Metal Gear Solid - Which order should I play them in?

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Metal gear Sold 3:snake eater
Portal ops(psp game)
Peace Walker(comes with the HD collection)
Metal Gear
Metal gear 2:Solid Snake
MGS1
MGS2:sons of liberty
MGS4:Guns of the patriot
Basically the order this guy says, but I never played the Metal Gear (non-solid?) games and I understand it all pretty well, so you could probably leave them out and still understand what going on. Also Portable ops doesn't really have much influence on the overall story, though it is very good so worth playing if you had the chance.

Sutter Cane

Jun 27, 2010
Release order is best, as if you play 3 first, it will end up kind of spoiling certain plot twists in the 2nd game, even though the third is a prequel.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Fat_Hippo said:
Jekken6 said:
Release order is best.
This. The story is important, but so is the evolution of the gameplay. Playing 3, then 1, and then 2 will just feel really strange from a gameplay perspective. Besides, if you play them by release order, you are exposed to the story in the order that was intended, which is more important than the chronological order of events, in my opinion.
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Going from the semi-recent gameplay of 3, to the downright archaic look and feel of Solid, then back to something in between the two in 2 is sure to ruin the experience.

Then there are the things that happen in 3 that you're just not supposed to know in Solid or 2.

I'd say that starting with 3 ruins the experience.

Sangreal Gothcraft

Feb 28, 2011
Go with one.....the rest where all confusing Messes of Cut scene La le lu la lo and more Confusing messes of cut scenes and plot holes and patriots. Then go with 3 because it has that games bond feeling to it.

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
Start with MGS1 and then work your way up that ladder.

It was released that way for a reason.