I just don't. At all. And this is as an action fan, who replays all of the Devil May Cry games regularly.
No offense, but maybe you are a little too stuck in the past there?
I give my respect to MGR:R as well as to DmC for trying to change up the character action forumla. Keeping it skill based but trying to get away from dial-a-combo gameplay.

It may not be perfect yet but they are on the right path. And I would very much like to see where they take it next.

p.s. I played a few levels in the W101 demo. Kudos to Platinum for designing a game with a learning curve like that in this day and age. But lets just say it hadn't started to get fun yet :)

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
joest01 said:
Benpasko said:
I don't get this. Whenever I do a big wall'o'hate for Revengeance, someone just tells me to stop comparing it to good games without refuting any of my actual points. Not yelling at you specifically, this just happens every single time. I want to understand what I'm missing about MGR that made it everyone's goty, and "Just stop thinking about Devil May Cry" doesn't help when platinum's games are in many ways built off of it.

Plus I can't do that. Dante is my favorite gaming protagonist. At any given moment, there's like a 75% chance I'm thinking about Devil May Cry 3 or 4.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
Benpasko said:
joest01 said:
Benpasko said:
I don't get this. Whenever I do a big wall'o'hate for Revengeance, someone just tells me to stop comparing it to good games without refuting any of my actual points. Not yelling at you specifically, this just happens every single time. I want to understand what I'm missing about MGR that made it everyone's goty, and "Just stop thinking about Devil May Cry" doesn't help when platinum's games are in many ways built off of it.

Plus I can't do that. Dante is my favorite gaming protagonist. At any given moment, there's like a 75% chance I'm thinking about Devil May Cry 3 or 4.
But I give you the reason above. It tries to do something different. And it works surprisingly well. Where else do you see the next thing in the genre coming from? Bayonetta has taken dial-a-combo and perfected it. Ninja Gaiden has abandoned us. DmC was good, but the concepts reminded me a little too much of Heavenly Sword, not sure how much more innovation Ninja Theory have in them :)

Or will Devil's third surprise us?

But hey, nobody is keeping you from replaying DmC3. I'll keep doing the same thing with Sigma 2.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
Nanomachines, son.

I quite like the final boss monologue to be frank. It was well performed too. You can almost agree with him.

Radian's VA is terrible though. Then again, good VAing in MGS games is more of an exception than the norm.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
joest01 said:
But I give you the reason above. It tries to do something different. And it works surprisingly well. Where else do you see the next thing in the genre coming from? Bayonetta has taken dial-a-combo and perfected it. Ninja Gaiden has abandoned us. DmC was good, but the concepts reminded me a little too much of Heavenly Sword, not sure how much more innovation Ninja Theory have in them :)
I can't say I understand, but thanks for trying. I'm not trying to compare it to Devil May Cry from a gameplay perspective exactly, more from an action game philosophy standpoint? It's been a long time since I played Ninja Gaiden Black, so for 'good action games' that illustrate what I mean, there's a very small selection that apply.

I really enjoy Devil May Cry because of how restrained(?) the gameplay feels. Almost a similar kind of appeal as Dark Souls or Street Fighter. You can't just mash combos endlessly, you can't block, you're very limited! It's over-the-top, but it also has a solid foundation. I think Platinum's games carry over the spectacle and the combos, but they lost a lot of the groundedness.

The issue could be represented, metaphorically and actually, by Dante versus Bayonetta (I only played Bayo 2, so I can only comment on that). I think Dante is cooler because he works with less. He's the strongest guy in the universe because he's pretty physically strong, and really good at fights. This is displayed often in cutscenes where he does cool, superhumanly skillful things with his weapons. Bayonetta just seems to have all the powers, and always wins without having to even put in that display of skill. It's boring. When I was watching the cutscenes, I felt like Bayonetta too obviously outmatched her opponents. And that worked for Dante in DMC4 when he was being mysterious and not the main character, but I can't handle it all the time.

Platinum games make me feel more like Bayonetta than Dante, basically.

That said, I own two copies of Revengeance, and will obviously play through the second game as well.

EDIT:
Where else do you see the next thing in the genre coming from?
For me? Bloodborne. I can't wait to see a faster, more aggressive version of souls. It could very well be bridging the gap from great action-rpg to just great action.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
Benpasko said:
Platinum games make me feel more like Bayonetta than Dante, basically.

That said, I own two copies of Revengeance, and will obviously play through the second game as well.

EDIT:
Where else do you see the next thing in the genre coming from?
For me? Bloodborne. I can't wait to see a faster, more aggressive version of souls. It could very well be bridging the gap from great action-rpg to just great action.
Interesting. I hear you on the Bayonetta thing and it's true, she is completely badass and even on infinite climax it is more about scoring high than just surviving. Dante is similar except there is a real chance to die too. Ninja Gaiden is pretty much the dead opposite. If you play Momiji's or Ayane's chapters and focus on essence I tip my hat to you :)

But Raiden isn't Bayonetta. You played the games, so you know this. He actually loses an early battle. There is actually some stealth involved (espcially the dogs dlc relies on it ) And the gorillas are always there to spoil your day.

re:bloodborne. interesting choice. Seems like a bit of a stretch but then again Dark2 was a step up gameplay wise. Maybe they can take it all the way into action territory... Feeling a little soul'd out myself these days but that can change fast when the reviews start rolling in.

May 14, 2013
Please.
PLEASE
Let this be the version that has a full-length Jetstream Sam campaign instead of a half-hour long DLC. I don't care how it's done; time travel, cloning, necromancy. Just make it happen, somehow!

Benpasko said:
I really enjoy Devil May Cry because of how restrained(?) the gameplay feels. Almost a similar kind of appeal as Dark Souls or Street Fighter. You can't just mash combos endlessly, you can't block, you're very limited! It's over-the-top, but it also has a solid foundation. I think Platinum's games carry over the spectacle and the combos, but they lost a lot of the groundedness.
I feel the same way, and I really don't appreciate Platinum's obsession with mid-fight QTEs. I wish they would realize that it's only cool the first time and every subsequent time it's done only becomes tedium that stops the action dead in its tracks.

For me DMC has always been about smoothly and coolly moving from combo to combo while managing enemies and keeping my combo meter high. Which is why Platinum's style of game is very jarring how it tends to stop mid-combo to do a QTE or a button mash because I hit a magic weakspot or went into a different phase on an enemy.

That said, Platinum is also the only company still making these kinds of games so I'll take what I can get.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Hmmm well I would likely buy it I enjoyed the first game but it was not Platinums finest hour imo my main hang up was the absolutely atrocious camera it was like playing one of the early tomb raiders again. Its the only time I have seen one of my friends physically put the controller down and refuse to play because of the camera (hes not great at these games anyway and the added difficulty of actually manoeuvring the camera to see, under the pressure of high speed action did not sit well with him).

Okami, and the two Bayonetta games are Platinums finest imo although DMC 1 and Vanquish arent far off (still havent played Wonderful 101 yet) if they could fix a few major issues I had with it namely terribad camera and unfun boss battles (subjective I know but hated them in this game) as well as tighten up a few mechanics and balanced the VR missions I would be more hype but as it stands I would prefer pretty much anything else from Platinum (if they are indeed making it.)

The cut anything design was cool in theory but got old quite fast and tbh tedious on a more positive note the controls were as responsive and slick as I expected from Platinum. Now back to Okami..again which strangely now I think about it also has the cut anything ability in it and its much less of a chore to use but thats unfair as the games cant be compared directly and try different things.