Metal Gear Rising Revengence

Tomaius

Jan 25, 2012
Seriously, what a train wreck. This game is absolutely broken, it doesn't tell you about how its mechanics work, weighs you down with tons of pointless moves, and has a blocking technique which doesn't always work and is incredibly vague. And then there are the bosses, oh the bosses, if its not the relentless attacking, vulnerability only to the broken parrying technique, lack of an effective dodging move (Offensive defensive doesn't count) then it is the camera arbitraily yanking control away from you.

This game got repeated 7/8's from game critics, but it's a totally worthless game, frequently frustrating which blots out what fun there is. I am seriously struggling why people didn't write this off as a total turkey.

(Incidentally take note, this is how you rant. Profane language and offensive remarks during a rant, unless for comedy, take away from your point no matter how clever your actual argument is)

Yagami_Kira

May 18, 2012
Incidentally take note, complaining about things being "broken", when they work for everyone else, is not a rant, its an admission that you just suck at the game.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
1. The whole prologue is a tutorial that tells you about all the basic mechanics before solidifying them by putting you into situations where performing said mechanics is a good way to win. Dunno what your problem is, but I had no problem grasping the most basic of basic survival techniques.

2. The blocking technique always works, when you do it properly. Press the stick toward an attack that's coming at you and hit the block button. Time and aim your block correctly, you'll parry the enemy and go straight into Zendatsu. It really is as simple as "press the stick toward an attack and block."

3. Not every boss is vulnerable only to the parrying technique. Actually, none of them, as far as I can remember, are vulnerable only to parries(feel free to prove me wrong, if you can, but there isn't a single boss that I killed with nothing but parries, parries and more parries. Or even parried all that much to begin with).

4. Care to enlighten me on how Offensive Defensive is not a viable method of dodging? It dodges several attacks pretty well and you can perform it in any direction at any time. I'm having a difficult time understanding why Offensive Defensive doesn't count. It most certainly does.

5. Not sure what happened for you, but my camera was never yanked out of my control. Arbitrarily or otherwise.

Your rant's a bit difficult to take seriously, mate. Your complaints can be summed up thusly: I didn't pay attention to the tutorial and this game sucks because I don't know how to play.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
I thought the game was awesome fun and the parry technique was rather easy to master. Also the boss battles with their escalating soundtrack were literally the greatest ever (fucking amazing when the vocals pop in).

Jun 11, 2009
Exius Xavarus said:
2. The blocking technique always works, when you do it properly. Press the stick toward an attack that's coming at you and hit the block button. Time and aim your block correctly, you'll parry the enemy and go straight into Zendatsu. It really is as simple as "press the stick toward an attack and block."
Western games: "THE BLOCK BUTTON DOESN'T FUCKING WORK SO FUCKING STUPID I HATE IT ASDLKJFHASLKDJFHALKSDJ"
Japanese games: "The block button works perfectly. Stop sucking at blocking, idiot."

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
Professor Lupin Madblood said:
Western games: "THE BLOCK BUTTON DOESN'T FUCKING WORK SO FUCKING STUPID I HATE IT ASDLKJFHASLKDJFHALKSDJ"
Japanese games: "The block button works perfectly. Stop sucking at blocking, idiot."
Channeling a bit of Pat, Matt and Woolie?

Jun 11, 2009
Norrdicus said:
Professor Lupin Madblood said:
Channeling a bit of Pat, Matt and Woolie?
Those people are my inspiration for life's philosophy.

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
I haven't had any of these problems.

Block works fine as long as you haven't been banging your head on a computer desk, I end up using all of those "tons of pointless moves" in combos, and the tutorial at the start of the game was quite well done IMO.

I don't know who you were fighting who was "vulnerable only to the broken parries", but I think you may have been doing it wrong. I don't remember any boss that you can only parry against to win.

Lack of an effective dodging move? How is the dodge in this game ineffective?

Sure there is an attack at the start of it, but then he goes into dodge where you can go either around the enemy, or straight backwards to AVOID ATTACKS.

If that is not a dodge, then I don't know what is.

So yeah, this isn't a rant because the game you are complaining about, and all the mechanics you mentioned, aren't "broken" and seems more user error than anything.

PS. I would have found your "rant" less tedious if you had swore.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Blocking works perfectly fine. There's an absolutely MASSIVE window for your block to work (when you're playing as Raiden). I do agree that the game was terrible at explaining exactly how the block works, but it's really not THAT difficult to figure it out yourself. If you're really having trouble then you should watch some tutorial videos on youtube, they explain the blocking mechanics perfectly.

