Metal Gear Solid V Will be The Last MGS, For Real This Time, Says Kojima

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Metal Gear Solid V Will be The Last MGS, For Real This Time, Says Kojima

Hideo Kojima says that the Metal Gear Solid story will finally come to a complete close in Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.

Hideo Kojima claims that his upcoming Metal Gear Solid title, claimed it was his last Metal Gear [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/metal%20gear%20solid%20v%20the%20phantom%20pain?os=metal+gear+solid+v+the+phantom+pain]. But this time, he is pretty adamant. Speaking to IGN, Kojima said that "[MGSV] will be the final 'Metal Gear Solid,'" adding "Even if the 'Metal Gear' franchise continues, this is the last 'Metal Gear.'"

He further clarified by explaining that "I always say 'this will be my last Metal Gear, but the games in the series that I've personally designed and produced -- Metal Gear on MSX, MG2, MGS1, 2, 3, 4, Peace Walker, and now MGSV-- are what constitute a single 'Metal Gear Saga.' With MGSV, I'm finally closing the loop on that saga."

Kojima certainly wants to take the series out with a bang, and claims that The Phantom Pain is considerably bigger than any other Metal Gear game he's ever made. In fact, last year he was actually worried that it may be too big for players to finish [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132709-Kojima-Worried-MGSV-The-Phantom-Pain-Too-Big-for-Players-to-Finish], and boasted it was over two hundred times larger than Ground Zeroes.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain will release September 1 for the Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 and PS3, and on September 15 for the PC.

Do you think Kojima is actually telling the truth this time, or do you think that Snake will live on as long as Konami can milk him for?

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/04/kojima-says-metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain-is-the-last-metal-gear-solid]

Fsyco

Feb 18, 2014
MGS5 stars Big Boss (Solid Snake's Dad), and not Solid Snake. MGS4 was the conclusion to Solid Snake's saga. He might appear in Phantom Pain, but it's definitely more Big Boss's story. Because in the words of MatPat, Metal Gear must be complicated.

I'd like to think that this is the last one, but somehow I doubt that Konami would let their biggest cash-cow go like this. They could always make spinoffs and prequels (And Metal Gear Rising was pretty kickass), but I really hope this is the end for the main saga.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I'll believe it if he dies. I say if because I'm pretty sure Kojima doesn't goddamn age (which is sorta humorous considering MGS4). No way is that man 51!

Seriously though, what with him making Silent Hills, if that goes well, he may be right. If not, he'll probably go back to Metal Gear.

Arpegus

Jan 15, 2011
I had hoped the reason they were changing Snake's English VA was so that Datid Hayter and Kiefer Sutherland could co-star in a MGX-MG2 remake. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it happens someday, since a remake wouldn't technically be a MGS6.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Considering he has been saying this since MGS2 I am somewhat skeptical Kojima means it. While I love the series I would rather see it end with Kojima if he wants to call time rather than have it continue on for endless sequels under someone else. Although I kind of still want to see a prequel game with The Boss in WWII, so maybe Kojima could have one more game in him... please? :p

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Cue next MGS game being directed by Kojima because his inbox got spammed with even more death threats from a collective untroubled by the complexities of life.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Steven Bogos said:
...Snake will live on as long as Konami can milk him for?
Milking the ol' snake, eh? ;D

Hmm. Sounds like either waffling (no more Metal Gear, but more Metal Gear) or over-promising (200 times Ground Zero? It was pretty small, but c'mon.).

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
...Solid Snake's story will finally come to a complete close...

...Solid Snake out with a bang...
This game takes place in 1984. Solid Snake would be 12 years old, and would not have joined the Army yet, let alone FOXHOUND. Most importantly, he wouldn't have met Big Boss so he wouldn't even be known as Solid Snake yet.

I doubt his story is going out with a bang this time around, considering that already happened in MGS4.

[Yes, I know he really meant Naked Snake/Punished Snake/Venom Snake/Whateverthefucktheyarecallinghimthisweek Snake]

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Scrythe said:
Steven Bogos said:

This game takes place in 1984. Solid Snake would be 12 years old, and would not have joined the Army yet, let alone FOXHOUND. Most importantly, he wouldn't have met Big Boss so he wouldn't even be known as Solid Snake yet.

I doubt his story is going out with a bang this time around, considering that already happened in MGS4.

[Yes, I know he really meant Naked Snake/Punished Snake/Venom Snake/Whateverthefucktheyarecallinghimthisweek Snake]
My bad. I can't keep up with all these MGS characters, considering they are literally clones...

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
Scrythe said:
Steven Bogos said:

My bad. I can't keep up with all these MGS characters, considering they are literally clones...
I don't mean to sound racist, but all snakes look the same to me.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
008Zulu said:
I think Kojima and Molyneux have a thing going on to see who can spout the most BS.
Oh fuck! Can you imagine Kojima and Molyneux getting together to make an open-world God game set in the Metal Gear world?! I'm actually at a loss for words at how many promises they'd make...

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Silentpony said:
008Zulu said:
I think Kojima and Molyneux have a thing going on to see who can spout the most BS.
Oh fuck! Can you imagine Kojima and Molyneux getting together to make an open-world God game set in the Metal Gear world?! I'm actually at a loss for words at how many promises they'd make...
Might I suggest a slight correction; "I'm actually at a loss for words at how many promises they'd break."

But seriously, I do think he just says it'll be his last game so his fans will say 'No, don't quit!' to justify his staying and churning out the same games.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Considering how much content some of the MGS games have had (how many people didn't even notice that the final story chapters of Peace Walker were in the game?), the thought of even more than that is actually kind of frightening.

Hopefully they'll bring back skateboarding.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Kojima has said 'This is the last one guys, really' since MGS2. And has said it with every following game except for like Snake Eater.

He'll be making Metal Gear until the day he dies.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
God, I hope not. I love the series. Seriously, I love it sooo much.
Anyway, I still doubt this will happen. He's announced the franchisees retirement more times than Terry Funk has announced his own.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Depends Mr. Kojima... there any plans for a new Zone of the Enders?...

Yeah, I thought so. At least he has Silent Hill 5 on his docket to keep him fresh and immortal until MGS6 is greenlit.