If you think the block is inconsistent maybe it's because you haven't realized that you can only block red attacks, and not yellow ones.

Honestly, the only thing I really had a problem with in this game is that I absolutely hated Ninja Run. I think the game would have been better with a dedicated dodge button rather than having ninja run (which they did with Jetstream Sam, and it's FUCKING AWESOME).

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
dumbseizure said:
I don't know who you were fighting who was "vulnerable only to the broken parries", but I think you may have been doing it wrong. I don't remember any boss that you can only parry against to win.
Probably Monsoon. That move he does where he hides in the smoke and the comes at you from every direction is basically a wake up call that blocking is pretty fucking important and that you'll die without it. Seriously, he basically kills you with that move on hard difficulty, so yeah, I'd say you HAVE TO parry against him.

Still, this isn't a problem because the parry system works perfectly fine.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
dumbseizure said:
Probably Monsoon. That move he does where he hides in the smoke and the comes at you from every direction is basically a wake up call that blocking is pretty fucking important and that you'll die without it. Seriously, he basically kills you with that move on hard difficulty, so yeah, I'd say you HAVE TO parry against him.

You don't have to parry Monsoon at all. You can block his assault perfectly fine(blocking and parrying follow the same motions, but you get my point). When you wear him out, use Blade Mode and strike his head. Run over this his head and unleash Hell on Earth until he gets back up. Rinse and repeat until he starts throwing things at you, which you can dodge or slice to bits with Blade Mode.

Back to the point at hand: Monsoon isn't "vulnerable only to broken parries," since landing an actual parry won't get you anywhere with him. You can block him(and have to when he throws a smoke grenade), but you're better off using an EMP or blocking until you've tired him out, than trying to actually land a perfect parry.

Xukog

May 21, 2011
Ok I'm sorry,but bullshit. The block always works,aside from when enemies gloiw yellow,in which case your meant to dodge,I had trouble when I first started,but a bit of practice goes a long way towards making the game easier,and why doesn't offensive defense count as a dodge? That move was extremely helpful,allowing me to DODGE out of the way of enemy attacks.Hell I was stupid and didn't use it much during boss fights,and then when I later replayed the game,the bosses were much easier,(Minus Monsoon,who by the way,can be stunned with emps if you have trouble parrying his attacks.) Also what were the camera issues? The only one I remember is an issue with the prologue boss fight,which was piss easy anyway,just blocking it's attacks let you tear it to pieces.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Yagami_Kira said:
Incidentally take note, complaining about things being "broken", when they work for everyone else, is not a rant, its an admission that you just suck at the game.
I'd only post [2] or QFT, but then I'd get in trouble for having a low-content post, so instead I'm going to prattle on for a moment in agreement with you...

OP: I played the game and everything worked fine for me. Bosses were decidedly epic and I never had trouble with any of them, in fact I only think the Dog robot was the one I died on.

I suppose you just have to have some common sense and actually click buttons to see what they do, or at the very least check the controls in the start menu or, hell, even the game booklet, which apparently you did not.

And the block? LOL

Have you seen Angry Joe's review of the game? I had found out about his invincible blocking method before I'd even seen the review. This link here [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsoriLxNN6g&t=11m10s] will take you to the exact part of the video I'm talking about.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
dumbseizure said:

Meh, this attack only catches you if you are not careful, is very easy to escape the cloud.
Metal Gear Rising is dificult but it's not unfair. The game gives all the skills you need to be a absolute badass, use it properly and you are golden.

The only time I felt cheated on was the recover energy attack of the Senator, this was before I discover that weak spot on his back. Felt very stupid at the time.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
Exius Xavarus said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
dumbseizure said:

You don't have to parry Monsoon at all. You can block his assault perfectly fine(blocking and parrying follow the same motions, but you get my point). When you wear him out, use Blade Mode and strike his head. Run over this his head and unleash Hell on Earth until he gets back up. Rinse and repeat until he starts throwing things at you, which you can dodge or slice to bits with Blade Mode.

Back to the point at hand: Monsoon isn't "vulnerable only to broken parries," since landing an actual parry won't get you anywhere with him. You can block him(and have to when he throws a smoke grenade), but you're better off using an EMP or blocking until you've tired him out, than trying to actually land a perfect parry.
I'm pretty sure I also saw some video of someone attacking Monsoon before he attacks you in the cloud, and you can also just run out of the cloud as well.